Sign in to follow this  
Forrest

E30 Paint Opinion

Hey guys,

So I am about to pick up this on trade me for my e30: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=243637618 and I am replacing the upper front valance which will need to be painted also and I want to redo my tech1 wing.

Main question is, does anyone think I could get away with spray painting the valance + splitter without it looking terrible since most of it is hidden? obviously the wing and the upper piece of the valance can be done with a spray can because it is less noticable if a less than perfect job is done, I was just wondering on peoples opinions mainly for the splitter, wether to can it or take it to a shop.

What it should look like on my car (roughly the same style) :)

post-3292-1253846236.jpg

This probably sounds like the retardest thread ever, I was just wondering what people thought would be the best bang for buck. The car is no show car atm either, just the way I like it.

Cheers, Nathan

Edited by Forrest

Guest FrantiC

Are you really prepared to pay $1125 on a fibreglass front bit??

My guess is you could easily spray can it fine because it isn't too big.

^ Thats not the price I am paying :P

I do have a brain lol.

Yeah thats what I am swaying to at the moment instead of paying $150 ish to have it done by a pro.

Posted Image

Pretty intense front lip if I do say so myself. I do like it.

But remember it is a bloody low front lip and being fibreglass it will be exxxxtremely easy to crack.

Guest FrantiC

^ Thats not the price I am paying :P

I do have a brain lol.

Just checking haha :lol:

Sure does look intense, Not sure if I am diggin' it?

Edited by FrantiC

But remember it is a bloody low front lip and being fibreglass it will be exxxxtremely easy to crack.

Man I saw that car before, like identical color to mine too, except 4 door.

Yeah I know it will be, and my car will be a lot lower than that and have lower profile tyres on xxxxx wheels next week so I am going to have to be ultra careful :ph34r:

Maybe a bit more diagonal driving on speed humps for me :P

Oh and John, I love that look ay, especially with no side skirts, and the massive (mini) whale tail on the back so awesome :D

^ Nah I thought I would keep the purists happy and leave the decals off, otherwise there would be nothing else remotely Alpina on my car haha, would be just about as bad as me putting a M badge on because I have motorsport seats LOL

Edited by Forrest

Nah nah miles off, if I had've robbed that bank last week I might have picked a set of those up :ph34r:

Just wait and see :D

you should be able to get a proper painter to do for bout $250 man. then at least its done nice

With regards to painting... it's pretty easy. Spray cans have come a long way. 

I've just resprayed my bumpers using some custom mixed spray can top coat and some clear coat lacquer. As long as you wet sand between coats and polish the clear coat with rubbing compound you can get a really good finish. 

Nice find! obviously not same as kit in pic but close enough.... there will be examples of the spoiler on the alpina register..... I would have killed for it when i had what is now Ray's C2 which was missing its front spoiler and still had the old mounting holes with a pfl lip shoddily screwed on hah...

Shouldnt be too dear at all for a pro to paint eh- will look aaawesome

My 2c....

In terms of the finish you can get there would be little difference if you take your time with the can. The main reason I would recommend taking to to a pro would be to get it painted in 2K paint with a 2K clear coat over the top, which would give a much tougher paint. In an area like the front lip which is prone to stone chips the tougher paint will last a lot better than paint from a can.