Sign in to follow this  
Shady

E30 Sump Gaurd

I dont know much about these sump gaurds, that you can get for the E30 sumps. But are they custom made or do they come from the factory on some E30s?

If Factory, who sells them - are they common or very rare?

If custom made, how much would I be looking at to make one? And who would be ideal to have make it - any welder/engineer?

Also, anybody got a photo of one if you have one on your car?

I would like to buy one, if anyone has a spare lying around - undamaged.

Thanks

Malcolm

PS: I also saw on Trademe about 5months ago, someone wrecking at E30 with a custom made sump pan, that was made smaller. Is that a good idea or not - as it would mean less oil in the engine wouldnt it?

Please excuse my n00bness...whats SAFFA? Is that a racing class or something? :unsure:

EDIT: I assume that means they will be hard to find? Would it be easier to just get one made up?

Edited by Shady

they are hard to come by, i have one on my 325i , and i just sold another one i had for $60,

i was thinking about making a jig and popping a few out but time doesn't allow it at the moment,

not impossible to come by though, just keep an eye out

Also some models wont have the front bolt holes into the chassis so they will need to be setup to mount it

Sweet, I will keep my eyes open.

But if anyone has got one spare or dont need, let me know how much you want for it.

They look like this but without the smaller holes. I drilled them in myself. Just the olt holes and large hole are there from factory.

You might find that you don't have any of the mounting holes on your car so you'll have to have them put in. Might not be worth the hassle.

post-339-1251607908.jpg

Would be pretty easy to make yourself, just a piece of 3mm steel with a bend in it.

OT but Graham, how much lighter is it with the holes in it?

f**k all. Was a total waste of time and hole saws (killed one). Looks cool though lol.

Guest FrantiC

^ hahaha

I am making myself one out of a big sheet of steel. 3 sumps later I think it will be wise choice on my part, especially now that it's even lower and probably about 4 finger widths from the ground.

I was thinking about making one from Aluminum...

but it'd have to be bolted together, since you can't really weld alu without weakning it.

I was thinking about making one from Aluminum...

but it'd have to be bolted together, since you can't really weld alu without weakning it.

Mines 5 or 6mm alloy one... i wouldn't bother with the holes if anything not drilling holes works as undercar plating and improves the drag co-efficent = more speed....

Depending on how it's designed, if you where to get all high tech with it you could create it so it creates a low pressure system in the engine bay and when moving the hot engine bay air will get get sucked out of the engine bay by the passing hot air...

^ I will pay you to make me one too John.... :D

Haha I 2nd that! If you could make a few, I'd be keen on one. Depending what you'd want for it...but thats ONLY if you feel like making more than 1. :)

Mines 5 or 6mm alloy one... i wouldn't bother with the holes if anything not drilling holes works as undercar plating and improves the drag co-efficent = more speed....

Depending on how it's designed, if you where to get all high tech with it you could create it so it creates a low pressure system in the engine bay and when moving the hot engine bay air will get get sucked out of the engine bay by the passing hot air...

This, at a guess the end of the sump guard, maybe past firewall, should be the mouth for the venturi?

For extra bling - carbon kevlar for skidpadz.

edit:

I have a factory sump guard sitting in my garage doing nothing, I want to make my own but ally is expensive :/ How badly do you need it?

Edited by JiB

Not "badly" just one of those things I want. Would depend on price aswell. If you dont want it, how much you want? Can discuss... ?

Please excuse my n00bness...whats SAFFA? Is that a racing class or something? :unsure:

EDIT: I assume that means they will be hard to find? Would it be easier to just get one made up?

S.A.F.F.A = South African Fast Four Association. This is a secret BMW car club for E30 316 & 318 owners only. They also have a secret website. I would have to get permission to give it to you. They have a realy good yearly swap meet. You have to take every BMW part you own that is not attached to your car (compulsory for all members) to the meeting and you must sell it to another member for 5 ZAR = $1.00 NZD. Some of the newbies have taken their BMW cars to the swap meet by mistake and lost them for 5 ZAR :wacko: You don't drive your BMW to the swap meet. :P There are a couple of members that come in here occassionaly. :D

Back on topic. They have the sump guards on their cars over there because of the poor road conditions once you get out of town. Especially if you are driving fast. Also stops road kill getting thrown up into your engine bay and cooking on your exhaust and deflects water away from the engine bay when going through big puddles or shallow streams.

Edited by *Glenn*

I Say get some aluminum and get one made up, cause my one for the e28 that i got off my south african import adds about 20kg or some crap it kills me everytime i have to move it

doesnt work with my e32 sump i dont think