Sign in to follow this  
Simo

Top Ten Stolen Cars in NZ

lol, i know the mazdas atre easy to steal, especially the ones that were the same generation as the equivalent fords... you could unlock my telstars (626) doors with a 10cent coin :o

Very bad locks, was a common problem cos my mates laser (323) was the same :P

haha, a flathead screwdriver would do the same to my old 626.

why wouldn't some of you own those cars.. if you have ever driven a turbo silvia or skyline they are a hell of a lot of fun. makes complete sense to me that these are the top 10..

i would have thought WRX would have been first as they are so common.

if i was to ever steal a car it would be one of the top 3.. somthing that is fun to drive, and there are a lot of parts off these cars for sale.. so you are less likely to get caught. European, too hard to steal.. kinda obvious when parts are sold, and the parts are always stock and are strictly for that car always.. the jap stuff is so in interchangeable pretty much doubles the market the thief can sell too.

Edited by brockie123

There are some good Cars in that list.

I know 3 diffierent peoplo who have had a car on that list.

Skyline,Silvia & Mazda

Each was stolen

Mazda lantis wtf?

Que Graham coming in with a picture and saying how he once had one and it was actually pretty good but stay away from the tr24 model cause they are too peaky compared to the hx99 post 1993 that he had.

Edited by tastic

Again, everyone is putting across their opinions as facts.

There are several of the cars in that list that I would be perfectly happy to own.

Cheers

Grant

Nissan Silvia Nissan Skyline Honda Integra = Performance cars with security made of playdough.

Subaru Forester ,Subaru Impreza, Mitsubishi Legnum, Subaru Legacy = Sort after by Nz gang members. Especially after the chosen few era

common knowledge if your from south auckland, The other three cars on the list surprised me though.

personally wouldn't own any of these cars anyway ,(cant affort the r34 nur spec haha.)

Subaru Forester ,Subaru Impreza, Mitsubishi Legnum, Subaru Legacy = Sort after by Nz gang members. Especially after the chosen few era

common knowledge if your from south auckland, The other three cars on the list surprised me though.

Lucky for me I have never, nor will I ever live in South Auckland. I also don't know any NZ gang members (if there are such a thing, where in reaility they are probably just bad imitators of overseas gang culture).

Therefore the reputation of these, in my opinion, good solid cars is untarnished. Also I never plan to start choosing what I like or dislike based on a bunch of try-hard gangsters.

Cheers

Grant

Its a very general statment saying you wouldn't own any car in there as there is no specific year or model of any of them specified. E.g I wouldn't own an old S13 Silvia but would happily have a nice un-molestered S15 Silvia Spec-R.

Its always a laugh when people say they wouldn't own anything on these types of lists, when im sure they havn't driven all the types of the model (Not that I have) I don't get honda bashing either. In my experience Hondas are great cars for many reasons.

Edited by braeden.

Its always a laugh when people say they wouldn't own anything on these types of lists, when im sure they havn't driven all the types of the model (Not that I have) I don't get honda bashing either. In my experience Hondas are great cars for many reasons.

I have driven every car on that list (in some shape or form). I can confidently say that aside from a late model Legacy, I would not want to own any of them.

And of course, all those saying they wouldn't want any of that cars on the list have driven every available variant and drawn their conclusions objectively and dispassionately . . . . so we can conclude that none of the cars on the list are as fast, or as reliable, or as competent handling-wise, or as technologically advanced, or as well-constructed, or as long-lived as a BMW based on those comments? Bullsh!t.

I am a car (and motorcycle) enthusiast first and foremost. I have a preference for BMW cars and motorcycles. To read the crap above:

I have driven every car on that list (in some shape or form). I can confidently say that aside from a late model Legacy, I would not want to own any of them.

implies that he has driven every possible variation of every model listed above. This statement is a credibility cruncher and says more about it's author than the listed vehicles. Firstly I don't believe that he's driven every possible model, and secondly "if" he somehow has, then he either isn't a true car enthusiast or he is so small-minded and short-sighted he is missing out on some spectacular vehicles. A Sylvia with an SR20DET is a formidable vehicle even in standard trim, and not just in a straight line. The beating those engines can take defies belief.

Just because some of those listed cars don't have a euro badge doesn't mean they are sub-standard. My last Gen 1 Legacy had covered 382,000km yet had never had the heads off. It was taken out by an idiot who drove through a stop sign three months ago, otherwise I would still be driving it daily. Although I hit the other car front-on at 70kph, all of the doors still opened and closed nomally with no deformation of the cabin, and I walked away with no injuries. The Subaru Legacy has long been regarded as a discounted Audi for good reason, and arguably enjoys a better reliability record.

It's possible to be a car enthusiast without being a bigot. BMW make some excellent cars, but they've also marketed some shockers. Take off your blinkers and smell the Castrol . . . . .

I am a car (and motorcycle) enthusiast first and foremost. I have a preference for BMW cars and motorcycles. To read the crap above: implies that he has driven every possible variation of every model listed above. This statement is a credibility cruncher and says more about it's author than the listed vehicles. Firstly I don't believe that he's driven every possible model, and secondly "if" he somehow has, then he either isn't a true car enthusiast or he is so small-minded and short-sighted he is missing out on some spectacular vehicles. A Sylvia with an SR20DET is a formidable vehicle even in standard trim, and not just in a straight line. The beating those engines can take defies belief.

I never said I had driven every variant, but had driven each model of vehicle in "some way shape or form". I worked for 4 different car yards over a 7 year period, ranging from cheap imports to performance japanese cars to new franchised european cars.

In my opinion I wouldn't want to own any of the cars listed. That is my opinion and I am allowed it. No amount of persuasion would ever convince me that I would want to own a Silvia!

My arent we all a little pendantic at the moment !

Yep.

Guest Simon*

In my own humble opinion I have come to the conclusion that Subarus are "50%" cars. That is, half the people that own them have absolutely no problems at all. Nothing significant breaks, and with only the minimum of maintenance they keep going forever.

The other half however :D have no end of expensive issues, end up spending a fortune and curse their name every time they are mentioned.

I think the incidence of both of these cases is widespread too, as there are so many of the bloody things on NZ roads.

From personal experience, and supporting my argument, my folks have a 2nd Gen Legacy 250T and have been plagued with issues. It was an import with low miles in good condition and has blown a head, had dicky trans, still has undiagnosed engine check lights, ignition/coil issues and seems to chew through tyres and shocks really fast.

I, on the other hand, used to have a '96 WRX wagon and only ever had to replace a stupid plastic radiator header tank, otherwise it was mint the whole time.

Interestingly, the Brits see them as super reliable, yet the US forums moan about their reliability and in particular, their constant overheating and head gasket issues.

My 2c :)

VR-4 Legnums are VERY nice to ride in, the boost comes on smoothly.

Though, so does my mates standard R33 Turbo pieline.

All car manifactures make sh*t models, and good models.

M8 it was a primera.

M8, it was a Ssgayline, or am I not aware of the 2 door primera with wheel arch flares and a boxy rear end?

Guest Simon*

Que Graham coming in with a picture and saying how he once had one and it was actually pretty good but stay away from the tr24 model cause they are too peaky compared to the hx99 post 1993 that he had.

LOL too true :D

From R90S

It's possible to be a car enthusiast without being a bigot. BMW make some excellent cars, but they've also marketed some shockers. Take off your blinkers and smell the Castrol . . . . .

Oh so true. A skyline GTR is inferior to all BMWs? I think not. Notwithstanding the fact that this is a BMW forum and that I do like BMWs, you can't simply ignore or write off all other cars and call yourself an enthusiast. Especially when most of the hate is directed towards Japanese vehicles. Yes, the Japs make some shockers, but so do the Euros.

M8, it was a Ssgayline, or am I not aware of the 2 door primera with wheel arch flares and a boxy rear end?

+1

Posted Image

In my own humble opinion I have come to the conclusion that Subarus are "50%" cars. That is, half the people that own them have absolutely no problems at all. Nothing significant breaks, and with only the minimum of maintenance they keep going forever.

The other half however :D have no end of expensive issues, end up spending a fortune and curse their name every time they are mentioned.

I think the incidence of both of these cases is widespread too, as there are so many of the bloody things on NZ roads.

From personal experience, and supporting my argument, my folks have a 2nd Gen Legacy 250T and have been plagued with issues. It was an import with low miles in good condition and has blown a head, had dicky trans, still has undiagnosed engine check lights, ignition/coil issues and seems to chew through tyres and shocks really fast.

I, on the other hand, used to have a '96 WRX wagon and only ever had to replace a stupid plastic radiator header tank, otherwise it was mint the whole time.

Interestingly, the Brits see them as super reliable, yet the US forums moan about their reliability and in particular, their constant overheating and head gasket issues.

My 2c :)

It all depends on how they have been looked after. Subarus like to be loved, and will throw a tanty if they're not!

My old WRX was an absolute basket case. Diff issues, trans issues, just about every seal was blown resulting in oil leaks that even an MG would be jealous of.

My Legacy on the other hand Is NZ New, has a FSH and has been fastidiously maintained. Apart from routine maintenence, it hasn't missed a heartbeat. I've travelled 40,000km in it in the last 12 months, and its running as well as it ever has. No mean feat considering it has the high strung TT EJ20R engine.

Its such a well set up car too. Factory bilsteins, adj whiteline RSB, and a quality front strut brace combine to turn the whale in to a weapon in the twisties. The trademark legacy understeer is all but gone.

Probably the favourite car i've ever owned. Period.

But i digress. They are stolen lots because many a retard chooses to own them! I shake my head everytime i see one sacked out on chromies etc. It makes me sad!

Lucky for me I have never, nor will I ever live in South Auckland. I also don't know any NZ gang members (if there are such a thing, where in reaility they are probably just bad imitators of overseas gang culture).

Cheers

Grant

Sure. But its still a FACT that the "Try-Hard gangsters" Like these cars in particular and will steal these over other cars.

Maby i should have used the term Thugs for you But same difference really a group of no namers representing a name and conducting criminal activity.

There mainly based in south Auckland so having lived there ive seen the try hard gangsters in these type of cars on a daily basis.

And In my opinion this does tarnish the appeal of these cars unfortunately.

In the same way that it would Tarnish the appeal of a quality university if it was full of the same type of people

Edited by 323e30

My brother has a turbo forester on 17's. It's been broken into 4 times.

There mainly based in south Auckland so having lived there ive seen the try hard gangsters in these type of cars on a daily basis.

Northland > South Auckland.