Sign in to follow this  
curryinahurry

Should I change my thermostat?

Hi there,

I think I am due for a coolant flush. I was thinking maybe I should change my thermostat as well... is that necessary? How often should you change the thermostat? How much is a thermostat?

Everything is working fine atm... so I am just thinking preventative maintenance...

What other stuff should I change? Apart from the water pump which I think costs too much.. and I think I have the metallic impeller one (given my car is a late 96)..

cheers!

How many KM's has your car done. And has it had its cooling system overhauled before?

I am a believer in preventative maintenance. All BMW owners should be. Just wish I could afford all the things I want to prevent. lol.

The Thermostat went randomly in my E30, glad I kept an Eye on my temp gauge...

car had done a touch over 139,000kms.

My car has done 130ks

I have not personally done a cooling overhaul... and I ve had the car for the past 30,000k...

If you are doing some preventative maintenance, then it would make good sense to replace the thermostat with another (pref a genuine BMW part). While you are at it, check the condition of all your coolant hoses.

They are like $15 bucks. Just do it :)

$85 + Gst for a genuine E36 thermostat the plastic housing is another $40 and you'll need the seal and gasket, another $10

$85 + Gst for a genuine E36 thermostat the plastic housing is another $40 and you'll need the seal and gasket, another $10

sh*t. Dominated! I'm going to crawl back to e30 world now :(

preventative maintenance is the key...

my thermostat decided to keel over when i was in motorway traffic on the fast lane... oh boy.. wasnt a good experience... temp gauge just kept going up...almost reached the red mark before i got to the shoulder... it fried my coolant sensor too.. and while your at it.. might pay to check your waterpump if its the plastic one change it immediately!!!

if you are not sure when it was last done.. might as well do it as most likely it hasn't been done yet by the previous owner.

Right, I've deleted any off topic posts that were made in here (or other related ones). These included posts that I made, that immediately upon reflection were a little on the immature side.

Lets keep it clean and friendly, and if you don't have any accurate and proper advice, then please don't post.

Cheers

Grant

sh*t. Dominated! I'm going to crawl back to e30 world now :(

They are no cheaper in e30 land either, I think mine was $80 last month at Jeff Grey.

The only thing I would say to the OP on this subject is has anyone ever regretted preventative maintenance? If youve spent up large on replacing the rest of the system then perhaps $80 isnt much to have the whole lot done and replaced.

Edited by Penry

They are no cheaper in e30 land either, I think mine was $80 last month at Jeff Grey.

You got me curious so I dug through my receipts. Genuine m40/m42 tstat $29 +gst.

Anyway.

I got mine for 50 bucks, at European Auto Services for an M20.

Mine did infact stick shut.

it was a "SWAG" part lololol