Sign in to follow this  
stargirl.suter

E46 2000 320 Business sound

Hi all,

Newbie here, have only had Bmw for 2months and my speakers are 'pinging' or is the correct term 'clipping'?

with loudness. It's not really that loud either. It's bugging the heck outta me.

If this has been discussed earlier, apologies in advance, but I did do a search and couldn't find much.

Question: Is it acting like a limiter and expected of the Business stereo (6 cd stacker, tape and radio) and if so, is there a way to get around this without pulling the whole thing out, or replacing it?

The speakers don't sound to be distorting (honestly, it's not that loud) it's just a slight 'blip' sound with the loudness and bass. Really annoying after holding off (for 6 years!) putting a decent stereo in my last car, cuz I kept telling myself I'd get a decent CD player in the next one!

Thanks in advance...

Stargirl :unsure:

could the speakers themselves be popped/cracked ?

If we knew what area you were from we could offer advice on who to go to, to check it for you. There are a few Audio wizz kids on here as well that might be able to check it for you as well. It may just be a speaker problem or a fault in the sterio or aerial. Does it only happen on AM/FM or does it do it when you play CD's as well ??

If we knew what area you were from we could offer advice on who to go to, to check it for you. There are a few Audio wizz kids on here as well that might be able to check it for you as well. It may just be a speaker problem or a fault in the sterio or aerial. Does it only happen on AM/FM or does it do it when you play CD's as well ??

Hi Glenn,

It's happening with cd, radio and tape - maybe it is the speakers? So there's no limiters that you know of?

A fellow work mate has a 98 318i M sport and he reckoned it could be a limiter of sorts - said my model is a very 'safe nannies' car! Doesn't look like a nannies car... haha!

Cheers, S

Hi Glenn,

It's happening with cd, radio and tape - maybe it is the speakers? So there's no limiters that you know of?

A fellow work mate has a 98 318i M sport and he reckoned it could be a limiter of sorts - said my model is a very 'safe nannies' car! Doesn't look like a nannies car... haha!

Cheers, S

If you have the standard BMW Business RDS tape deck, then there are no special limiters. The E46 does not even use an external amplifier (unless you have the Harmon Kardon premium sound package)

The Business RDS amplifier simply amplifies until the physical voltage limitations of the 12V supply come into play. Then clipping occurs. Just like any other standard car radio on the market.

To verify your problem:

1. Use a well-known CD, that you are familiar with on your home stereo

2. Play the CD, and set the stereo, in turn, for Rear Left, Rear Right, Front Left then Front Right

3. Once you have the stereo set for eg Rear Left, listen to the music carefully. Check tweeter and woofer (if fitted - speaker packages vary)

Repeat for all other speakers.

It is highly unlikley that all speakers are blown at the same time, unless the previous owner played a lot of loud music with a lot of bass at high volumes for long times. This can readily wreck the speakers.

It's very common for the factory speakers copper coilings to get dry / brittle and scratch the inside of the driver armeture. This causes a fuzz or farting / cracking sound on certain music. It happened to my front speaker and last about 6months until one day it just stopped. It hasn't come back since. I use to have several songs that it would happen on as they resonated a certain bass note.

You have three options. 1) replace the speaker for a factory unit 2 ) have a look at the BSW sound direct replacement speaker system or 3 ) leave it until it goes away (broken copper coil wire wears out).

could be the foam surrounds or rubber sourrounds have perrished (or broken away from the edge of the speaker frame) and now the speaker cone bottoms out or hitting the sides of the pole piece etc.

Hi all,

Thanks for all the advice - sorry, forgot to mention I'm in New Plymouth.

Jochen, I will check individual speakers when I get the chance today and get back to you.

I really couldn't drive around listening to it for 6months to see if it's a coil though, it's quite irritating.

For info, I have the Bass up as high as it can go, and there's not really that much coming out. Kinda deflating!

If I have to replace any/all speakers with factory units, where should I go? Would need someone to install too ... I'm pretty handy with home audio etc, but as to car audio? I'd feel better knowing it's been done properly.

Cheers,

S

Hi all,

Ok, have checked each speaker and looks like both front and left rear are shot... <_<

It's not as bad in the rear as the front, tho so could put up with it for a while until finances are more condusive to replacement...

I'm not looking for anything fancy, but I do like my sounds, so want something with a bit more Bass than the originals - not the heavy banging kind of bass, but more the deep background sound of bass (if you know what I mean.) Clarity is also a must.

What would you suggest? And thanks in advance.

Cheers,

S

sorry, forgot to mention I'm in New Plymouth.

another one from good ol NP

Im no good with the car audo side of things sorry.

but welcome btw

edit: For a place to go and get new speakers i would go to Subzero, on the left just as you go over the Waiwakaiho Bridge heading north.

Edited by _BRS_

i have some options .

std and after market .

do you have picture of the speakers so i can see what size and depth etc .

i have a few from e39 , e38 models some are original and good condition some have been replaced with uprated units .

let me know what type you have in there now .

thanks

can email me if you like

brenta1@clear.net.nz

Sorry Brent... but if I was the original poster.... I would go for good quality new and buy something that suited what or how I listened to my music... second hand may not suit or work for the OP....sounds like she likes alot of base. Just been through all of this with my eldest daughter. New sterio & speakers in her Corolla Z Touring

Edited by *Glenn*

Well, not door banging bass anyway... and my hearing IS important to me - I don't fancy going deaf, but when I play something like (and here I'm showing my age!) Dire Straits with the great guitar and drums, I like the nuances and clarity to be right - ya know?

Brent, as to seeing what size/type of speakers I have - I've not even thought about opening things up to take a decent look. Not yet anyway. :rolleyes:

I tend to agree with Glen tho - new would be better, but thanks Brent.

Thanks for all the info - might stop into Subzero as BRS mentioned and take look...

Thanks guys.

S

I assume some aftermarkets would work as long as they are the same size?

I'd suggest Alpine TypeS, good bang for buck.

Here's the guide for installing BSW speakers, should help you through how to remove your existing speakers and replace them http://www.bavariansoundwerks.com/product-...-_E46_Sedan.pdf

If you're not looking for big bass that booms then I'd find some factory speakers. The speakers are mounted in an odd baffle so you can't simply chuck some aftermarket speakers in there. You're never going to get big bass from small front components unless you spend a fait whack of diy time and money improving the front doors as an enclosure. Even then you'd be better off directing that cash to a sub and amp.

Speak to someone like Ray at HellBM and see if he's got any front speakers in stock 021 2 HELL BM (021 2435526)