Sign in to follow this  
Gunner

Need tips on modifying e36 coupe rear speaker pod things to fit 5.25&q

Just wondering if it is possible for me to somehow fit a 5.25 speaker into those. Im guessing they are currenty 4" ones in there?

You can get decent JVC speaker's and they fit the into the "nokia pods" if thats what your talking about. I have them amped running a pretty low wattage and they sound all good. I would recommend doing the front speakers in the kick panels first as they make a huge diffrence.

You can get decent JVC speaker's and they fit the into the "nokia pods" if thats what your talking about. I have them amped running a pretty low wattage and they sound all good. I would recommend doing the front speakers in the kick panels first as they make a huge diffrence.

did u have to mod the speakers by getting rid of 2 of the screw holes? because the original ones in there only have 2 screw holes for the speakers as it is?

You can get 5.25" versions of the pods that bolt straight up. Contact Ray or Brent (I got a set from Brent). I believe they came on facelift cars with the better speaker package / stereo system.

run a set of 4" rockfords in the back and some nice 5.25's in the front. Very very nice sounds. Speakers idealy need a housing so drilling into the metal and leaving them un-housed will sound worse than the original ones.

decided that im gna drill into the metal and mount them from the bootside.

DO NOT MODIFY any metal in that area, it's a no go area for WOF. Too close to shock tower and seat belt mounting points. Drilling a hole for a PK screw is OK, but do not cut any metal away. The rear parcel shelf (metal) is structural.

I'd be doing what Jason (ISLE69) has suggested

Edited by *Glenn*

DO NOT MODIFY any metal in that area, it's a no go area for WOF. Too close to shock tower and seat belt mounting points. Drilling a hole for a PK screw is OK, but do not cut any metal away. The rear parcel shelf (metal) is structural.

I'd be doing what Jason (ISLE69) has suggested

okay. thanks for the info. will be getting a set of 4" speakers soon

Edited by *Glenn*

DO NOT MODIFY any metal in that area, it's a no go area for WOF.

x2

If they spring you in a wof then you're up for $400+ for a certification.

Edited by *Glenn*

I just made wooden spacers.

Posted Image

and the thickness of the parcel tray cover is enough to hold them down.

Either get some spacers or get the right sized speakers similar to what Jase did. Definately don't cut or modify the metal in any way.

Edited by Kaz

like these .

factory 5.25" or 6.5"

also 6" by 9" adaptors

post-279-1258076688.jpg

post-279-1258076782.jpg

post-279-1258076816.jpg

post-279-1258076857.jpg

Will you guys please reduce your pictures to 800 X 600 before posting please ... or they will be deleted