Sign in to follow this  
charles28

Project 2x E30's

As some of you know my white 325i manual is getting a factory M20B25 engine fitted, due to the ETA engine with 731 having issues. a nice quick fix so that the car is back on the road asap.

I have now decided to fix this broken 2.7 engine aswell and fit it in my 320i Auto daily driver.

The reasons for doing this:

1. Will give the poor 320i some much needed torque

2. After driving the white 325i it was painful going back to an auto 320i

3. I have to have both the Automatic and Manual E30's due to the Girlfriend only being an automatic driver.

4. I'm obsessed with E30's and need help

5. the 320i will be a bit of a sleeper and should be able to scare a few hondas etc from the lights with all the low down torque, the 2.7 has loads of it and doesn't like to rev out, in my mind this makes it an ideal partner for the autobox.

As my 320i is a facelift Motronic Model I only need to change the ECU chip for the 2.7 engine to work well in it.

Also will change the small case 4.1 diff to a 3.62 medium case diff (cheap non lsd one).

Will replace the worn shocks, bushings, and fit a spring lowering kit (but it won't be that low).

Will add photos later of the M20B27 onces its in bits.

Both of my E30's will be on going projects, for along time to come, at the moment I can allow $200 a week to spend on my cars, so it may cause the odd gap progress wise.

Although it could get tempting to max out the credit card. lol

Just purchased an MTECH Wheel for the white car, the normal steering wheel sucks.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=239997607

Might have even been someone on here selling it for all I know.. but $75 seems ok to me, its still cheaper than a Boss kit and some cheap nasty chinese made sports wheel :).

As some of you know my white 325i manual is getting a factory M20B25 engine fitted, due to the ETA engine with 731 having issues. a nice quick fix so that the car is back on the road asap.

I have now decided to fix this broken 2.7 engine aswell and fit it in my 320i Auto daily driver.

The reasons for doing this:

1. Will give the poor 320i some much needed torque

2. After driving the white 325i it was painful going back to an auto 320i

3. I have to have both the Automatic and Manual E30's due to the Girlfriend only being an automatic driver.

4. I'm obsessed with E30's and need help

5. the 320i will be a bit of a sleeper and should be able to scare a few hondas etc from the lights with all the low down torque, the 2.7 has loads of it and doesn't like to rev out, in my mind this makes it an ideal partner for the autobox.

As my 320i is a facelift Motronic Model I only need to change the ECU chip for the 2.7 engine to work well in it.

Also will change the small case 4.1 diff to a 3.62 medium case diff (cheap non lsd one).

Will replace the worn shocks, bushings, and fit a spring lowering kit (but it won't be that low).

Will add photos later of the M20B27 onces its in bits.

Both of my E30's will be on going projects, for along time to come, at the moment I can allow $200 a week to spend on my cars, so it may cause the odd gap progress wise.

Although it could get tempting to max out the credit card. lol

always fun to have a project man, all the best

This picture shows some of the issue with my current exhaust on my 320i, its a lot worse than what the picture shows, both the back box and middle muffler/cat have alot of rust on them, it sounded terrible too (drone).

Posted Image

Today I purchased a 325i Exhaust from a S.A 325i wrecking on trade me, which is in way better condition than mine.

Posted Image

Also purchased a 325i Air flow Meter, as the part number is different to the 320i item, so I thought it was a good idea for when the 2.7 engine is installed.

Posted Image

Next on the cards is some decent shocks for the 325i

Might put the shocks from that in the 320i, as they are still fine, I just want better ones in the 325i.

Something like http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-E30-318...s#ht_1015wt_939

Landed in NZ, $820 including Shipping and in NZ currency conversion, not bad considering the same ones on trademe are over $1100 :)

Those shocks are pretty cheap considering the price here.

Also ordered a "Performance Chip" for the 325i from speedtoch on e30zone.net. Worked out to $85NZD including shipping.

The claims are " The Mild gives an extra 8-10bhp but dramatically increases low-down and mid-range torque for improved driveability and better fuel economy. The rev limit is raised to 7000rpm for when you're in the mood for a blast.

In my 1988 325iSE, this chip brought the 0-60mph time down from the standard 7.3 to well under 7 seconds and raised top speed from 135mph to 140mph, whilst returning 30mpg average with ease. "

Also this gives me a chip spare for the 320i so that it will run properly with the 2.7 engine, as the current chip in my 325i ran the 2.7 engine fine.

Those shocks are pretty cheap considering the price here.

Yeah, I thought it seemed like a rather nice deal really.

I havn't ordered them yet, but will on payday this week, don't want to run out of cash..

Guest FrantiC

Watch out with the 7000rpm rev limit on an m20... Most guys fret going over 6500rpm without billet rockers, OEM ones are known to break even on the stock 6200rpm rev limit.

Post up how the shocks and chips go, always wanted to know if the chips were really what they claim.

Post up how the shocks and chips go, always wanted to know if the chips were really what they claim.

I got a blank chip from Jaycar for $7 ( or something like that ) and just downloaded a .bin ( the files they have stored on the chip ) off and net and got a shop to burn it on for me. Cheapest upgrade I have ever done, made a bit of a difference. Was worth the $27 or whatever it cost me all up!

Charles, cool projects. An auto 2.7 will certainly be unique. Good stuff.

Edited by Mark247

Watch out with the 7000rpm rev limit on an m20... Most guys fret going over 6500rpm without billet rockers, OEM ones are known to break even on the stock 6200rpm rev limit.

Yeah i've heard that also, I wouldn't rev it that high anyway, I change gear just before power drops off/goes flat, which is likely just over 6000rpm anyway.

Would need some 284 degree and better rockers etc to bother revving to 7000 I reckon.

I got a blank chip from Jaycar for $7 ( or something like that ) and just downloaded a .bin ( the files they have stored on the chip ) off and net and got a shop to burn it on for me. Cheapest upgrade I have ever done, made a bit of a difference. Was worth the $27 or whatever it cost me all up!

Charles, cool projects. An auto 2.7 will certainly be unique. Good stuff.

Thanks Mark

Cool, I thought about doing that, but was too lazy to find the stuff on the net,

Yeah.. auto 2.7, its going to be the daily driver still, once the works done I will re-focus my attention on the fun manual car. but I have to have one car on the road at all times.

My engine should arrive for the 325i tomorrow, purchased from HELL BM, hopefully that cars up and running this week.

Its almost tempting to do a Dyno power run with and without that chip installed, if a dyno day comes up in CHCH i might look at doing that perhaps.

What would be funny is if the auto 2.7 ends up having more power.. mmmm that 2.8 stroker build option might be required in the near future for the mighty 325i

Some Gifts for the 325i

Posted Image

Sure.. some of you will consider this to still be a boyracer muffler, but its not as bad as the one that came on the car lol.

Posted Image

Steering wheel looks in good nick mate well done.

Guest FrantiC

I have a similar exhaust, Nothing wrong with them.. very euro-ish look kind of and they tend to be abit loud too and give it more of a bmw growl than the "Im a fag" drone a dumpy/big bore makes ;)

Edited by FrantiC

I have a similar exhaust, Nothing wrong with them.. very euro-ish look kind of and they tend to be abit loud too and give it more of a bmw growl than the "Im a fag" drone a dumpy/big bore makes ;)

Nice, mmm I work with 2 guys that drive Honda Preludes, both with bigbore/ loud exhausts, they sound like bumble bee's imo.

I'm sure if we had a sound off to see who had the best sounding car that the BMW would win hands down :)

Just some pics of the engine being almost ready to come out of the White 325i, is coming out tonight.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The white car should be on the road today,

The replacement M20B25 is now fitted (has now got new Cambelt, waterpump, tensioner etc and new oil seals.) the engine bay was given a bit of a clean before installing.

The radiator was tested and cleaned but came back as 25% blocked, I have since purchased a new much larger radiator for it, the factory one was rather small, I assume this is because it was a UK import in Manual transmission with no A/C, the radiator had a 40% bigger than original cooling capacity but fits fine and looks factory anyway.

All coolant hoses have been replaced also, I don't want to take any chances with reliabilty, this car may see some laps at Ruapuna so I want it to be as good as I can afford it to be.

The $ is adding up quickly, but thats to be expected, I will add a video of its 1st start up later on, technically it has had an engine conversion really, considering it had an engine with a 731 head and a 525e block before hand.

Cheers

Nice work. What have you done with the 2.7 hybrid then?

Going to strip it down and see what work it needs doing on it, will then put it in the 320i as the M20B20 engine lacks torque down low and annoys me :)

Well, i didn't make a video, (forgot camera) but it did end up starting 1st turn of the key, after a few mins alot of smoke was coming out the exhaust, I was getting a bit worried, but 10mins later it seemed to clear.

Only problem was, i had to borrow a radiator hose off my other BMW to enable this car to work, as the radiator hose kit ordered was for the model with the smaller radiator, however as mine now has a bigger radiator I needed a differn't top hose, which happened to be exactly like my jap import 320is one.

Then the bleed screw wouldn't move, rather than risking snapping it off I left it running for ages without cap to get rid of any air, but then had to give up as the mechanic guy needed to go out for dinner..

Had to put the hose back on the 320i and drive that for the weekend, but early next week it should be sorted.

Another gift for the 325i

Posted Image

Got these brand new for $17USD each when I purchased some other bits, should help to tidy it up a bit