Sign in to follow this  
mackt

Life after a E39 540

I am slightly tempted (only a little) to get an Audi S8

But really what are your options once you have had a 540? I'd hate to get a new car and find it didn't feel right and I love the V8.

Can the change be made successfully or do I just acknowledge that its Bimmers forever?

I look forward to comments.

Thanks

Hahaha I ask myself this all the time. What other car out there can match the E39 540 value for money these days.

I also thought about the S8. But got scared away from them when I was shown the bill for a cambelt replacement. Actually I think that was the smaller one. And I think they now have a chain in the new models.

For me it will have to be the E39 M5. Or the E60 545.

Looks like I am stuck with BMW. lol

I am slightly tempted (only a little) to get an Audi S8

But really what are your options once you have had a 540? I'd hate to get a new car and find it didn't feel right and I love the V8.

Can the change be made successfully or do I just acknowledge that its Bimmers forever?

I look forward to comments.

Thanks

Have you sold the 540i, or are you looking to trade it?

I think the S6 is a better proposition than the S8 - newer car and more agile. In saying that, Tradin Post in Parnell have had a blue NZ new S8 in stock for a rather long time - I am sure they would be keen to do a deal on it!

What about a Merc E55? Same category as the M5, but a lot cheaper. An E55 is on my current "to buy list"!

We have an 04 E55. With the supercharger it has more torque than you will ever need e.g it can light the tyres up while towing my race car no problem. Though there is many horror stories to do with supercharger problems. It is my fathers Daily. He continues to buy mechanical warranties for it. The cheap ones are usually Jap or Singapoor imports as with the BMW's.

Is always a laugh showing Holden/Ford drivers what a fast Sedan really is.

I transitioned from an e34 535 to the e39 540 and thought that was a huge jump at the time. After 3 years I made the change from e39 to e60. I wouldn't call myself a BMW only person, what what I do like about the brand is that the cars drive very similar in road feel and comfort and you almost feel at one with the car.

I would be seriously suggesting the e60 545 as a progressive step, if liked the e39s

E60 545i or 550i. Perfect cars IMHO.

A M550i with a Quaife LSD fitted is my realistic dream car… goes off into dream land… best get to work if I want this to happen in a hurry.

Have not seen many 550's driving around. Maybe one or two. Most E60's I see are 545's.

Would love a Quaife LSD for my E39 right now. They are not too badly priced.

I guess the S8 looked great after watching Ronin the other night, mind you the e43 M5/535i chase was pretty cool too.

Must be due for a trip to Auckland to do a recon (no 545's around here)...

I guess the S8 looked great after watching Ronin the other night, mind you the e43 M5/535i chase was pretty cool too.

Must be due for a trip to Auckland to do a recon (no 545's around here)...

There are a few Audi RS6's around for reasonable $$ at the moment, not the current model, the 4.2 V8 Bi-Turbo (circa 2003).

A few from TradeMe...