Sign in to follow this  
mark247

E30 M50 conversion

For some reason the ABS wire in the C101 connector is a earth, and the ABS wire in the E34 loom is a positive. Which made a dead short. We've fixed the wire and checked for other damaged wires and they are fine.

Tested the loom in another car and it was fine, tested both ECU's and they are fine.

The main relay comes on when you turn the key on. Coils and injectors and ECU is getting power. ICV hums with the key on. Fuel pump dosent come on when you crank the engine and there is no spark, but the fuel pump will come on if I jump the relay.

Only thing I can think of at this point is the crank posistion sensor. Have triple checked that we havent got the cam and crank sensors plugged into the wrong plug.

We have a spare crank sensor, but having trouble getting the old one out, have left it to soak in CRC overnight.

I'll be there, pop'd round yesterday but you must have been slacking off.

I'll let you know when it's all go.

Here are some pics of the conversion so far.

Empty void.

Posted Image

m50 with getrag 240 on it

Posted Image

Backyard mechanics 101

Posted Image

The messiest shed in hamilton

Posted Image

For some reason the ABS wire in the C101 connector is a earth, and the ABS wire in the E34 loom is a positive. Which made a dead short. We've fixed the wire and checked for other damaged wires and they are fine.

Tested the loom in another car and it was fine, tested both ECU's and they are fine.

The main relay comes on when you turn the key on. Coils and injectors and ECU is getting power. ICV hums with the key on. Fuel pump dosent come on when you crank the engine and there is no spark, but the fuel pump will come on if I jump the relay.

Only thing I can think of at this point is the crank posistion sensor. Have triple checked that we havent got the cam and crank sensors plugged into the wrong plug.

We have a spare crank sensor, but having trouble getting the old one out, have left it to soak in CRC overnight.

Thanks for the update RyanG

Old "RyanG" here knows a royal **** ton more about wiring than I do, if you haven't noticed..

You guys make it seem pretty easy.. Jealous much..

Lol, this conversion has been a royal pain in the butt!! So many problems.

Its taken almost a week to get this far. Weak attempt.

Edited by RyanG

No engine bay dragon?

And bare feet next to the grinder FTW! :P

Hah true that. I like your backyard mechanics, I use your same methods. Who needs a vice when you have feet.

The car was an auto right? If so it'll be the inhibitor switch which you need to connect up (Can't remember details).

The conversion i helpd James with we had the exact same problem. If the loom is an auto loom it won't let it start in any gear. Do a search on gooooogle for what to do. Sorry I can't be of more help.

The car was an auto right? If so it'll be the inhibitor switch which you need to connect up (Can't remember details).

The conversion i helpd James with we had the exact same problem. If the loom is an auto loom it won't let it start in any gear. Do a search on gooooogle for what to do. Sorry I can't be of more help.

We converted it to manual long before the m50 conversion.

We converted it to manual long before the m50 conversion.

Hmmm... Don't have a clue then. But they're exactly the right symtoms for that problem so I'd check all that wiring again just to make sure.

Hmmm... Don't have a clue then. But they're exactly the right symtoms for that problem so I'd check all that wiring again just to make sure.

If that is the case it doesn't turn over at all. The M50 turns over, just no spark or fuel.

It has been converted to manual, but that was with the m20 and the inhibitor has been bypassed. The inhibitor switch just disables the starter motor.

Bugger that barefoot angle-grinding :P

Be a real man :D

God gave us toe nails so we dont need to wear shoes when grinding right

Also those Warehouse grinders are awesome, you can make them into smoke machines / flame throwers, and they come with a 12 month warrenty so you can just keep returning them.

"What were you using it for?" - Warehouse person

"Cutting down a tree"

Edited by Mark247

Also those Warehouse grinders are awesome, you can make them into smoke machines / flame throwers, and they come with a 12 month warrenty so you can just keep returning them.

"What were you using it for?" - Warehouse person

"Cutting down a tree"

ahahahhahahahha

LOL, I can just see one of my mates saying this.

Lol, this conversion has been a royal pain in the butt!! So many problems.

Its taken almost a week to get this far. Weak attempt.

Took me 3 weeks of studying one simple wiring diagram of the conversion loom for my brain to go *Ping* and click on how to wire the m50 up lol... :rolleyes:

You will suss it guys theres always crap little hickups like this...

Took me 3 weeks of studying one simple wiring diagram of the conversion loom for my brain to go *Ping* and click on how to wire the m50 up lol... :rolleyes:

You will suss it guys theres always crap little hickups like this...

Heh, when I did my loom it took about 45mins (incl soldering it up).

It was just un expected crap with the ABS that made the loom a bit different. Starter motor been the wrong one. Now no spark etc (possibly dodgy crank sensor). Pulled all the ABS wiring out (didnt work anyway).

Also some other monkey has been in there and messed with wires, under the fusebox was full of wires and crimp connections, so was under the dash, so I spent alot of today cleaning all that up aswell.

Problem sorted. Video of first start shortly.

was it that plug mike talked to you about?

^ Me and matt are BOTH pissing ourselves. Just gonna head round to yours and go for a drive before you get home :P