Sign in to follow this  
lbirgel

WOF Fail

Hey guys

My corolla failed a WOF today because my shocks are to soft. I have been tolled that they can only fail me if the shocks are leaking, which they aren’t. is this right or can they still fail me?

the thing is the car cost me $950 and i don’t want to spend another $600 on it because i will be selling it in 6 months time.

any of your thought would be appreciated.

Cheers

Leaking or play is a definate fail. Havent seen anyone fail for soft. I still hold an AVI, but havent been active for a while and dont have the latest specs.

Mind you... isn't soft a fail :P

Which station failed you ??

Edited by *Glenn*

when you push the car down, it should bounce back up and then stop almost immediately. If it bounce up & down a few times then shocks aren't doing it's work. Depends on mechanic, some don't care and just let you pass even if your car keeps on bouncing up & down when driving over a bump.

Don't know if it's too late to try someone else.

Mind you... isn't soft a fail :P

Which station failed you ??

Haha should have seen that coming

I went to magic autos in Penrose. It was the closest place to me open on Saturday.

Yeah the car does bounce up and down a bit if you push it down.

I think ill just go back and challenge him and get him to show me in his regs book where it says soft shocks = fail

Thanks for your help

at the end of the day, I'm kind of glad that they will fail someone for having bad shocks, they aren't safe and aren't good for the roads.

Dont bother challenging it. Just go to another place and try again. all you loose is 30$ if you go to a cheaper workshop. to get it and theres a good chance they may pass you. Some places are fussier than others.

(dont mention its been failed already, its not likely that your fail has been logged into the online system)

This is Cheap advise... not generally the best advice.

Ive gotta agree with Ollie. Not entirely safe if the shocks are totally knaffed.

Just had a look in our WOF manual here, basically under their performance, if they effect the directional control of the vehicle it can be failed. Id imagine they'd need to be quite far gone before Id fail a car for that. Usually by that stage theyre already leaking...

Quite a grey area, alot of WOF issues can come down to the inspector at the time, and thier interpretation of the requirements.

cheers guys for your help.

im pricing up a set of shocks through my mates trade account at repco so i hope to get a new set for less than i have been qouted!

I got a set of 4 corolla shocks from Autolign for $350 for my GF 86 corolla

very cheap and safe too

i thought you can't go to another WOF place if you failed at a WOF at another?? you gotta get your WOF from the place that failed you??

or is that just VTNZ stations??

pm paul '#14' or ring him @ interpart 045666391 - he'll get you a good deal on shocks!

Go somewhere with an indian inspector, they have always passed my cars with flying colours.

Go somewhere with an indian inspector, they have always passed my cars with flying colours.

Well I must have got the one pedantic indian inspector in Auckland! Took me aside and tried to talk to me about my indicator which apparently didn't flash orange enough. What am I supposed to replace the already orange bulb with? F**ker.

Simply answer...........fix ya bloody car, it's not a big expensive job, why try to get around safety issues?

HAHA nice work John, straight to the point :D . I must say I agree with you tho.

HAHA nice work John, straight to the point :D . I must say I agree with you tho.

Sadly Jono, its advice far too many people on here ignore.

Sadly Jono, its advice far too many people on here ignore.

Too true, when you are young you always think you know best :rolleyes: .

I have lost count of the amount of time people come in here with dodgy tyres and wil not replace them. IMHO shocks are as important as tyres when it comes to safety. :)

Simply answer...........fix ya bloody car, it's not a big expensive job, why try to get around safety issues?

I agree with you but some people just dont have alot of money! e30's are not the cheapest cars to keep running. haha it was a indian inspector by the way.

In regards to safety the corolla i have is regarded as the most unsafe car in the world. actually had a photo of the exact model i have in the NZ herald so its a death trap as it is :(

oh man ive taken a ride in a dodgy toyota a friend of mine have.. sh*t was shittin my pants and holdng on the door handle and the seatbelt... was bouncing around the NW motorway literally up and down when in my car its smooth as... it would continue to bounce even when there is no bump.. i was sea sick