Sign in to follow this  
M3_Power

REALLY a FAN of paint protection films now!

Well, was at the bmw "M" driver training day on Wednesday just been.

Unfortunately had a little incident on the track with the CSL - won't bother explaining the full story here, although I was singled out as being at fault. In my own defence however I would say I was only partially at fault. The cars were let out at 20 - 25 meter intervals and the instructions were if the car behind you catchs up, then you were suppose to let them pass at the next straight. I caught up to 2 cars within 3 corners and they kept going for 2 laps without letting me pass. My mistake was to dive on the inside at the long end straight trying an outbraking maneuver which didn't pay off and nearly T-boned a brand spanking new E92 M3 (I put the blame on another E46 M3 for blocking myself and the E92 M3 for 2 laps without giving way) - my mistake was to think I could pull the move off with the other driver noticing me.

Anyway, it could have been a major accident, but thinking rather his car than mine, I steered the car into a soft barrier and the other driver was also clever enough to head the other direction onto the grass to avoid any sort of a collision .... props to the other driver for sure.

So I pull into the pits and look at the damage to the car - major scuff marks on the front bumper, front fender and rear fender .... I wasn't entirely sure at the time if it was just film damage or there was more like dents and scratches ...

Anyway, got back home and peeled the paint protection film off and voila ... not a dent or scratch!!

I am so very sold on this product right now ... I think I'll film the whole car and hang up my gloves ....... Yeah Right!!!

Pictures speak a thousand words (I forgot to take photos before I peeled it off, but you get the idea)

The damage:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

What damage ?? !!!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by M3_Power

Oh my flaming balls that's amazing!

'Prevention is the best cure' in the flesh. (Well, Metal and Carbon Fibre and BBSs' and Michelins)

Good sh*t.

Money well spent then.

Definitely money well spent!! I think I'll film the whole car next ... well worth doing if you are going to track it.

Amazing - worth its weight in gold.

Glad to hear that a major accident was avoided.

Cheers

Grant

Glad to hear that a major accident was avoided.

Yes definitely huge props to the other driver for thinking quickly and turning the other way onto the grass.

He definitely wasn't impressed with me at the time - although when he pulled into the pits he came by and we shook hands and both pretty much brushed the incident off our shoulders - no damage done to his car at least.

However, I've had a couple of other say to me at the event that it wasn't really justified for singling me out at the event - I should have been let to pass way before the incident as per the instructions by the instructors. It's all past now. Great day it was regardless!!

Edited by M3_Power

Oh.. wow. That is incredible. What was the cost of the film again?

Wow. Sign me up! So no dents at all? Figure it would be a sight cheaper even if there were as you might be able to get the paintless dent removal guys to push them out.

Thats amazing! Looks like brand new again.

Glad it wasn't more serious :)

That's sweet!

When the film is in brand new knick, can you tell that it is there?

Wow. Sign me up! So no dents at all? Figure it would be a sight cheaper even if there were as you might be able to get the paintless dent removal guys to push them out.

No dents at all ... nadda ... peel the film off and it's exactly as it was when I got the respray done - brand spanking new.

Thats amazing! Looks like brand new again.

Glad it wasn't more serious :)

Most definitely ... won't deter me from tracking again though.

I am always consciously aware of the risks associated with tracking a car, and sometimes it's just one of those things.

Good to see the product (film) in action though, really impressed with it.

I think I will film the whole car from now on ... be silly not to haha ..

That's sweet!

When the film is in brand new knick, can you tell that it is there?

Barely noticeable (especially on a dark coloured car) ... it's also very clear and shiny and you can wax it to protect it.

is there a place in christchurch that offers this service? and if not, anywhere else in the south island?

cheers

There's a crowd down in Christchurch that offers this service and uses the same product. I'll get their number and PM you next week.

Forgot to update here ... but had the car refilmed last Thursday, as good as new now:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Dear Tom,

Thanks for not writing off your CSL before I have had a chance to photo it for the upcoming Bimmersport Calendar.

your friend

Josh

I am getting the front of my car painted soon. Was also thinking of getting some of this. But I am worried what this stuff will look like on a black car.

Dear Tom,

Thanks for not writing off your CSL before I have had a chance to photo it for the upcoming Bimmersport Calendar.

your friend

Josh

LOL .... Well there's not a bit of bog on this car, and I intend on keeping it that way :rolleyes:

I am getting the front of my car painted soon. Was also thinking of getting some of this. But I am worried what this stuff will look like on a black car.

I have this film on my 'other' black car and honestly speaking, it's less noticeable on a dark coloured car (I originally thought it would have been the other way around, but it wasn't .. surprise surprise.) More than happy to show you both cars and you can compare for yourself if you wish - I am based out east Auckland.

Edited by M3_Power

Guest Ari Gold

Wow that's incredible!

I know you mentioned it above, but can you really wax it as per paint? 3 stage meguiars no drama?