Sign in to follow this  
Forrest

CD Purchasing Poll

CD's  

63 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So with my imminent state of unemployment (cheers Studylink) after uni exams in two weeks, I need to find a way to fund life i.e modifying the e30 fund, until I find a summer job.

Before I got into cars I used to spend all my money on CD's, I hated downloading as I would rather have the actual CD there in front of me.

So I have 110+ mostly rock/metal CD's, including many rare ones and complete sets of albums that artists have ever released. Before I sell em on trade me/real groovy/on here if anyone wants any??, I wanted to know how many people on here still go to the store/trade me/blah and buy a cd for it's full price, and whether it is worth my time trying to shift them.

Any insight is appreciated.

Cheers, Nathan

Edited by Forrest

I voted yes because I still technically buy CD's from Itunes, I'm not so fussed about physical CD's. However when it comes to Ps3 games I need to have the hard copy on the shelf haha. I like Itunes for music because of its prices.

I haven't physically bought a CD for ages.

The only one I've bought in about 2 years was City in Exile.

Voted yes, but only very rarely. Of course that has abruptly ended since I started at uni and also don't have a job.

I find that if I purchase a cd from the store, it ends up going on my computer and the cd sits on a shelf collecting dust or borrowed and never returned. In addition to that, buying a full cd off iTunes cheaper than buying from a store sometimes anyway.

Another yes vote from me, but only because I am an old fart, so I buy old stuff that's in the $6.99 bin at the Warehouse.

Anything remotely modern and mainstream comes from the net.

Last CD I brought was probably The Beatles for my dad.

I download all of my music as it's so convenient to download the tracks and to put them straight onto my ipod.

I'm a chronic song changer whilst driving, so having an ipod with everything on it is convenient, instead of having to flip through a CD case.

Yes, mostly back catalogues of artists when they are on sale at JB’s, Have picked up all Metallica, Tool, Iron Maiden and Pearl Jam over the last year at 9.95 a pop.

It’s not often I will buy a new release at full cost anymore, “Backspacer†was my last new release purchase and it was worth it, also like to buy all Kiwi music at full cost to help them out, Midnight Youth’s album is bloody good as is Fly My Pretties.

Warehouse do have some good bargains. Tip, go to a warehouse like Clendon Town Centre if you want a good selection of cheap Rock, seems their demographic doesn’t like rock.

I still do (Bat for Lashes & The Big Pink just last week) but I am a bit of a magpie and I like having shiny things, things I can hold, things that won't be lost forever if my itunes sh1ts itslef again.

Also, aside from buying music because I like it, I think for a while there, before the ready availability, or legitamacy, of downloads, I had managed to delude myself that the Ladies (Hullo Ladies, would youse Sheilas like a drunk?') would be impressed by a bookcase overfilled with tastefully selected albums. I have never received any indication whatsoever that this was the case, but the collecting habit has stayed with me.

I don't mind buying cd's but the plethora of sh*t that has been released has caused me to change the way i buy cd's...

I tend to download the complete album, and if i like more than 2-3 songs on it, i'll buy the cd.

But i HATE wasting my money on buying a cd for 1 or 2 songs with the rest of the album a complete thing of poo...

also what happened to the 4-5 minute songs? 60min albums???

Edited by DRTDVL

I still do (Bat for Lashes & The Big Pink just last week) but I am a bit of a magpie and I like having shiny things, things I can hold, things that won't be lost forever if my itunes sh1ts itslef again.

Also, aside from buying music because I like it, I think for a while there, before the ready availability, or legitamacy, of downloads, I had managed to delude myself that the Ladies (Hullo Ladies, would youse Sheilas like a drunk?') would be impressed by a bookcase overfilled with tastefully selected albums. I have never received any indication whatsoever that this was the case, but the collecting habit has stayed with me.

Defiantly, only I hide mine in the spare room/man cave, unfortunately I have had over 15k’s worth of CD’s stolen over the years, piece by piece by “friends†and in two swoops from not so friends hence why im buying back catalogues when they are on sale.

I suppose I like CD’s for the simple fact they represent and bring back memories of long summers had in the 90’s as a kid when you only had three CD’s to last a whole holiday and they got thrashed out, even now that I have a I-Pod with all my CD’s on it I still go to the spare room, sit there and pick out some music for that long road trip..can spend an hour looking through and picking out albums.

So I have 110+ mostly rock/metal CD's, including many rare ones and complete sets of albums that artists have ever released. Before I sell em on trade me/real groovy/on here if anyone wants any??, I wanted to know how many people on here still go to the store/trade me/blah and buy a cd for it's full price, and whether it is worth my time trying to shift them.

I'll be keen to buy some off ya

I prefer buying cds and making rips of them myself so I know it's a high quality rip

plus if I lose all my mp3's, I can easily re-rip them and not have to spend months re-downloading

I suppose I like CD’s for the simple fact they represent and bring back memories of long summers had in the 90’s as a kid when you only had three CD’s to last a whole holiday and they got thrashed out, even now that I have a I-Pod with all my CD’s on it I still go to the spare room, sit there and pick out some music for that long road trip..can spend an hour looking through and picking out albums.

This is true. I think I can still remember every word to every song on Soul Asylum's Gravedancer's Union album. CD's were expensive when I first started buying them as a kid, so I think I tended to treasure them more.

And you're right, there's something quite enjoyable about sitting on the floor, poking through your collection, finding forgotten albums and the forgotten memories that go with them. I do NOT experience this whilst trying to organise my itunes.

I'll be keen to buy some off ya

I prefer buying cds and making rips of them myself so I know it's a high quality rip

plus if I lose all my mp3's, I can easily re-rip them and not have to spend months re-downloading

I am compiling the list now, will post the complete list up somewhere on here if I decide to sell them.

I download cd's

If I like I buy

Done this for a few years now and still the stack of cd's grows

I buy a few cds every now and then off Amazon.com. If you buy a few at a time it works out pretty cheap. My purist dad has trained me not to illegally download music. Theres something about rubbing ones chin and looking over the cd pile and plucking the right one out.

Guest Ari Gold

Religiously.

My first CD I bought myself was Nirvana - Nevermind, coinciding with the first tape I bought myself, which was Soundgarden - Down on the Upside. Last CD I bought was A-Trak's FabricLive mix CD.

The 10 stack album choices are crucial! I remember being 14 and throwing Sash - Encore un Fois into the old man's E30. To his credit he did let it remain in there!

Summer down at Waihi beach was fueled by Pearl Jam - Live on two legs, and cruising round in the old man's mint lazur blue 2dr E30.

Spending a month long holiday up at Teal Bay thrashing out Down on the Upside on my Walkman.

Coldplay's parachutes always reminds me of holidays in Matapouri (the old man bought it - not me!) Though Sparks is an insanely good song about unrequited love.

Limp Bizkit's Chocolate Starfish and the Hot Dog Flavored Water fueled the summer we just turned 16, caused the neighbours to ring up and complain (A LOT), drive too fast everywhere (in the Jaguar Sovereign), get girls over "for drinks" and generally cause teenage mischief. Seminal album (life-wise).

I have over 1000 CD's, most likely this is my old man's fault, he's got a stupid large number.

I'll find I'll collect sets of things, for example, the entire grunge back catalogue, spanning through Temple of the Dog, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Stone Temple Pilots, Alice in Chains, Helmet, Head, Melvins, Mudhoney, L7 etc etc etc.

I DJ occasionally, and lugging CD's is sure as sh*t easier than lugging round a box of vinyl!

I have all my music on iPod, but my iPods have sh*t themselves so many times, I'd never get rid of a physical backup of all my tunes. Though it is great carrying round 20,000 tracks (I'm one of those people who are always prepared - you'll never know when you need to fire up some Barzum for a black metal church burning)

I find I collect most of my rock and hip hop on CD, and more of my electronic stuff on a Digital format (320kbps+ thank you!) Though there are exceptions, I'm still hunting down the La Funk Mob Remix of Bomb The Bass - Bug Powder Dust on vinyl, can't find it anywhere though (listen here if yo haven't heard this remix, you will have

)

Anyway, I'm ranting about nothing in particular, suffice to say I find lots of common ground with Rob Fleming from Nick Hornby's book High Fidelity.

I find I collect most of my rock and hip hop on CD, and more of my electronic stuff on a Digital format (320kbps+ thank you!) Though there are exceptions, I'm still hunting down the La Funk Mob Remix of Bomb The Bass - Bug Powder Dust on vinyl, can't find it anywhere though (listen here if yo haven't heard this remix, you will have

)

nice cruisy remix thanks for sharing. I've given the darker K&D remix of Bug Powder Dust a lot of thrashing (K&D sessions FTMFW)

Guest Ari Gold

try this site for some hard to find / classic stuff...

http://www.dustygroove.com/

Nice!

K&D sessions FTMFW

Give Rockers Hi Fi - the black album (DJ kicks series) a spin as well, its well wicked, as is the K&D DJ Kicks also.

Here is the list:

PM me if anyone is interested.

1. Nirvana – Incesticide

2. Nirvana – MTV Unplugged In New York

3. Nirvana – From The Muddy Banks Of The Wishkah

4. Nirvana – Bleach

5. Nirvana - Nevermind

6. Nirvana - In Utero

7. Nirvana – Greatest Hits

8. Nirvana – With The Lights Out: Box Set

9. Red Hot Chili Peppers – Californication

10. Red Hot Chili Peppers – Blood Sugar Sex Majik

11. Red Hot Chili Peppers – Live At Hyde Park

12. Red Hot Chili Peppers – Red Hot Minute

13. Red Hot Chili Peppers – Greatest Hits

14. Red Hot Chili Peppers – Freaky Styley

15. Red Hot Chili Peppers – Mothers Milk

16. Red Hot Chili Peppers – By The Way

17. Red Hot Chili Peppers – The Red Hot Chili Peppers

18. Red Hot Chili Peppers – Stadium Arcadium

19. Weezer – Blue Album

20. Weezer – Green Album

21. Weezer – Pinkerton

22. Weezer – Maladroit

23. Weezer – Make Believe

24. Metallica – Load

25. Metallica – And Justice For All

26. Metallica – Black Album

27. Billy Talent – II

28. The White Stripes – Elephant

29. The White Stripes – Get Behind Me Satan

30. The White Stripes – Icky Thump

31. Deftones – Adrenaline

32. Deftones – White Pony

33. Deftones – B Sides and Rarities

34. Deftones – Saturday Night Wrist

35. Deftones – Deftones

36. Deftones – Around The Fur

37. Korn – Greatest Hits

38. The Living End – State Of Emergency

39. Pearl Jam – Rear View Mirror Greatest Hits

40. Bullet For My Valentine – Scream, Aim, Fire

41. Oasis – Stop The Clocks

42. Pacifier - Live

43. Foo Fighters – Skin And Bones

44. Foo Fighters – One By One

45. Foo Fighters – In Your Honor

46. Foo Fighters – There Is Nothing Left To Lose

47. Foo Fighters – Echoes, Silence, Patience And Grace

48. Rage Against The Machine – Live At The Olympic Auditorium

49. Rage Against The Machine – Rage Against The Machine

50. Rage Against The Machine – Evil Empire

51. Rage Against The Machine – The Battle Of Los Angeles

52. Rage Against The Machine - Renegades

53. A Perfect Circle – Mer De Noms

54. System Of A Down – System Of A Down

55. System Of A Down – Hypnotize

56. System Of A Down – Mezmerize

57. System Of A Down – Steal This Album

58. System Of A Down – Toxicity

59. Kings Of Leon – Because Of The Times

60. Radiohead – OK Computer

61. Radiohead – Greatest Hits

62. Queens Of The Stone Age – Era Vulgaris

63. Queens Of The Stone Age – Lullabies To Paralyze

64. Creed – Weathered

65. Creed – Human Clay

66. Green Day – International Superhits

67. Green Day – American Idiot

68. Green Day – Kerplunk

69. Green Day - Nimrod

70. Green Day – Dookie

71. Green Day - 1039/ Smoothed Out Slappy Hours

72. Tool – 10,000 Days

73. Tool – Aenima

74. Tool – Lateralus

75. Muse – Absolution

76. Silverchair – The Best Of: Vol 1

77. Blindspott – Blindspott

78. Blindspott – End The Silence

79. Guns And Roses – Greatest Hits

80. The Bleeders – As Sweet As Sin

81. Linkin Park - Meteora

82. The Bleeders – Bleeders

83. The Bleeders – Bleeding Heart Ep

84. The Datsuns – The Datsuns

85. The Datsuns – Smoke And Mirrors

86. The Datsuns – Outta Sight Outta Mind

87. Slipknot – Vol. 3

88. Slipknot – Slipknot

89. Slipknot – All Hope Is Gone

90. Slipknot – 9.0 Live

91. Slipknot - IOWA

92. Sex Pistols – Never Mind The Bollocks

93. Enter Shikari – Take To The Skies

94. Enter Shikari – The Zone

95. Incubus – Light Grenades

96. Incubus – Make Yourself

97. Incubus – S.C.I.E.N.C.E

98. Incubus – Fungus Amongus

99. Incubus – Crow Left Of The Murder

100. Incubus – Morning View

101. Incubus – Monuments And Melodies

102. Smashing Pumpkins – Rotten Apples: Greatest Hits

103. Smashing Pumpkins – Zeitgeist

104. Led Zeppelin – Mothership: Greatest Hits

105. Velvet Revolver – Libertad

106. Velvet Revolver – Contraband

107. Ben Harper And The Innocent Criminals – Live From Mars

108. The Offspring - Rise And Fall, Rage And Grace

109. Audioslave – Audioslave

110. Elemeno P – Love And Disrespect

111. Soundgarden – Greatest Hits

112. Tom Morrello - The Night Watchman

Edited by Forrest

All my old cd's are now on itunes with correct album artwork and ID3 tags.

All my mp3 collection I have 'gathered' is also on there with correct ID3 tags and most album artwork

All my itunes purchased albums and songs are on there too

All my pod casts etc ....

A selection of my library is synced with my iphone and i can listen to it anywhere, including the car

My whole library is run from a portable hardrive so I can use it on any computer and it is incrementally backed up regularly including playlists, iphone apps, preferences etc etc

I don't think I will ever buy another CD again, they are messy, get lost and scratched and are pointless these days.

Give Rockers Hi Fi - the black album (DJ kicks series) a spin as well, its well wicked, as is the K&D DJ Kicks also.

Will do - listening to samples on amazon now. Have kd dj kicks already :)

I only have 1 CD that I own within 6,500 miles of me. It is the last Kings of Leon album (can't remember its name off hand).

All my music is digital, with all of my CD's in storage somewhere. I have circa 750 CD's on my ipod/portable HDD.

Cheers

Grant

50/50, Still use the 6 Stacker in the car but wanting to go digital for all.

Currently looking into the best way to adapt and MP3 player of some kind into the factory system.

I tend to buy most of my CD's impulse from Mobil when getting petrol on long trips.