Sign in to follow this  
mark247

Am I going to freeze my tits off?

Woman here are pretty damn tidy. Miles ahead of NZ really, sad to say.

Unfortunately, I have no plans of bring any home with me. My suitcase is overweight already.

I wonder if Mainfreight will allow me to ship a few back?

I wonder if Mainfreight will allow me to ship a few back?

group buy?

I wondered why people enjoy going to the food court to hang out. I have now found out why. The entertainment is amazing.

Last night, Oleg ( who i live with ) and his mate were kind enough to let me go out and shoot up beer bottles, on the street ( a quiet street though ) with his mates PM Makarov 9mm. Was fun until the stupid thing jammed, quality Soviet sh*t.

Drunk guy coma'd out. People were standing around him getting photos.

Posted Image

Then a fight breaks out. 2 on 1. The solo guy gave it his all though, got a few good punches in. But when the two fellas managed to break his nose on a chair it was pretty much over. Quality.

Posted Image

Edited by Mark247

Haha mean fun.

p.s I like how you plan on painting that m50 in your e30. Fluro green Craze.

Here are some less funny ones.

Yesterday I went with my friend Indrek from Estonia and some students from a local University to an Orphanage in another city. Two hour drive in the worst weather ever, snow everywhere. Once we got there it was honestly the saddest place I have ever been. If anyone has been to an Orphanage you will understand, quiet a sobering experience to say the very least. The children put on a little show for us. I didn't take many photos of the place, but if you google "Ukrainian Orphanages" you will get an idea.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Isn't it amazing. So hard to adopt children in NZ now. Yet there are so many poor countires with hundreds of children, that nobody wants.

Bring one back Mark.

If I had money and I wasn't a student I probably would of! Seriously, that orphanage was such a sad place.

On another note, I went to Chernobyl yesterday. Took a gieger counter with me, was pretty crazy. Walking through Pripyat it was reading normal low levels of radiation because of the snow cover but as soon as you put the gieger counter up against something metal it would just fly off the scale. Very cool ;)

Also when you go close to reactor 4 it would show some pretty high figures... scary stuff.. but safe for a short amount of time

I am staying in a hostel in Kiev until friday so I cant put photos up yet, but once I get back to Dnepropetrovsk Ill put a heap up.

If you enjoy walking around abandoned buildings, going to Chernobyl is money well spent..

If I had money and I wasn't a student I probably would of! Seriously, that orphanage was such a sad place.

On another note, I went to Chernobyl yesterday. Took a gieger counter with me, was pretty crazy. Walking through Pripyat it was reading normal low levels of radiation because of the snow cover but as soon as you put the gieger counter up against something metal it would just fly off the scale. Very cool ;)

Also when you go close to reactor 4 it would show some pretty high figures... scary stuff.. but safe for a short amount of time

I am staying in a hostel in Kiev until friday so I cant put photos up yet, but once I get back to Dnepropetrovsk Ill put a heap up.

If you enjoy walking around abandoned buildings, going to Chernobyl is money well spent..

Lucky you. I know I'm going there some day.

How close can you get to reactor 4? When you go there, do you have to follow a tour guide around? Or can you just walk around yourself?

Lucky you. I know I'm going there some day.

How close can you get to reactor 4? When you go there, do you have to follow a tour guide around? Or can you just walk around yourself?

You go into the town of Chernobyl ( where people still work 2weeks on/2weeks off ) and the tour guide from there takes you to show you around. You get maybe within about 100meters of Reactor 4. At that point my gieger counter ( i brought my own, only the guide and I had one ) was reading 1.8 to around 2.0 microsieverts per hour.

Normal is between .1 and .3 microsieverts per hour.

In Pripyat the guide showed us the usual places, the pool, town centre, etc and we could follow him but if we saw an interesting room or something there was nothing stopping us going in. Because of the snow in pripyat it was reading really low, about .3 but as soon as I put my gieger counter up to anything metal that was outside it was fly up. Obviously we wouldnt walk far from the guide, because there are hot spots. I would recommend going with a tour group, I'm not actually sure if you are allowed to go on your own anymore..

Ok so here are some photos of my trip to Chernobyl.

I took a heap more photos, but I have only resized a few for now.

This is one of the vehicles they used in the clean up. Around the vehicle it measued about .3 of the gieger counter.. which is safe. On the tracks it measured 8.0!

Posted Image

Reactor 4, where it all went down in 1986. Measured about 1.8 on the gieger counter.

Posted Image

Welcome to Pripyat

Posted Image

One of the buildings in the centre of Pripyat

Posted Image

Pripyat

Posted Image

Near the amusement park in Pripyat

Posted Image

Me at the ferris wheel

Posted Image

Swimming pool. Inside buildings it measured very low radiation.

Posted Image

The library in the school

Posted Image

Reminds me of call of duty 4 lol.

lol pretty much. You'd have to sit pretty close to the tele to reinact the radiation levels though!

Here are some more pics

A nice book about Lenin

Posted Image

Some stuff on the ground

Posted Image

Backstage in the main theatre in Pripyat

Posted Image

Some apartments

Posted Image

A sign a recognized from the internet so I took a photo of it

Posted Image

One of the schools in Pripyat, which looks a lot like the school I am working at teaching English! (design I mean)

Posted Image

I'm more reminded of Half life 2

I'm getting quite a geography lesson from this thread.

Chur Mark.

lol It's a rather bias geography lession missing out the boring bits haha.

Here are some photos of Kiev, for anyone remotely interested

Centre of Kiev

Posted Image

Centre of Kiev

Posted Image

Memorial for all the people who died from starvation in the Ukraine in the early 30's when the Soviets decided to sell all their crops to others so they could buy other sh*t ( short history lession for Emily )

Posted Image

what a out of it place that is .

edit- no need to quote post and images from the previous post

Edited by Mike

Keep up the photos and the posts Mark. This is fascinating!

I'm afraid the photos may of hit their peak of fasination at Pripyat.. I'm gonna have to keep working hard to keep them interesting...

Here are a few more pics anyway. I couldn't be bothered resizing them before, but now that I'm mildly drunk and cant sleep... it's a bleeze. lol.

Reactor 5 and 6 cooling tower

Posted Image

Reactor 5 which was never finished after melt down in 86.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Radioactive wild dog

Posted Image

Edited by Mark247

HL2 graphics arent that good....

I was more refering to the architecture. IIRC one of the developers for Half Life 2 was from this part of the world

exactly what I was thinking, particularly after that last of pictures that he's put up with the apartment blocks

Just got back from the Crimea. We went to Sevastopol which is the home of the Russian Black Sea Navy fleet. Pretty damn interesting city, heaps of stuff to look at. We met some random girls in town, we have discovered the best pick up line in the World is "Do you speak English? Where am I?" They were kind enough to meet us the next day, take us to Balaclava to show us the old underground Russian submarine base.. and then they also took us nightclubbing. Good times. Here's some pics. These photos arent in any order..

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image