Sign in to follow this  
Guest FrantiC

m20 rocker shafts

Guest FrantiC

How do you rotate the shafts when they are in the head and the head is in the car bolted to the block..?

I have tried vice grips and what not but can't get them to budge.. Do I need to back off the head studs maybe?

Edited by FrantiC

I think if you look at the back of the head there is a keyway type of plate that stops the roker shaft moving foward and back. If you pull that out it should allow them to rotate around aswell

Guest FrantiC

Thing is the useless guys at the workshop that skimmed my head (and pulled the rocker shafts out to allow the valves to stay closed) missed that #6 plate when they reassembled.. So I ran my motor and the shafts both spun. The intake side spun a good 90 degrees and popped all the retainer clips off the rocker shaft... The exhaust one is also spun but not as much.

So I need to rotate them back around, the shop wouldn't do it for me they just gave me another plate and said "it's an easy fix".

I will try removing the bungs on the end of the shafts then.

You might have a problem though, the shaft will be tensioned by the valves that are opened and may not move easily. I suggest you back off all the accentrics to unload the shaft as much as you can before trying to turn it.

From past experience i found that the shafts are also "pinched" by the head studs.

I had to release the torque on the studs to move the shaft, this runs the risk of head gasket leaking afterwards.

I got away with this, but only released the studs till i could move the shaft, and retorqued to standard plus 10 foot pounds more to be safe.

Not recomended, but did same lots of dollars and time to fix a broken rocker in my case.

Hope this helps!

Guest FrantiC

Got it guys. Backed off the head studs, and turned ovr the motor again to move the rockers off the valves and it freed it up.

Now I just need to figure out the exhaust side, Guess I need to unclip them and do the same rotate around..

I have a MLS headgasket anyways, it is recommended to do a re-torque after the first run when cold anyways so guess I am killing 2 birds with 1 stone.

Cheers for the help guys, much appreciated ;)

Edited by FrantiC

If anyone in a shop, garage, etc. says to me "it's any easy fix" my reply is usually along the lines of "it won't take you long to sort it out then will it?" with a few choice expletives if necessary. Nothing like customer service...

• Like 1

Good that you got it sorted, but, the monkey who assembled the head incorrectly is responsible and should have rectified the problem for you. I'm [supposed] to be a tradesman in the mechanic/panel beating fields and any mistakes I make I fix

Guest FrantiC

Nope Quality Auto's .. Down behind Mitre 10 mega.

Usually they are top notch....