Sign in to follow this  
charles28

The 325i is dead already lol

My 325i I just got (as per my topic in showroom) died today.

I went to an exhaust shop today to get a quote on a less rude looking muffler, drove home, car was fine

2 hours later I go into the garage and notice a big puddle of coolant is under the car and running everywhere.. i notice that its leaking from the coolant hose (Thermostat Housing to Waterpump outlet).

I take the hose off, it looks ok, but it did seem loose, I put it back together, re-filled the coolant, let it run for a while and bled the air out.

Took it for a drive, came back, noticed that it was still leaking a little bit and for some reason coolant was going out the overflow of the coolant reservoir down the passenger side of the car.

I topped the coolant up again, drove to the mechanics, asked him to have a look, when I got there there was no more water leaking (typical) he commented that the car ran nicely and sounded quiet etc in the engine.

I then leave the mechanics, start driving home, 5 mins later car stars running bad like its down on 2 Cylinders. I turn around and go back to the mechanics, he can't believe it, takes all the plugs out, 2 were oiled up really bad, cleaned them, re-installed, still only running on 4cylinders. took out one that had oiled up, got the compression tester.. only had 50psi in both oiled up cylinders. doh.

the others were 190psi approx, so no wonder its not running well, my guess is that it needs a reconditioned head and new rings and bearings, however comments most welcome :)

sort of sounds like me when i got my 323i. overheathed on the way home :( pritymuch been sitting in the grage since/ been through a full panel and prime tho.

sort of sounds like me when i got my 323i. overheathed on the way home :( pritymuch been sitting in the grage since/ been through a full panel and prime tho.

Mines shown no signs of overheating, infact it runs too cool if anything, temp only sits at 1/4

When it's too good to be true, it generally is ay :(

Anyhow, you already were anticipating a re-build so at least it did not come as a surprise.

Project thread on!

When it's too good to be true, it generally is ay :(

Anyhow, you already were anticipating a re-build so at least it did not come as a surprise.

Project thread on!

yeah tru, just thought I might get more than 3 days out of it though, might look at getting a more aggressive cam for it, will probably just rebuild it to standard specs though, + the cam and maybe some tuning so that its setup the best it can be.

Mines shown no signs of overheating, infact it runs too cool if anything, temp only sits at 1/4

I would say rings then dude. Same as my e12, except mine is slow and boaty <_<

Cars been diagnosed, has blown head gasket between 2 Cylinders.

Am getting the engine rebuilt though, ie new rings, bearings, etc, the engine is coming out of the car next week, am paying a mechanic to do the work as If I did it the car would be off the road for months, but this way I should be in it driving again in 1-2 weeks :) and a decent job should be done, where as I might mess it up.

Will most likely get a Racing cam of some kind, 272/272 kinda thing, just need to find one

Does anyone know if the engine in the below link would fit in my car?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-239961517.htm

Its a 1989 525i, claims to have M20B25 engine, (they said v6 though lol).

According to carjam it had only done 99,000ks at last WOF, so i'm thinking it could be a good engine for my sick E30 325i, as standard this has a better head then my 2.7 setup anyway.

Would this engine fit in a E30 325i though? or would it need some changes. cheers

Does anyone know if the engine in the below link would fit in my car?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-239961517.htm

Its a 1989 525i, claims to have M20B25 engine, (they said v6 though lol).

According to carjam it had only done 99,000ks at last WOF, so i'm thinking it could be a good engine for my sick E30 325i, as standard this has a better head then my 2.7 setup anyway.

Would this engine fit in a E30 325i though? or would it need some changes. cheers

yes same engine and electric bits as a facelift e30 325i .