Sign in to follow this  
martyyn

Tsunami warning

I saw it.

Was working at a property that only has access by boat. Got the landing barge back to the road where I left my ute, hopped off, started walking up the beach and the ferry-man started yelling. I turned around and the bay was emptying of water. The barge was high and dry on the beach. He was beached bro. Beached as.

So we waited a couple of mins and still beached. So I drive the ute onto the beach and push the barge back into the water. All of a sudden the bay starts to fill again and I'm reversing hard up the beach to beat the water.

No waves, but it would have been at least 400mm to half a metre of surge.

This was at 1350-1355hrs today (ie an hour ago) here.

One of my ex GF's did text me today to say that if she dies in the tsunami, she loved me...

Nody takes these things serious, wonder when NZ is really going to have a huge natural disater. Its kinda been a while. Weve had heaps of little things but nothing like indonesia and america etc. Like rangitoto blowing its top or any other auckland volcanoes would be a bit of drama. The time bomb is set, i have officially jinked us.

Not good for Samoa , Was booked into a resort next week. The resort owner is in hosiptal & his wife has died. Much of the resort has also been taken by the sea. Not much to say apart from I'm glad to be in NZ at the moment.

Edited by Neal

It happened again :o

LATEST: A tsunami alert for the Pacific has been cancelled following a series of powerful quakes off Santo, Vanuatu, today.

Magnitude 7.8 and 7.1 quakes hit around 11am NZ time and the epicentres were located around 373 km north-northwest of Santo, Vanuatu, at a depth of 35 km, the US Geological Survey said. A third 5.7 magnitude earthquake hit at 12.48pm NZ time, with a fourth 5.2 magnitude quake at 1.22pm NZ time.

Sea level readings indicated the quakes generated a tiny tsunami, the Pacific Tsunami Warning Centre said. The centre cancelled all warnings shortly after 1pm NZ time, about two hours after the first alerts were issued.

Earlier, tsunami warnings of varying levels were in effect for Vanuatu, Solomon Islands, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Tuvalu, New Caledonia, Fiji, Kiribati, Kosrae, Wallis-Futuna, Howland-Baker, Marshall Islands, Tokelau, Kermadec Islands, Pohnpei, New Zealand, Samoa, American Samoa, Tonga, Australia, Niue, Cook Islands, Chuuk, Indonesia, Wake Islands, Jarvis Islands, Belau, Midway Islands, French Polynesia, Hawaii, and Philippines.

The quakes come just over a week after the tsunami which killed 178 people in the Samoas and Tonga.

Should a tsunami have reached New Zealand, it was estimated to have hit at the following times:

* North Cape - 2.34pm

* East Cape - 3.16pm

* Auckland (West) - 3.33pm

* Gisborne - 3.49pm

* New Plymouth - 4.10pm

* Auckland (East) - 4.14pm

* Napier - 4.29pm

* Milford Sound - 4.35pm

* Wellington - 4.39pm

* Westport - 4.50pm.

Stuff.co.nz

Edited by Jamez

Guest FrantiC

CBF checking, but is it another 'coincidental' earthquake on the pacific plate?

Posted ImagePosted Image

Hey Everyone

My friend is the creator of the scary washing machine, most of you will remember from trademe, he was on his honeymoon in samoa at Lalumanu Beach when the tsunami hit. He and his wife witnessed the tragedy and saw many people lose their lives, they were lucky to survive themselves.

They have returned to New Zealand and set up a Scary Washing Machine support fund for the Lalumanu Beach community to help them rebuild their lives.

Check the website out below ...

Support the cause

Cheers

Ollie

^ Incredible story. Really puts it in perspective hearing it written like that. The media sure do distort it..