Sign in to follow this  
vyking56

Replacement E39 Headlights

Hi everyone,

Anyone had any overly positive experiences replacing their OEM headlights with aftermarket ones? Nothing overly wrong with my current factory ones other than they're cloudy and want the later model projector style units with angel eyes. I've tried a few different polishes and even a cut & polish cream on them, but can't get them to a state I'm happy with so am keen to change them.

These really do it for me (umnitza.com) but I guess the light throw wouldn't be suitable for a RHD and shipping from the US would be a killer.

Posted Image

Does anyone know or can recommend anything similar - but closer to home? Trademe have a few "angel-eye/projector" replacment units which come from Australia. About $800 landed, which is an expensive gamble if they turn out to be plasticy rubbish!

What years your car.I understand the OEM 01 is a good upgrade.Someone here did it recently-there is a thread somewhere.

IIRC Cost around $1200.

The Umnitza ones are apparently high quality according to Bimmerfest ops.

The Aussie Eurolights ones are chinese I think.

BY the way did you know you can switch the lights aspect from LHD to RHD-look on top centre of your lights & you'll see an adjuster-just a bit of useless info LOL

You can restore your cloudy lights-just doing mine as we speak -would love an upgrade but cant justify the cost ATM.

Wet & dry 400 grit,then 800,then,1500,then 2000

Then polish with at least 2 stages of cutting compound & finish off with Plastix.

I do it while I'm watching TV(its more interesting)

Interesting about them being adjustable, I never noticed! Mine is a 99, so will probably have the same lights as yours does. I was thinking about a more abrasive paste but never thought of using a few stages of wet & dry... might give that a shot tonight.

What makes them cloud up like they do? A combination of the washer jets and sun?

Interesting about them being adjustable, I never noticed! Mine is a 99, so will probably have the same lights as yours does. I was thinking about a more abrasive paste but never thought of using a few stages of wet & dry... might give that a shot tonight.

What makes them cloud up like they do? A combination of the washer jets and sun?

Yep + crap plastic.

About 20 gentle mins with each grade of w&d-use a straight back & forward motion-not circular.

Preferably use a rubber backed sanding block.

W&d makes sense when you think about it-after all you do it when painting your car & look how that comes up.

Hella sell them.

Good call :D I've been onto Hella this afternoon and although I can't buy direct I can get them overnight from BNT! About $950 ex GST which isn't too bad I suppose for quality replacements and the conversion looms. So just have to do some saving up now I suppose for these and the M5 bumper!

Posted ImagePosted Image

Hi everyone,

Anyone had any overly positive experiences replacing their OEM headlights with aftermarket ones? Nothing overly wrong with my current factory ones other than they're cloudy and want the later model projector style units with angel eyes. I've tried a few different polishes and even a cut & polish cream on them, but can't get them to a state I'm happy with so am keen to change them.

It sounds harsh, but try using Jif and a bit of elbow grease to get rid of yellowing/cloudiness. Has worked for me in the past.

Good call :D I've been onto Hella this afternoon and although I can't buy direct I can get them overnight from BNT! About $950 ex GST which isn't too bad I suppose for quality replacements and the conversion looms. So just have to do some saving up now I suppose for these and the M5 bumper!

Posted ImagePosted Image

Quality, service, and lead time.... Wasn't sure about the pricing, but the lamps will be OEM quality (and quite possibly out of the OEM tools/production cell).

It sounds harsh, but try using Jif and a bit of elbow grease to get rid of yellowing/cloudiness. Has worked for me in the past.

You wouldnt believe some of the chemicals and abrasives I've tried! They don't have the usual yellowness to them, the front right is so badly crazed and clouded I'd have to literally shave off the top 1/10 mm off to restore them... which is a pretty hard ask using the usual polishes and cleaners! I considered spending a few hundred less by replacing their covers (which is probably going to end up letting in moisture) but they'll still make the car look "dated".

Quality, service, and lead time.... Wasn't sure about the pricing, but the lamps will be OEM quality (and quite possibly out of the OEM tools/production cell).

Indeed. $200-$300 more than the chinese replica's from Trademe is a small price to pay for such a quality product. Just for a giggle I'm tempted to price up the same items direct from BMW parts! :)

You wouldnt believe some of the chemicals and abrasives I've tried! They don't have the usual yellowness to them, the front right is so badly crazed and clouded I'd have to literally shave off the top 1/10 mm off to restore them... which is a pretty hard ask using the usual polishes and cleaners! I considered spending a few hundred less by replacing their covers (which is probably going to end up letting in moisture) but they'll still make the car look "dated".

You should never use chemicals or abrasives on polycarbonate lenses. PC scratches very easily (it is actually reasonably soft compared to arcylic, but is also very tough), and can literally dissolve in front of you if it comes in contact with the wrong solvent (seen this happen with common truck wash believe it or not). This is the reason they are normally coated with a special lacquer (lensguard or diamond coat) - sanding them only destroys the coating, or the lens itself.

Typically the yellow you see in PC headlamp lenses is due to the plastic material degrading from UV (which could be from sunlight, or from using cheap headlamp bulbs which are not low UV). Once it starts, the only real solution is replacement

Well worth the extra $ if you ask me (you need them to see after all - and all headlamps are not equal even though they may fit in the same hole)!

Is that price for a pair? If so that's actually pretty decent.

Considered going for a HID set instead? Would be interesting to see how much they cost.

Just to let you know. I have the new Hella front and rears on my 540. They are great.

Were on the car when I purchased them though.

Is that price for a pair? If so that's actually pretty decent.

Considered going for a HID set instead? Would be interesting to see how much they cost.

Yes that was a price I got for the pair. There is a HUGE difference in prices from the various Hella stockists - so it DEFINATELY pays to shop around. I emailed 8 different places in the Wellington region asking for prices on the part numbers... and one of them wanted $1900 +GST

Yes and LOTS! Would probably work out cheaper to sell the car and buy a 2001+ factory facelifted one! :rolleyes:

Just to let you know. I have the new Hella front and rears on my 540. They are great.

Good to know :) Do they have in-built "angel eyes" just out of interest?

I got replacement brand new original BMW headlights for $65 for a pair for my E39

I found a pair of brand new lenses advertised on TradeMe, never installed, original BMW, for my E39.

Still in the box, never fitted to a car. No dust or dirt on them!

So I removed the old headlights and changed lenses.

Made a world of difference, and made the car look like new

Total cost 2nd hand: $65

Cost at BMW for new parts: $600 (lenses only!)

I was a very happy man :-)

Edited by jochen

Hi I may be able to help you out. Have upgraded my e39 530 lights to Xeon low beam and clear's The lights that came out were the facelift type, angel eyes, leveling motors hella brand etc. One of the housings is shot but the rest of the components are in reasonable condition.

Is this of any help

post-1581-1253249630.jpg

Thought I'd update this thread. I settled on a pair of "Depo" lights - which was kind of a compromise between price, function and quality. I'm pretty happy with them - even though I had to go out and buy two pairs of H7 bulbs. They dont have the in-built height adjustment motors, but as it turns out the gearing in one of my original lights was broken so wasn't actually working anyway.

www.depoautolights.com

Total price (excluding the bulbs) was $400 US delivered to my door - 7 days after placing the order. If anyone is interested in buying something from this crowd, PM me - I've got a $5 credit which is transferrable.

Here's a before and after.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Looks nice. You will easily get your money back when you go to sell the car - looks a lot newer and tidier now.