Sign in to follow this  
Shady

Turbo VS Supercharger

Which is the more ideal way? I was just wondering. Not trying to start any battles.

Done a search on YouTube and there is a few S/C and Turbo E30s - all of them go nuts.

Whats the Pros & Cons of Turbos VS S/C? Price & Power wise?

All opinions welcomed.

SC is relatively simple to do compared with turbo, however more for low down torque. turbos good for mid to high end pull, really personal preference. i believe a SC would be cheaper however im not 100% as only researched into turbos

Guest FrantiC

It's a vague as question at best.. Would depend what you had for power goals budget wise etc etc.

Superchargers run off the power of the crank, so you use engine power created back to turning over the supercharger. But boost through all rpms (no lag).

Turbo is harder to do, Lags but more power to be had.

You're really asking in the wrong place tbh. Try on e30tech, but you will be shot down for asking this question as you figure it out by searching.

Thats why I said all opinions welcomed. Im not going down either track, just wondered what everyones thoughts were & what the difference is in both (for E30s).

Theres both Turbos and a SC E30 on here, take the time read the threads with there experiences, pros and cons etc and form your own opinion on it.

There is no "Ideal Way" depends on money,time,knowlege,goals etc the list goes on.

But then you will have no answer to any of the above as like you said, your not actually doing it.

I think he needs an electric turbocharger lol

Or a Torque Wrench some tools an engine stand

to begin an actual project involving a twin charged Vtec in an E30 :wacko:

lancia Delta S4 anyone ?

WTF is VTec got to do with it? My Inspire is not Vtec. :rolleyes:

I guess it just goes to show, its easy for a thread to go OT pretty fast.

Mods can lock this now...

It all depends on the application, both have their positives and negatives as already said. All the faster Forced induction drag cars are supercharged because of response, predictability and the fact that they produce power everywhere when set up right. Both can be orientated towards high RPM or low RPM power. The bloower on our rail takes an estimated 500hp to drive up the top end, but the gains we get outweigh that.

As for VTEC, ooooh that stuff is hard core! I love how overcoming a compromise has been turned into a wonderful bromantic thing. VTEC overcomes the compromise of cam characteristics and somehow that has made it an amazing thing....Hmmmm

Turbocharging is much cheaper. Secondhand turbos can be had for crackers and all related bits can be found easily and relitively cheaply.

While supercharing retains the throttle responce and exhaust note: huge pluses.

Of course both ways need engine beefinguping and a proper ECU.

But you don't need boost shady, you haven't got trail braking techniques sorted yet.

Of course both ways need engine beefinguping

Not really true. Even a m20 will make 500crank hp on standard internals, which is more than enough in an E30.

But you don't need boost shady, you haven't got trail braking techniques sorted yet.

Can you guys stop getting personal about s--t? You dont know me bro. You've never met me. You have no idea how I can handle a car.

Just cos I aint been on a track dont mean I cant drive.

Cheers

EDIT: Nice spotting simon*

Edited by Shady

Guest Simon*

Just cos I aint been on a track dont mean I can drive.

Cheers

I didn't even have to edit that :D

It was a joke man jeeezzz...

If you cant handle the jandal etc...

E: at Shady

Edited by westy

Guest FrantiC

There are guys pushing over 500hp on stock internals, But they are also running on the very edge of complete failure..

Dan Pinder on e30tech had a fully worked head, ported, bigger cams, bigger valves etc on a stock SuperETA bottem end. Made 450rwhp which is well over 500 crank HP. 27lbs of boost, NOS. It lasted heaps of drag races but ended up throwing a rod out of the block.. Obviously you wouldn't care much if just the bottem end suffered damage as it was stock anyways and easily replaceable. But stock bits won't handle huge amounts of power for very long..

The answer to this question is what would YOU prefer.. Work involved, Reliability, Money, Power goals, Use of the car etc. Only you can figure that much out..

Edited by FrantiC

How long is a piece of string.

Im looking at buying some but im not sure of the length of a piece of string, are they all the same and generally the same length..

I won’t respond to any genuine suggestions unless you insult my ability to use the string.

Not really true. Even a m20 will make 500crank hp on standard internals, which is more than enough in an E30.

Sorry, did know that, I worded it wrong. Really meant just having a good radiator, oil cooler and a proper set of head studs and maybe even o-ringing.

How long is a piece of string.

Im looking at buying some but im not sure of the length of a piece of string, are they all the same and generally the same length..

I won’t respond to any genuine suggestions unless you insult my ability to use the string.

Sums up this thread well..

I had a mate of a mate who put a GT68R45p fledel edition on a RB31detttttt (special super bored out onli 1 of a kind bro), he picked it up off a guy who knows a guy and its real mint, goes hard as. Turbos all the way bro. Superchargers are for muscles cars THAT CANT CORNER LOL

RB RB RB RB RB RB RB RB RB RB RB FTW ALL OTHER ENGINES ARE sh*t, V8 KILLERZ

(not directed at anyone here :D)

get in before the lock!

Edited by Incary

Your mate is correct Henry generally the Turbo’s are the best, regardless of size, application or vehicle type, the best turbo’s are ones with fancy names on then and multiple high digits’, the numbers directly correspond to the time you have to wait for the screamer to start howling, it’s at this point that any turbo becomes fast.

Superchargers are all the same regardless of car, Mini Cooper S, McLaren SLR same sh*t, a turbo will always have more top end power so rip that supercharger off and turbo it instead, it will be cheaper anyhow as you can get all the sh*t you need off trade-me and from wreckers.

Edited by Apex

I had a mate of a mate who put a GT68R45p fledel edition on a RB31detttttt (special super bored out onli 1 of a kind bro), he picked it up off a guy who knows a guy and its real mint, goes hard as. Turbos all the way bro. Superchargers are for muscles cars THAT CANT CORNER LOL

RB RB RB RB RB RB RB RB RB RB RB FTW ALL OTHER ENGINES ARE sh*t, V8 KILLERZ

(not directed at anyone here :D)

get in before the lock!

Haha nice henry:D