Sign in to follow this  
Top Secret

These are getting seriously cheap!

Not a huge fan of the colour but its not bad,

but seriously I love these M5's dare I say it my favourite M5?, Not many of them around too

Its ten years old and has 140,000km, that would be below average milage one would think.

Would love one.

There was one at Team Mcmillan in that hue and I said to myself who the hell would buy a BMW M5 in that coulor thinking it was special order or something.. obviously not.

Used to think the same Graham but you get used to it and it's got a bit of sleeper appeal.

Their cars are always reasonably priced. Don't think it will sit there for long.

That's reasonably cheap for a 400hp super sedan :P I'm not liking the colour though, looks poo

I was in there 2 days ago looking at their M3. The M5 definitely wasn't on the yard then. Might be worth dropping in to check it out!

John and Chris always have very good cars down there, and they are pretty good guys too!

There's one in the same colour in Auckland, and it looks as bad as in person as it does in the photos.

Are those illegal German plates?

I think the colour does that price some serious damage, if I had one it would be black, red or silver, I've seen one in red and it did look rather tough. Loving the illegal plate on there, the Gestapo would love it! My uncle went to trade his E60 M5 with every option virtually with 90km, absolutely immaculate and they offered 65k as a trade, which would make that E39 too expensive.

What would the maintance be like on one of these at those k's?

Price is good, Colour is not the best. I liked the red one that was for sale a while back

I like the colour ^_^. Would definitely take that over red/silver. That's some serious value for money when you think about it.

What would the maintance be like on one of these at those k's?

Price is good, Colour is not the best. I liked the red one that was for sale a while back

just remember it is a 200 000 dollar car.....prices for bits and peices for //M Cars are several times that their run of the mill brethren 400 hp AND torque to match.

Colour for me would have to be the dark blue

Edited by kiwi535

Id rock a red one with red and black leather, that nice dark red. Imola is it?

Service costs would be expensive but if using the car properly, ie sideways tyre smoking track days, cruises it would be well worth it.

Prices are very much in line with what E34 M5's were around 2000 when they were 10 years old - around $30-$35k.

Fascinating thing is that there are only like 10-15 of E34's around and today they are worth $12-$15k. Will E39 M5's be the same price in 10 years time? There alot more of them (40+), and the engines are far more complex. Will they depreciate just as quick?

SS

Prices are very much in line with what E34 M5's were around 2000 when they were 10 years old - around $30-$35k.

Fascinating thing is that there are only like 10-15 of E34's around and today they are worth $12-$15k. Will E39 M5's be the same price in 10 years time? There alot more of them (40+), and the engines are far more complex. Will they depreciate just as quick?

SS

i think they will depreciate even faster than e 34.

re the black one above its the only one i have seen without sports seats.

Edited by kiwi535

e39 M5's will be to e34 M5's as e36 M3's are to e30 M3's.

No way, E34 M5's are worth nothing, the V8 M5 is regarded as the best M5 by quite a few.

No way, E34 M5's are worth nothing, the V8 M5 is regarded as the best M5 by quite a few.

and quite a few regard the e34 M5 as the bees knees.....time will tell

and quite a few regard the e34 M5 as the bees knees.....time will tell

I'm looking for an E39 M5 - but I'm fussy - waiting for a facelift one with all the boxes ticked which are even harder to find. I reckon they are great value for money.

The one Archibalds had was nice, but I later learnt that it did have an oil leak. It sold for a lot less than the advertised price. It was bought by the guy who traded in the E34 540IS that has been talked about in here. I've driven the black one with the comfort seats when it was for sale privatly in Wgtn and its an immaculate car, and has a very expensive aftermarket Tubi exhaust system on it that sounds great. The silver one in Hamilton is not bad, bit of wear and tear on the interior, but nothing major. Personally I find the silver a bit boring though.

The search continues.........

Edited by philwalter

I'm looking for an E39 M5 - but I'm fussy - waiting for a facelift one with all the boxes ticked which are even harder to find. I reckon they are great value for money.

The one Archibalds had was nice, but I later learnt that it did have an oil leak. It sold for a lot less than the advertised price. It was bought by the guy who traded in the E34 540IS that has been talked about in here. I've driven the black one with the comfort seats when it was for sale privatly in Wgtn and its an immaculate car, and has a very expensive aftermarket Tubi exhaust system on it that sounds great. The silver one in Hamilton is not bad, bit of wear and tear on the interior, but nothing major. Personally I find the silver a bit boring though.

The search continues.........

I agree with you ; the facelifted ones are the ones to get. The best one for sale in recent times was the Le Mans blue one (2002) with black leather and 53kms that was for sale in South Otago. It sold to a guy in Auckland for $50k. The problem is trying to get a nice, low km example - a few people want them but they are scarce.

Have you seen the HAmilton car? I thought the interior was pretty good for the mileage. The only concern were some scratches or marks on the metal surrounds around the gear-shift gaiter. Leather was pretty good.

The one at Archibalds was marketed privately in Wellington about a year or 18 months ago. It was a little weathered looking then- I think it may have had a re-spray of the bonnet when it arrives at Archibalds.

Silver is OK though - easy to keep clean! IMHO - the best colour is the blue.

Edited by Penry

Thanks, good to know that there are a few facelift versions out there. The Archibalds one is the only one I've seen in about the last 6mths of keeping an eye on the market, and I was begining to worry it was the only facelift in the country :-) :-)

Yeah I agree, the Hamilton one is pretty good, I had a quick look over it on the yard, its been for sale for a while now. Also had the chance to buy the blue Tradin Post car privately before the owner traded it, but was put off by the kms ( and non facelift) - the colour actually didn't bother me, I thought it looked quite nice.

Thanks, good to know that there are a few facelift versions out there. The Archibalds one is the only one I've seen in about the last 6mths of keeping an eye on the market, and I was begining to worry it was the only facelift in the country :-) :-)

Yeah I agree, the Hamilton one is pretty good, I had a quick look over it on the yard, its been for sale for a while now. Also had the chance to buy the blue Tradin Post car privately before the owner traded it, but was put off by the kms ( and non facelift) - the colour actually didn't bother me, I thought it looked quite nice.

km alone shouldnt be a concern....only if it hasnt had the maintenance required...

Hi Phil,

From what I have been able to gather, I understand that there were around 7 registered in 2002 and 2 in 2003.

They will pop up, but it wouldn't surprise me if things are exchanging hands without ever being marketed because I have heard a few people have expressed an interest in them and have informed the dealerships to keep an eye out for them when they are in for trades. If you look at the ads, the ones that are up for sale are the early ones with 110-140kms. I think the buying zone for these cars is $30-$35k (IMO). No more.

Hi Phil,

From what I have been able to gather, I understand that there were around 7 registered in 2002 and 2 in 2003.

They will pop up, but it wouldn't surprise me if things are exchanging hands without ever being marketed because I have heard a few people have expressed an interest in them and have informed the dealerships to keep an eye out for them when they are in for trades. If you look at the ads, the ones that are up for sale are the early ones with 110-140kms. I think the buying zone for these cars is $30-$35k (IMO). No more.

Spot on. I was offered one earlier in the year that never made it to market, sold for under 30k. Didnt have the money so I didnt even look at it so im unsure of details, it was NZ new though.