Sign in to follow this  
bekker

Had to share

Finally, after many, many hours of hard labour my front brakes are basically ready to go on. After cleaning, then wire brushing (power drill type) back to bare metal twice (they literally start rusting overnight!), then four coats, baking and reassembly (which I actually now enjoy) I have finished the fronts.

Thought I'd put up a few pics as I'm pretty happy with the results so far and my partner just thinks I'm completely insane.

The rears have also been prepared but I ran out of gold paint so they will have to wait for another tin.

It was actually very satisfying .

Hope I don't bore too many people.

Cheers.

post-851-1250755436_thumb.jpg

post-851-1250755541_thumb.jpg

post-851-1250755577_thumb.jpg

post-851-1250755604_thumb.jpg

post-851-1250755637_thumb.jpg

post-851-1250755694_thumb.jpg

post-851-1250755868_thumb.jpg

post-851-1250755923_thumb.jpg

post-851-1250755941_thumb.jpg

post-851-1250755974_thumb.jpg

Edited by bekker

Damn that looks soo mint!!! I was gonna paint mine this colour to match my suspension. My mate has a sand blaster that will speed the process up right? Top effort man big props ;)

Nice! make sure to post pics once they are behind the wheels :)

Good stuff! That is a very nice finish.

Damn that looks soo mint!!! I was gonna paint mine this colour to match my suspension. My mate has a sand blaster that will speed the process up right? Top effort man big props ;)

Thanks man! Sand blaster would have been so good! I guess if you do that just make certain that no sand gets left behind anywhere inside the caliper. And if you have a mate with a spray booth that even sweeter.

Very Nice :)

Looks great

Fantastic - top job!

(which I actually now enjoy)

It was actually very satisfying .

Top job, will look mint when they are on the car. Need a good set of spoked alloys to show them off properly!

If you enjoy it that much, I have a set that could do with a clean up & paint :D

If I was your Wife, I'd cook you some eggs for that effort! Bacon too.

Top job, will look mint when they are on the car. Need a good set of spoked alloys to show them off properly!

If you enjoy it that much, I have a set that could do with a clean up & paint :D

Just e34 cross spokes.

Don't temp me with the others.... got a photo?

Hey man well done, they look mint! Where did you get the rebuild kit from? Does repco have them?

Hey man well done, they look mint! Where did you get the rebuild kit from? Does repco have them?

Have to confuse I only replaced the piston seals. The dust boots were in perfect condition and cleaned up nicely. I didn't want to take any chances with the old piston seals so I went down to ABC here in Wellington with the old seals and the pistons and they had replacements for about $7 each.

A rebuild kit for the fronts was around $65+ gst and the rears around $110+ gst so I decided just to do the piston seals. I was surprised at the price difference considering the front pistons and seals are twice the size of the rears. Guess the extra is for the little metal clips for seating the dust boot!

If and when the dust boots go I won't really have any other option than to get the whole kit.

Repco may sell them, and if they are TRW they might be ok but I'd get a price from BMW (some of their prices for the older parts cars can be pretty good), BNT are always really helpful, and my prices were from Interpart in Lower Hutt.

Hope this helps.

If you can find a stockist of ATE or FTE parts in New Zealand, the ATE or FTE part numbers are available off the interweb ; just make sure you get the model or caliper shape EXACTLy right!