Sign in to follow this  
mtk540

Audi Quattro UR

I've always drooled over the car that took Audi to the top in rallying and perhaps started their star to rise to where it is now for road car sales.

Walter Rohrl, Michele Mouton, Hannu Mikkola those were the days. Although the shorter Sport Quattro took over in the mid 80's the A1 variant is still my favourite.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-237923853.htm

(How do you re-name a link??)

This one looks in immaculate condition but note there are no interior pics. Has been in storage - last WOF May 2003. Not many NZ new UR Quattros in NZ.

I don't know about $48k though. An E30 M3 would be a more affordable option for a classic of this era.

Thoughts??

Wow... nice car. But why would you advertise it with a photo of you having just completed a massive tyre-melting burnout. Can't be good for an engine that's been in storage for 6 years. :wacko:

Yep - always loved these things. The sound of one of these at full noise is something special. I still remember them in the Rothmans Rally - back when it was socially acceptable to stand on the footpath a couple of metres away from the cars passing.

Bit concerned about those big black tracks leading to the rear wheels in the first photo if I was a serious buyer.....

Bit concerned about those big black tracks leading to the rear wheels in the first photo if I was a serious buyer.....

Why the hell would you use that photo :wacko:

Looks like there would have been a hell of alot smoke though!

Wasn't there a cheaper one at Turners? Awesome car, I remember taking one for a blat years ago.

also if thats 4wd how is there only tyre marks from the back? are they not full time?

Exactly my thoughts mate, I doubt that burn out was from the car. I think he "fabricated" the look or the car is only running 2wd!?

not quite the same, but still sweet

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=236756402

also if thats 4wd how is there only tyre marks from the back? are they not full time?

I think it's a lie with the tyre marks, I know a guy with a quattro and his only has diff locks. very very very sexy cars though, I would even own a 5egt or 5sgt just for the noise

Exactly my thoughts mate, I doubt that burn out was from the car. I think he "fabricated" the look or the car is only running 2wd!?

Ditto on that William and Atta, I picked up on that straight away too. I think the UR A1s were full time 4wd ??

Ditto on that William and Atta, I picked up on that straight away too. I think the UR A1s were full time 4wd ??

Yep, they were. Find a pic of the dash/center console and you will see diff lock switch but they are full time 4wd

Absolutely stunning cars - have always loved them since seeing in the rally days & hearing the 5 cyl at full noise down the back straight of Puke at a night stage - nothing surpasses!

Got the bug from those & bought their bridesmaid a few years later - Quattro Coupe but not turbo so no box guards etc. Still an absolutely awsome car to drive though & still the 5 cyl growl - subtle when driven sedately but growled when pushed. Still miss it today:-

At the time of looking, I drove a Turbo version car that had been worked too, unbelievable car but was a bit "used" so settled on this non turbo - bit cheaper too:-

post-1215-1251526644.jpg

post-1215-1251526666.jpg

Yep, they were. Find a pic of the dash/center console and you will see diff lock switch but they are full time 4wd

Yep, individually lockable front & rear diffs - try that on tarmack & the car tried to screw itself up.

Great though as as long as one wheel had traction the car could climb its way out of trouble

I"d have that over an e30 m3 sorry...

+99,999.

I'd give my left one for an old Quattro.

I'm also a forum member of VASK (VW Audi Sport Klub www.vask.org.nz) and hunted around to see if it was owned by a Vasker.

I found that the current owner is a chap who collects cars and also races small capacity saloons. He's had parts sent over from the UK by an ex Audi Sport rally team member.

The vask boys are just as passionate about their Quattro's as BS members about E30 M3's...

edit: gutted out some pointless cr*p that I wrote late at night!

Edited by mtk540

Sorry but they are flawed as a road car, think farm bike, a m3 is a 10x better drive and would leave one for dead.

nice car though.

Sorry but they are flawed as a road car, think farm bike, a m3 is a 10x better drive and would leave one for dead.

nice car though.

Dunno on the "flawed" bit but I did have an issue with road noise (tyre) level - My only real complaint though & probably down to inadequate sound deadening.

Can't compare drive with E30 M3 as I haven't driven one but would doubt being 10x better & doubt the M3 would leave it for dead (certainly not the turbo car I drove) a few years back.

Ideal world - I would have one of each :)

I dunno, An E30 M3 & Turbo Quattro are pretty close in engine hp but I still think the Quattro would pwn.

Ok, my advice is to keep the dream going and never drive one, that way you won’t have a childhood dream smashed as I did and you can go on dreaming its a good car.

The 100% original but well maintained Quatro I went in (didnt drive, it was the guys pride and joy) was absolutely useless, it was a Homologation effort that was hard to compare to the race going version, they were more a GT and a way for Audi to show case there Quatro technology, much like the Toyota Celica GT-Fours were in the 90’s and far from capable.

If you want a capable late 80’s rally rep start dreaming about the Lancia Delta Integrally instead, its actually quite capable, not as much so as modern equivalent but still fast.

Here’s a clip of a Lancia VS the beloved M3.

I'd hit that, would even consider selling the M3 for it.

Gee Doug, you'll be a VAG man before you know it. You guys must almost have as many VAG's and BMW's?

This ur quattro is a nicer car and a better buy than the red one:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-238751855.htm

One of the owners of the white ur quattro was Jock Styles Father Allan (RIP both of them).

I've always drooled over the car that took Audi to the top in rallying and perhaps started their star to rise to where it is now for road car sales.

Walter Rohrl, Michele Mouton, Hannu Mikkola those were the days. Although the shorter Sport Quattro took over in the mid 80's the A1 variant is still my favourite.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-237923853.htm

(How do you re-name a link??)

This one looks in immaculate condition but note there are no interior pics. Has been in storage - last WOF May 2003. Not many NZ new UR Quattros in NZ.

I don't know about $48k though. An E30 M3 would be a more affordable option for a classic of this era.

Thoughts??

The number plate suits it. Although I would still prefer an e30 m3

Edited by Kaz