Sign in to follow this  
jjs

CAR Magazine - what happened?

Does anyone know what happened to the New Zealand edition of CAR magazine? From memory it launched here in about November last year, but the last edition I purchased was in April. I have not seen any on the shelves since.

I figure they pulled the title because the readership wasn't high enough. But in saying that, CAR UK must have pretty deep pockets.

I am disappointed as it was a very good read and had good NZ content and editorials too.

Hopefully someone can fill me in!

Just buy Autocar, it’s the best mag by far, a lot better than the Australian publications even.

I subscribe which saves a few $$$ and you get it 1 hour earlier than the shops do.

They now feature a UK Autocar article every month so you get to read a different onion on things and see some cars we don’t get or will have to wait for.

This month’s is quite good, new Mazda 2.5 MPS, Mk6 Golf GTI vs Facelift Focus XR5, New Audi Supercharged S4 against the 335i (witch I thought strange as they are priced far apart and the 335i isn’t the flagship)... cover car is the awesomeness Ferrari 458 Italia!

Worth a look in if you like new cars.

Anyone remember the Original NZ Car magazine, I have about 100 from the 80’s with some epic stuff in them, it’s cool looking back at cars from yesteryear and reading what was said about them, we are so lucky the choice we have these days.

Crockett I had a subscription to it. They sent out a letter saying basically that they were looking at restructuring the NZ company and as a result would not be publishing any new copies until further notice. They also said if you want a refund contact us and we will arrange. Sadly after multiple attempts to contact them to get my money back I am still out of pocket.

I had previously bought the UK version which I am now having to do again.

Yes, I am a subscriber of NZ Autocar but the content disappoints me.

Last night I read the 335i vs S4 article in the latest edition. It didn't really say much or raise anything contentious - the whole article was just confirming what eveyone knows, Audis are understated family machines which in S or RS form can be real weapons whereas the BMW is more of the focussed unashamed drivers car.

One thing I can't understand is why NO New Zealand car mags carry any content on used cars. I love flicking through the UK Autocar and seeing reviews on used cars, advice to buyers and bargains of the month.

My favourite mags are Evo, Car and Octane. Shame they are all over $15 ea, or over $20ea if you want airmail...

Crockett I had a subscription to it. They sent out a letter saying basically that they were looking at restructuring the NZ company and as a result would not be publishing any new copies until further notice. They also said if you want a refund contact us and we will arrange. Sadly after multiple attempts to contact them to get my money back I am still out of pocket.

I had previously bought the UK version which I am now having to do again.

That is interesting, I didn't think the UK parent company would let the NZ mag fail. But maybe they looked at the numbers and thought the only readers were those who previously bought the UK mag.

The lack of refund is a bit rubbish. I was tempted to subscribe, but never got around to it. How many issues do they owe you?

Because it’s a new car magazine that tells you about new product, they told you about the 1996 Toyota Previa in 1995. Look at Classic Car and Performance car magazine, I get these too, Performance cars is the worst Magazine of them all with closed minded opinions and a complete lack of knowledge and often latent bullshit when it comes to figures and information, worth a laugh though and an interesting look at the teenage car scene.

I just thought if funny to compare the 335i to the S4, and they justified it by saying “the 335i used to cost this much so it’s a fair comparison†there is a $30,000 price difference, quite a chunk. Put the natural rival M3 up against the Audi and see what the outcome is.

I get annoyed that they feature the big players every month but don’t multi test brands that sell in smaller numbers like Saab, Volvo, Renault, Skoda etc. Back handers. I think so.

There News is very up to date though and there is some good content .

One thing I can't understand is why NO New Zealand car mags carry any content on used cars. I love flicking through the UK Autocar and seeing reviews on used cars, advice to buyers and bargains of the month.

Agree, Autocar used to have a section every month with a 2nd hand car reveiw of a readers car but for whatever reason it is no longer in it.

That is interesting, I didn't think the UK parent company would let the NZ mag fail. But maybe they looked at the numbers and thought the only readers were those who previously bought the UK mag.

The lack of refund is a bit rubbish. I was tempted to subscribe, but never got around to it. How many issues do they owe you?

Sadly around 9. My wife organised the sub at the time they were giving away the Peter Brock book with new subscribers. Mind you still haven't got around to reading it.

I also quite like Evo but I try to not buy that and Car in the same month as they often carry reviews on the same cars and have the same latest info.

Edited by AntG

That does suck AntG. What other Magazine’s do they publish? Maybe you could get them to send you something else as a substitute. Better than nothing.

Because it’s a new car magazine that tells you about new product, they told you about the 1996 Toyota Previa in 1995. Look at Classic Car and Performance car magazine, I get these too, Performance cars is the worst Magazine of them all with closed minded opinions and a complete lack of knowledge and often latent bullshit when it comes to figures and information, worth a laugh though and an interesting look at the teenage car scene.

I just thought if funny to compare the 335i to the S4, and they justified it by saying “the 335i used to cost this much so it’s a fair comparison†there is a $30,000 price difference, quite a chunk. Put the natural rival M3 up against the Audi and see what the outcome is.

I get annoyed that they feature the big players every month but don’t multi test brands that sell in smaller numbers like Saab, Volvo, Renault, Skoda etc. Back handers. I think so.

There News is very up to date though and there is some good content .

Yes, I agree that Autocar is good - but it could be a hell of a lot better. I needs more used car coverage and more actual reviews - not just tweaking car company PR releases.

I would love the opportunity to run my own car magazine. I think Driver was recently for sale - I think that is a mag with a lot of potential... now, I just need to find some financial backers.

Sadly around 9. My wife organised the sub at the time they were giving away the Peter Brock book with new subscribers. Mind you still haven't got around to reading it.

Did the letter have the company's name on it? If so, you should go to the Companies Office website and find the details of their head office. A phone call to chase them would probably be more effective than sending an email / writing a letter. The threat of advising Fair Go also works a treat...

I stopped reading car mag's a long time ago...

I found them altogether bland... you could almost expect what they would say before you read it...

Plus the obligitory burnout pictures... I use to read a lot of Car and Driver / Road & Track in the states and found them much nicer to read...

Too many of the storys in the new mags are less about the cars and more about the people writting them...

Edited by DRTDVL

Road & Track extensively test everything. Fantastic if you like to know every stat. unfortunately the cars are normally a different spec to what we get or we don’t get them at all and like the UK mags its half advertising.

ya those two where the car mags i grew up with... i came to nz and was sorely dissapointed in the NZ / AUS mags...

Road & Track extensively test everything. Fantastic if you like to know every stat. unfortunately the cars are normally a different spec to what we get or we don’t get them at all and like the UK mags its half advertising.

I have been buying it each month - I think that it is a great read.

I have been buying it each month - I think that it is a great read.

Driver magazine for new stuff, and Classic Driver for old(er) stuff. Best NZ magazines of their genre.

^ Agree.

In evo the guy that does the long term test/ownership with all the Lambo's is worth the purchase price alone.

I read performance bmw and total bmw...only magazines I really need.

The EVO lambo has done the most KMs on a track for any Muci outside of Lamborghini's own cars

:lol: NZ car mags :lol:

Nice. What new car publication do you buy?

NZ publications are good because its NZ spec cars tested on NZ roads. I enjoy EVO but half the cars are not available here and there roads are completely different. I enjoy a Kiwi’s perspective on a kiwi new car on kiwi roads. By the time you get a copy of a UK mag its at least a month old up to two months old and I have already read most of the news else wear.

They also have news pertaining to our market and tell me when cars will be available and what they will cost.

Autocar doubles Drivers sales, Im not expert but that is a good sign it’s a superior publication.

Edited by Apex

I'm kinda over Evo - it's a good magazine, but there's only so many times you can read about someone else driving a car. I do like the features they do of rallying etc. I had a sub for 6 months and didn't renew.

I much prefer Top Gear the TV show - it's good to be a bit irreverant and doesn't take itself too seriously (like Evo).

The UK is heaven for car mags - any decent bookshop will have a wall dedicated to them.

Am over Total BMW - nothing interesting

A lot of car mags just push products, which gets a little boring after a while.

Fav magazine of all time was Speed, an aussie mag which was a little bit tuner based, but intelligently so and they had some great articles etc. Although, I might not like it as much now

Road & Track is great, as is Car & Driver.

my 2p

I quite like Speed too and I had the first 12/13 issues. I can't find it anywhere since that but it's been a few years now...

Autocar Weekly (UK) gets my vote but at over $10 each per week is a bit on the expansive side. It has a bit of everything, new car, used car, news and extensive tests and comparison.

Nice. What new car publication do you buy?

NZ publications are good because its NZ spec cars tested on NZ roads. I enjoy EVO but half the cars are not available here and there roads are completely different. I enjoy a Kiwi’s perspective on a kiwi new car on kiwi roads. By the time you get a copy of a UK mag its at least a month old up to two months old and I have already read most of the news else wear.

They also have news pertaining to our market and tell me when cars will be available and what they will cost.

Autocar doubles Drivers sales, Im not expert but that is a good sign it’s a superior publication.

I dont because of this reason. Kiwi car mags just dont get to drive everything. So while you get a reveiw of a certain type of car they base it on availiblity from the dealers (which is fair enough) but its hardly as coloured and diverse as its overseas couterparts. I find them pretty dry because of this.

I do enjoy reading NZ v8's however.