Sign in to follow this  
martyyn

Personalised plates and rego

If I was to buy a set of euro plates off tradme what does it cost for me to change from my 'given' plate to them?

Anyone know ?

Well it costs $14.95 to hand in a set of Given plates, to be re-issued with a different set and rego plate number, rego paper printed out for your window..

I am guessing it would be alot less to hand in your plates and just have the window rego thing re-printed with your cars new plate?

It use to be about .70c

It costs like 20 cents to put a plate on your car.

As kaz said. A few cents is all it costs. Hand over your govt plates (to be destroyed) then show proof of the personalised plates and pay a few cents for the new rego slip. Easy as.

But when you change back to govt plates it will cost $15 for replacement plates. But if changing to another set of personalised plates, just need to do the same as with the first personalised plate.

yeah its 20 cents, i swapped over from my standard plate to the personalised plate i got last week, you have to hand in the originals... the lady was a little confused when i handed the plates in but then drive off b4 changing my new ones over... i still had the fake german plates on :)

I want to change my "given" plate to Euro... $400 though.

Thats my point. It costs $400 to just change my existing plate in the first place so if I can pick up a euro plate off TM for half that and transfer it for pennies why not ?

Im not looking for anything personal to me, just something thats not offensive and half the price of swapping my own plate.

yea it's crazy eh, $400 to make my current govt plate a little wider to suit my car, absolute rip-off artists

although, I guess it's better than $900 for a new personalised euro plate lol

And are illegal with more and more people getting caught and fined every day :rolleyes: In fact, didnt they stop making NZ plates altogether ?

Ive done UK plates many times and havent had any trouble with fines because the UK font is nothing like the German one.

But as Im not bothered what the plate says why not pick one up for the same price of the fine and be all nice and legal?

But as Im not bothered what the plate says why not pick one up for the same price of the fine and be all nice and legal?

Yeah, seems like a good idea, and saves the $$$s without the risk of getting the fine. When I got my plate transferred to the car, it was just the 20c mentioned.

I might start trawling the TradeMe plates for a cheap Euro as well, as it's such a good idea...

Reminds of the old joke about, why pay lots of money for a personal plate, just change your name by deed-poll to "CEY362" :unsure:

I wish I hadnt said anything now, cause all the standard plates are going to go up in price with us all trying to get one.

Maybe I should delete the thread until I buy something for myself :P

I haven't read the whole thread but by the sounds of your last post Martyn you want to buy a Euro style standard plate off trade me? Ie. XXX123 ??

Sort of Nick :)

I want a personalised euro plate where the 'personalised' xxx123 means something Im not bothered about.

Im aware you cant swap 'standard' plates but seen a couple of plates which could easily be mistaken for a standard xxx123 designation.

I quite fancy the PROPLR plate thats on at the moment, but not enough to pay 500 for it.

Edited by Penry

Haha! Its a good idea but you can't buy and sell the government issue plates. Ie. XXX123. You can only buy and sell personalised plates. So if you want to buy a euro plate straight off trade me its gonna be personalised.

The good buys are definitely the BMW Euro plates. A couple have gone recently for under $300. Thats for a plate that reads, BMWxxx. If only I had cash!

I looked into this ages ago before I got my German plates.

Hope thats of some help.

----

There! You edited.

Yep, if you're lucky enough to come across them. I have a look every now and again but not much is there.

Are there many on there now?

Edited by Nick021

The good buys are definitely the BMW Euro plates. A couple have gone recently for under $300. Thats for a plate that reads, BMWxxx. If only I had cash!

Yeah, but I know its a BMW and I think its retarded to buy a plate with the car make on it :D

If I can pick something up for $200 or less Id be well happy.

I saw one two months ago, and the seller offered that plate for $250. Unfortunately I didn't check my offered list and missed out!!

Let's hope we're not going to bid against each other, eh?

BMW NZ reserved all 999 BMW gov't issue plates did a deal and made them all euro size and gave them away with new cars back in 03 or whenever BMW sequence were issued, so the story goes thats why they are several hundred to buy now

I think 400 to change your origonal plates to kiwi ones is just a have. I'd imagine GermanPlates.com would have similar manufacturing standards yet they are over 4 times the price. Where do they get their pricing from?