Sign in to follow this  
hybrid

Windows 7 tips and tricks

Thought I'd start this segment off as more and more of you move to the awesomeness that is Windows 7.

After an interesting week of setting up Media Portal on Windows 7 with the new SRM 7500 remote. A few little gotcha's in windows 7 we sorted out.

Big one being turning off password after stand by mode. You you all may be thinking thats easy, just turn it off in the power profile under "Requires password on wake up" . Which works on my laptop .. But I had a problem when after about 20 minutes the setting would revert back.

Which for a media / TV box was beyond annouying when using the remote to power up the machine.

So the fix for it was, set it how you want then run from CMD, "gpupdate /force" which forces group policy to accept the changes.

Few more would be ... grab a window and hold down the left mouse button so youre dragging the window. Then wiggle the mouse. All the windows should minimise except the one your dragging around.

Dont want to hear anything about vista, we'll just pretend that OS didn't happen.

Post your tips and tricks here

Wiggle tip is handy for me. As I always have 5-10 windows open on the two screens. You can also wiggle it again and they will all pop back up.

7 has been great so far.

Also if you are a Uni student and are doing a computer related course you may be entitled for a copy through AUT/AU/Massey for free.

http://www.gpforums.co.nz/showthread.php?s...ighlight=massey

More on the wiggle trick... drag to the top of the screen for fullscreen, drag down for restore down, drag to one side to fill half the screen :D

Dont want to hear anything about vista, we'll just pretend that OS didn't happen.

As far as I'm concerned it didn't. Server 2003 and XP = a work network I'm happy to manage. I'm still using XP on my personal machines. Will give 7 a try after overdue hardware upgrade. Glad you like it Josh - gives me some confidence.

I love it, being using it since the BETA came out, stoked that the RC wont run out till March. Its so good infact I think I may buy a copy!

Ive been using it for months on my work laptop and love it. The best thing for me by far is the taskbar. Ive got my most used items on there and I love being able to drag files on it so they appear first in the drop list of selections.

I cant remember the last time I opened the start menu, or opened a blank explorer window to navigate through my folders.

The only problem Ive got is chrome keeps opening at the top right corner and I have my taskbar across the top so chrome always opens behind it. Ive tried everything to change it but no dice :(

It's great that they seem to be building that type of functionality built-in. The sad thing is, that alot of us have been able to do that for years with the help of 3rd party freeware. I've got an expanded task bar on my XP machine that works as you describe Martyn, and have had for years. Such a shame that Micro$oft have only just caught up.

4 qs

1. worth dumping vista completey, re-format and install w7?

2. what's it like for PC games compatibility?

3. I've got the RC downloaded, can I still install it?

4. do all w7 versions have 64bit compatibility?

i used it for a bit and didn't really bother to use it - might re-install the RC if i can

Just becareful with Autodesk products on Windows 7 (and Vista SP2) if you use DFS on your network.

Autodesk doesn't currently support DFS and instead of navigating to your network shares you don't go no where from inside the Autodesk product.

This is why work hasn't been able to move to Windows 7/Vista SP2.

Windows 7 = great... we have it running on a p4 2ghz, 500mb of ram and 40gb hdd here... runs the same as Vista on a dual core 2.4 with 1 gb of ram...

4 qs

1. worth dumping vista completey, re-format and install w7?

2. what's it like for PC games compatibility?

3. I've got the RC downloaded, can I still install it?

4. do all w7 versions have 64bit compatibility?

i used it for a bit and didn't really bother to use it - might re-install the RC if i can

1. Yes, even on older machines.

2. Very good. Some older games like Diablo 2 may have trouble. But most work.

3. Unsure if you can still use it now. Do you still have your key?

4. No. You need to get a 64bit version if you are running more than 3.3gb of ram.

Regarding point 3. You can still use your RC, and still request a serial for for the RC up until the 21st of October. You cant download the file anymore however. And you can get as many keys as you want, just keep refreshing the page and it spawns a different key everytime. So if you have it. Do it.

I thought it was till march next year then will turn off every 2 hours.

Am using Win7 both 32bit and 64bit. ProE was a bit funny about Win7 64bit until ATi's driver update. 64bit runs very well, biggest difference is running complex assemblies in ProE, rendering also seems faster - but that may well be my imagination.

Am very impressed. Best way to describe 7 is it's like Leopard on Mac but with the M$ familiarity.

I quite like the windows button + tab and windows button + f.

P.S. if running 64bit, get MPCHT 64 bit version. Have found it brilliant for playing 1080p movies, etc. Very very smooth.

is 32 bit windows 7 and 64 windows 7 ultimate? am re-running the RC - works great so far, am very pleased over vista

runs crysis fine on my lappy - empire total war should be a good test, always used to crash on vista

Regarding point 3. You can still use your RC, and still request a serial for for the RC up until the 21st of October. You cant download the file anymore however. And you can get as many keys as you want, just keep refreshing the page and it spawns a different key everytime. So if you have it. Do it.

There are only 7 keys being used.