Sign in to follow this  
paulieboi

advise on E30 conversion

i have a 88 318 E30 and looking in time to do an engine conversion.

i want to keep it as cheap as possible and keep it original and keep it reasonably easy.

in time i may change the engine again but for now just looking to get it running, so seeing advise of anyone who may have done a conversion or knows somebody who did.

what would be a cheap easy upgrade for my e30?

*edit- current engine has died on me so may aswell look at an upgrade if possible save future hassel but running through ideas of what i can do*

cheers

Edited by paulie

Is your current motor stuffed? Or are you looking to swap out simply for more power?

Is your current motor stuffed? Or are you looking to swap out simply for more power?

yea current engine has died on me so need to get one in there to get it going so thought i may aswell try upgrade if i can that way i want be looking to change it over again within 5years

m20b25?

whats a standard price range if possible for a full set up conversion and not spending time pissing around tryna find an extra this and that just to get it in a running order?

Edited by paulie

Guest FrantiC

whats a standard price range if possible for a full set up conversion and not spending time pissing around tryna find an extra this and that just to get it in a running order?

Is the car a manual?

You would need a gearbox to suit... But otherwise it is a straight drop in bolt up motor, it is the standard straight 6 2.5L found in 325i models.. uses a different manual box to the 318i though. Would be the cheapest, easiest swap IMO.

Is the car a manual?

You would need a gearbox to suit... But otherwise it is a straight drop in bolt up motor, it is the standard straight 6 2.5L found in 325i models.. uses a different manual box to the 318i though. Would be the cheapest, easiest swap IMO.

right now it is auto, but if its possible i would like to do a manual conversion because my preference is a manual to drive

Guest FrantiC

Then you will be looking at around $1500-$2000, for a full m20b25 and manual conversion.. I think.. Don't quote me on that, Have seen some m20b25's go quite cheap (I bought one for $400), but the manual conversion can be anywhere from like $500-$800+, If you can even find one. Try hit up Ray from HELLBM, I could almost garuntee he has everything and he knows his stuff so he would sell you everything required for the conversion.

The OP mentioned "Cheap" & "Easy" if he hasnt got a huge budget its not going to happen... if he doesnt have the ability...its not going to be easy or cheap either.

If we knew what his intended budget was... we could say either... your wasting your time...sell it as is...or ....go for it

Edited by *Glenn*

Nothing is really ever going to be cheap and easy. But surely an M20 would be the easiest/cheapest of the lot.

Nothing is really ever going to be cheap and easy. But surely an M20 would be the easiest/cheapest of the lot.

thats great thanks for the advise everyone by cheap and easy was just sort of meaning not guna cost me a million but just getting sum ideas cause as they say youve gota dream it to do it, so getting my head into the right dream space lol.

but thank you for that definatly gave me the advise i was needing

Guest FrantiC

It's really not hard for the average bloke and a few mates, with a little internet guidance and beer over a weekend, to tackle an m20 engine conversion.

I did my first swap when I was 16 with my mate who was 18, a box of tui's, tools, chain hoist hanging in the garage yanked the engine out , into the new body the same day..

Any help needed was at the our finger tips on the internet.. Though all I did need help for was changing the timing belt and that was it. Everything else is basically Visually obvious - It either needs to come off to yank the engine or it doesn't.

It's really not hard for the average bloke and a few mates, with a little internet guidance and beer over a weekend, to tackle an m20 engine conversion.

I did my first swap when I was 16 with my mate who was 18, a box of tui's, tools, chain hoist hanging in the garage yanked the engine out , into the new body the same day..

Any help needed was at the our finger tips on the internet.. Though all I did need help for was changing the timing belt and that was it. Everything else is basically Visually obvious - It either needs to come off to yank the engine or it doesn't.

ill deffinatly take that into consideration thank you, like i said for now ive got time cause its my project on the side of my 36 so when the time comes to get the engine and do the conversion ill probly post a thread to let anyone know so that if they want to help or are even curious as to giving it a go then anyones welcome, and any helps helpfull.

but thank you for the advise and positive thought of an easyish job lol

Oh it's driving me mad. It is spelt ADVICE

Worse than mis-spelling Exhibit mind you.

Guest FrantiC

There is such a word as Advise. (ad-vize).

to give (a person, group, etc.) information or notice (often fol. by of): The investors were advised of the risk. They advised him that this was their final notice.

Oh it's driving me mad. It is spelt ADVICE

Worse than mis-spelling Exhibit mind you.

Lol your so random Henry!

Drop in an M50 or S50 Paulie ;) wont cost a million $ :rolleyes:

Guest FrantiC

Lol your so random Henry!

Drop in an M50 or S50 Paulie ;) wont cost a million $ :rolleyes:

Lol Turbo s85 v10 anyone?

Edited by FrantiC

There is a difference between advice and advise, clearly man. Like effect and affect.

V8 conversion. Thats what Im gonna be doing for sure once I finish the "appearance" & "interior" side of my car. The looks is more important to me than Power at the moment.

GO V8 PAUL YOU WONT REGRET IT!

Guest FrantiC

Like that is going to be cheap rofl.

Hands down m20b25 swap is going to be the cheapest, easiest and best bang for buck upgrade to the pety 318i.

If its slow & you want it to be fast. Of course it aint gonna be cheap. If its slow & you just want it going again, it aint gonna be cheap but gonna be cheaper than making it faster.

So what would be the recommend $ to fund a V8 Conversion? I dont know the numbers like you put up there, but a 5Speed V8 from another BMW...

And thats if 90% of the work is DIY.

Edited by Shady

Guest FrantiC

it's what you calculate the cost of everything (motor, gearbox, parts required, etc) .... times it by 3.

Thats what I was told before my turbo build, trust me I didn't believe it because I thought I would budget well but there is always hicups, "while your there may aswel do this" stuff, repairs, extra parts etc needed.

Base conversions, where the motor is going into somewhere it's designed to fit, is just piss easy.

Custom coversions 'v-tech' your wallet.

Lol would you all really like to know what my bmw v8 conversion has cost me so far? taking into account its not finished and i get things at trade price... and doing most of the work mysellf too i might add

Edited by Sammy J

Sammy J, Give us an idea on costs :P

Hands down m20b25 swap is going to be the cheapest, easiest and best bang for buck upgrade to the pety 318i.

I agree, or just do what I should have done a few years ago and sell the shitty m10/m40 and buy something with more factory ability i.e 325i, not a 320i cos they are gutless as sh*t imo, I don't see the point now in modifying something so mediocre, you'll save more money buying something already so able, trust me I know how you feel. Part the car out or sell it as a shell, and save for a 325i..you won't regret it.

Edited by Forrest