Sign in to follow this  
GO2H3L

Another Newbie!

Hay everyone

I managed to stumble across this website while browsing on ratemyride.co.nz and as I have the opportunity to get my brothers BMW I thought I mite as well join up.

Firstly I know very little about BMWs!! I currently have a 1990 Mitzi Mirage Cyborg 4WD running a worked VR4 motor which I plan to sell as it is unreliable as hell and to be honest I'm sick of it.

My brother has offered to sell me his '87 320i Coupe. Its a 5spd manual and in great condition! it's done 213xxx k's but goes very well, doesn't smoke etc and gets serviced reguarly.

I plan on getting some 17"s or 18"s for it and making it as low as it will go! tinted windows and a good sound system will probably see me pretty happy. Perhapes even a rotary dump pipe to get that straight six sound out!!

As I don't know alot about BMWs I would appreciate any ideas and also what wheels would fit etc.

Cheers B)

God - Bimmer Boy was that you -- i was lookin round RMR and on every bimmer username : bimmersport then comment : www.bimmersport.co.nz :D

Ah well welcome and go for that 320. Please, don't get chromies for it :D i'm sick of seeing bimmers with huge chromies (unless shadow chrome :P )

Finding wheels for them is a bit of a mission unless you are going to buy new, there just aren't many 4 x 100 with rear wheel drive offset mags arounds.

God - Bimmer Boy was that you -- i was lookin round RMR and on every bimmer username : bimmersport then comment : www.bimmersport.co.nz :D

Ah well welcome and go for that 320. Please, don't get chromies for it :D i'm sick of seeing bimmers with huge chromies (unless shadow chrome :P )

yea i did that ages ago when ther wernt too many members so i did a bit of spamming

Well turns out I can get the Beema as soon as I sell my Cyborg so thats all good! I was looking to buy a set of rims brand new + springs, what springs are the best to drop it low?

Edited by GO2H3L

I can get ya springs up to 60mm lower for around $350 i think. Choice of brands, dobisport, whiteline, lovells, etc. Not king springs tho. (Main difference will be colour, all after-market springs are around 30% stiffer than stock, same as sports shocks, all around 30% stiffer than factory.

Regarding rim's though, most people think 17's look better but 16's will work on the car far better, less unsprung weight, better ride, less harsh on steering and suspesion components, etc. Not to mention they are normally cheaper as well. BTW, i actually think 16's look better on E30's than 17's

Edit- if you can afford it upgrade your shocks to something stiffer as soon as you can. Standard shock will wear quicker with the upgraded spring rates and they might also bounce. Getting stiffer shocks to match the stiffer springs will make a huge difference in handling, much more than just spring alone.

Edited by petone

16's or 15's the best.....having had 17's once upon a time.....they are gay as they bend easily, have no sidewall flex, and are a much harsher ride.

jamex superlows go about 60 mm lower and look good, but you really do need new shocks, as the stock ones sh*t themselves pretty quickly, as well as not being captive

Welcome - enjoy your ride and wear her with ride!

Huh??? :huh::huh:

Anyway, welcome aboard and enjoy your stay

Huh??? :huh::huh:

Anyway, welcome aboard and enjoy your stay

:o long day at kohi beach under the baking sun today - much too drink...

ment to be pride....pride man!

your from wellignton and have the name GO2H3LL i can't help but think you must work at hell pizza? off topic sorry just might be a total random correct guess.

enter (relevant) text here

Haha, nah don't work for hell pizza, just own the plate GO2H3L which is actually on my mates VR4 at the moment... may even put it on the bimmer.

Edited by GO2H3L