Sign in to follow this  
wolliver

how long are my brakes gonna last?

my warning light in my e30 came on yesterday for my brakes when i broke, i drove it up the road today but no light. can anyone tell me how much longer i can safely use these brakes as i need to use my car to get to uni and dont have any money till thursday

Edited by wolliver

Shine a torch into the calliper and see how much pad is left, should be ok till they start screeching, metal on metal.

By what i get you normally have a couple of mill left so you should be fine would say just no hard driving round town.

cause the sensors are set into the pads and go off once it starts getting below that

Mine does this too,

needs new pads and rotors though...

pads would normally be fine, but the rotors need replaced.

mines been on for months, hasnt really been affecting my braking too much.

just have no funds to fix at the moment, lol

Best of luck at your next WOF inspection.

Your "lack of funds" could have you ending up in a tree/fence/other car but whatever...

mines been on for months, hasnt really been affecting my braking too much.

just have no funds to fix at the moment, lol

Mums car got a WoF with no pad left at all.

As long as it brakes properly, they don't care how much pad is left.... Very stupid IMO.

Mine came on three laps into a track day, lasted 20 or so more laps out of them but they were quite f**ked.

So my answer, 20 easy laps at Pukekohe or 2-3mm of compound.

Account for new sensors when you do the job, they come in handy.

Actually, Apex... Quick question..

Do the sensors need replaced even if they are currently working when you replace pads?

Actually, Apex... Quick question..

Do the sensors need replaced even if they are currently working when you replace pads?

They get brittle and they will likely break when you try to take them out. Theyre only $12. If the brake light is on you'll need to replace them anyway

my warning light in my e30 came on yesterday for my brakes when i broke, i drove it up the road today but no light. can anyone tell me how much longer i can safely use these brakes as i need to use my car to get to uni and dont have any money till thursday

If the light has come on and gone off again it is more likely to be caused by a loose connection in the wiring rather than actual pad wear. Once the sensor wire has been broken by touching the disk the light stays on until it is replaced.

If your lights come on, the best bet is to take the wheels of and have a look foryourself. Take the pads out if nessasery as they very often ware uneveny and theres only two sensers for 8 pads. Then you will get an answer on how long you can drive before replacment, do not leave it untill you completely run out of pad.

Ive never had a sensor brake while replacing pads so you should be fine. Just dont pull them by the wire.

Brakes, steering and suspension are the most important things on your car. Look after them.