Sign in to follow this  
Apex

E34 540i information please.

Ok so im looking at buying an E34 540i.

Can someone tell me the differences between Facelift and non facelift models?

I like the fact the older don’t have traction control and an LSD, do any of the facelift Traction controlled models have an LSD other than the Sports model LE (is it an LE?)?

I want an auto, boat/trailer tower cruiser that can still light up the rears in if I want to, I hate traction control.

Spotted a lowered E34 525i with 17xheaps BBS splits on it at the supermarket last night and I thought orwwww, now that’s a bit of me.

Why are you worried about traction control. Just turn it off when you want to do a skid.

But I would also go for the LSD. Single spinner is so sh*t. At least the E34 had them. E39's don't other than the M5.

But you could always install an E34 LSD if the car you get does not have one.

Guest Simon*

Buy Ollie's Graham ;) It's one of Ray's exes and is pretty sweet.

There is no other 540 than the "facelift" in E34 - so wide kidneys and matching flared bonnet. Mine has switchable ASC, but I think some of the earlier ('93'ish) autos didn't have it at all and some others have it on permanently.

Mine did not come with LSD but was retrofitted. It seems a fair few of the 540iA's around do have them though

I assumed there was a Facelift or a mid life change, looking at a 95 vs 93 car the 95 has a different steering wheel, seat controls and traction control, assuming there was a difference.

Was LSD an option then? Confused :unsure:

Guest Simon*

You may be right about the mid-life upgrade. Have also seen a couple of different steering wheels (although I think they just went to an airbag one as they became available)

I am assuming that LSD was an option that could be ticked

Both I have seen are airbag, the later cars had a E39 style wheel.

yOU MUST KNOW A BIT ABOUT e34'S Brent....sh*t caps lock.

Was there a facelift?

Edited by Apex

yOU MUST KNOW A BIT ABOUT e34'S Brent....sh*t caps lock.

Was there a facelift?

no all e34 540i where facelift . but there where lots of options you could have spec'd it up.

and i have a lsd for a 540i if you need one .

cheers brent

Good choice! :)

I have LSD with no ASC. Has been pretty reliable over the few years I've owned it.

mines a '94 NZ Car with switchable ASC. At first i thought it was a single spinner. until i laid down two big black lines! :ph34r:

I assumed there was a Facelift or a mid life change, looking at a 95 vs 93 car the 95 has a different steering wheel, seat controls and traction control, assuming there was a difference.

Was LSD an option then? Confused :unsure:

as mentioned previously steering wheel could be airbag vs non-airbag vs motorsport options

seat controls electric vs manual ?

ASC and LSD would have been options

If you want a specific specification suggest you might want to check out the car via a dealer with the VIN, and they can tell you what the option packs were.

With the early NZ new 535i's, most the option boxes were ticked....the major difference was the autos generally didnt get the M-Tech stuff (Suspension, wheels and interior pack) that the manuals got, the 540i specs seem all over the place.

Our '93 540i didnt get a sunroof, electric seats, dipping LHS mirror, the full high end audio pack, that the 535i's had as "standard"....my guess was that the airbag cost so much, that the option pack took a hiding to maiintain a price point in the market.

Any imported car, would really depend on what market it was destined for originally, and the first owners preferences - hence probably best to check out the VIN.

Thanks for all the info guys.

Seems most are not M-Specification.

All 540i have seen have had Airbags, later have multiple and a facelift interior. From what I can find in my old magazines the E34 had a last update in 1995, they also had a few special “run out†specified cars that had the works.

Much like the e60 had an upgrade in late 06.

Im interested in This E34, it was first registered in 1997 and has a few E39 looking switches and steering wheel, it also has a proper tow ball.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-238132472.htm

Thanks for all the info guys.

Seems most are not M-Specification.

All 540i have seen have had Airbags, later have multiple and a facelift interior. From what I can find in my old magazines the E34 had a last update in 1995, they also had a few special “run out†specified cars that had the works.

Much like the e60 had an upgrade in late 06.

Im interested in This E34, it was first registered in 1997 and has a few E39 looking switches and steering wheel, it also has a proper tow ball.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-238132472.htm

hi . my mate thinks that car might have been imported by his grandfather when it was new , drove it around for a while in holland / germany etc then brought it back to nz .