Sign in to follow this  
Guest Simon*

Recommend an isp

Guest Simon*

Howdy

I am in the process of moving house and currently have home phone and broadband with vodafone. I've been happy with the price, speed and service but now they tell me it will cost $148 to transfer to my new address. ($99 for net, $49 for homeline - which I only have because I want terrestrial bb and basically never use!)

It seems excessive to me, and I think I'd rather just dump them and take advantage of a free or cheap signup offer with another isp. Am happy to entertain your recommendations, I know we have a few telco workers here so go ahead and woo me ;)

I had the same thing happen with vodafone, argued the fee and they agreed not to charge it.I've been really happy with vodafone, changed from telecom to them.There customer service is light years ahead of xtra IMO.

If your under a contract be carefull of any fees to get out if you cancel the service.

Guest FrantiC

You can winge with any of them and they they sometimes will do anything to keep a customer...

My dad kept asking telecom for a 5GB plan, cos 3gb is never enough, but didn't want to pay for the 10GB plan.

So they eventually offererd us 3 months free usage of 10GB as a 'trial'. Then sfter that we either go back to 3GB or pay for the 10GB plan. I will be so pissed if he goes back to 3GB though, That's usually gone in a week :(

Telecom. They own the majority of everything anyway. That's how I look at it

Can't beat Telecoms Go-Large plans. Unlimited bandwidth.

I can go through 20GB in 2 days with a family of four who are all heavy users and downloaders.

Can't beat Telecoms Go-Large plans. Unlimited bandwidth.

I can go through 20GB in 2 days with a family of four who are all heavy users and downloaders.

thought they wernt letting anyone sign upto that anymore...?

but your right... so good not having to worry about how much your downloading

Edited by Wervie67

I've got slingshot.

15GB max/max ADSL2+ for 60/month

+ you can buy data blocks $50/50GB

I've got slingshot.

15GB max/max ADSL2+ for 60/month

+ you can buy data blocks $50/50GB

Plus Slingshot give you FREE usage "off peak". Midnight to 7am from memory, full speed upload/download with none of the traffic counting towards your data quota. Have considered moving from Vodafone to SS just for that. Not sure if it's a permanent thing or not.

Guest FrantiC

Plus Slingshot give you FREE usage "off peak". Midnight to 7am from memory, full speed upload/download with none of the traffic counting towards your data quota. Have considered moving from Vodafone to SS just for that. Not sure if it's a permanent thing or not.

Slingshot sucks, I knew a few people on it and the overall speed sucks, if your an online gamer your ping seems to suck too.

moved to Xnet 3 years ago and have only had 1 day downtime yup one day in 3 years pretty good eh

Slingshot sucks, I knew a few people on it and the overall speed sucks, if your an online gamer your ping seems to suck too.

Completely backward to what I'm getting.

I hear ALL of the bad things about Xnet.

theres even an Xnet rant thread on GPforums....

have had no problems with xnet, always get under 20ping in NZ, have heard heaps of bad stuff about slingshot tho

I think its all to do with your phone line to the exchange and how overloaded your exchange is.

I was going to go with xnet, but I have bandwith whoring flatmates, so, Slingshot is better for us. since it will cap if we go over the peak allowance.

Stay away from Woosh. At times I have found dial up to be faster than their broadband!

The area you're in, age of the infrastructure and the distance to the nearest exchange is going to play a huge part, as is the age of the actual exchange and its ability to support ADSL2 or not. Telstra Clear / Saturn is usually pretty consistant because you're using their own fibre infrastructure and not leasing bandwidth and ports off a network made up mostly of decaying and corroded copper lines - as most ISPs unfortunately have to do. I'm lucky enough to live in a brand new sub-division which has decent under ground cabling to all of the houses. That makes a huge difference and keeps everything pretty consistant.

Stay away from Woosh. At times I have found dial up to be faster than their broadband!

+1

They use to have a really good plan a while ago though.

Dunno what happened with them.

With slingshot, they used to hard out shape connections. Dont seem to anymore tho. On fs/128k (was on fs/fs), data banking, and free off peak.

If I queue up a bunch of linux isos in utorrent I can pull about 300gb a month in offpeak data. Oh they appear to be caching torrents aswell. So if a torrent you are downloading has already been downloaded by someone else, you will download it at full speed.

Oh and great pings to nz servers, turn interleaving off.

Edited by RyanG

Slingshot +1

Havent had any probs aye

And i love the free off peak data usage between 1 and 7 am

its good because i just set my torrents to download then and it doesnt cost me a cent or use my usage :)

xnet is meant to be good to

xnet is meant to be good to

Not if you download pirated stuff. My mate is on them and he downloaded one game and they disconnected him, he had to ring them up and get reconnected, but still.. kinda annoying.

DONT PIRATE KIDDIES.

Not if you download pirated stuff. My mate is on them and he downloaded one game and they disconnected him, he had to ring them up and get reconnected, but still.. kinda annoying.

DONT PIRATE KIDDIES.

Dont have that problem lol

and I'm on xnet