Sign in to follow this  
*Glenn*

Camera lenses ?

After an awesome SI holiday in Queenstown I've decided to upgrade my Sony 5m Cybershot. I also have an older Canon SLR film camera. If I go for a new Digi Canon 450 or 500 can I use the lenses from my older camera ? I have fish eye, macro and tele lenses

If it has the same fitting, I think.

But sometimes the automatic focus may be incompatible.

Someone that knows lots may be able to correct me.

How much do you want for your old camera ?

Which one... I dont intend selling the Sony Cybershot

Most canon lenses will fit the new digital models. If they are an EF mount then definitely.

Does your film SLR have autofocus? If so then the lenses will have focus motors in them and will most probably work. Easiest way to find out: Take the lenses with you to a camera shop and try them out.

Most canon lenses will fit the new digital models. If they are an EF mount then definitely.

Does your film SLR have autofocus? If so then the lenses will have focus motors in them and will most probably work. Easiest way to find out: Take the lenses with you to a camera shop and try them out.

Pretty sure they are EF mount & auto focus. Havent used it for so long...I'll check tonight

Not sure if the actual lenses will be compatable, trying to rack my brain...

I'm pretty sure if your old SLR is a Canon also it may fit.

I always have rememebered in most cases though you cannot use a lense from a DSLR on a film SLR (vice versa). Even if you can mount them they will leave the image with unexposed corners.

Some lenses have warnings on them when bought suggesting they won't provide a full image on other makes of slrs, at some focal lengths.

I think the quality of the images, wouldn't be as sharp if you used your older lenses on the Canon. I'd much rather fork out a for a newer lense.

Are you looking for a zoom or wide angle?

I can see where you are coming from, a few thousand for a decent lense is a bit :huh:.

A 75-300 lense is about $450 last time I checked.

Good luck Glenn.

Edited by MS BM

I was thinking along the same lines but wasnt sure. I'm going to upgrade though and its prbably best I buy the newer lenses with the camera. Just thought I'd ask

Some of the very good lenses found on Canon digital SLR's today are exactly the same as when they were first manufactured in the 70's and 80's. And Canon actually pride themselves on the fact that their older lenses are compatible with most of their newer camera bodies.

Glenn, your macro, fisheye and tele lenses would most likely produce better quality images than the all in one wide angle / tele lens combo found in most camera kits these days. If you're looking at the 1000d / 450d / 500d / 7d cameras, they all have crop sensors which will work fine with your 35mm EF lenses... no issues with unexposed corners etc..

Edited by _Mark_

Thanks for that Mark. Havent had time to research it properly. Made the decission flying home yesterday to upgrade. I'll take my time and get as much info as I can before I jump into it. Must check out my older camera & lenses tonight

Focal length will change by factor of 1.6x on the 400D/500D due to their sensor size compare to film.

for example - a 24-70 lens will become a effectively 38-112mm when used on 400D/500D

I always recommend any film upgrader to get the basic kit with 18-55 or body only + 17-85 IS lens so you have a "standard" lens.

IMHO, the best all purpose lens for everyday use would be the 17-85 IS. Of course there is a 18-200 IS as well but more expensive ($3xx more) and heavier (20%)

Hi Glenn.

In all honesty I think that when you purchase a new DSLR youre not going to be wanting to put your old lenses on it! Esp when you can get good kit lenses cheaply that produce great results.

As mentioned above I think that the focal length will change due to the sensor size of the two cameras being different. This is called "crop sensor" Rule of thumb is to multply the focal lens of your old lenses by 1.6

As above, buy a camera with a kit lens. Its a great way to get started and learn the camera not to mention the cheapest alternative.

The 500D you've linked looks to be a very sharp price! It comes with a good wide angle (18-55mm) and a good zoom lens (55-250mm) These will be perfect to get you up and running, producing great results. One thing to look at is the warrenty. It looks as if you have to send back to the seller who then sends it to Hong Kong. Just be wary of this.

I know its a more expensive option but buying from a well reputed company can be invaluable when it comes to any problems/questions you may have.

Hope this is of some help.

Cheers

Brett

Edited by 3 SERIES

^^^ Thanks Brett... I'm thinking along the lines of a twin lense kit as well. I just used those as examples. I'm still researching. I agree about the warranty and expect to probably have to pay a little more. When I do get a camera I can always play around with my old lenses just to see what happens and what effects they have.

^^^ Thanks Brett... I'm thinking along the lines of a twin lense kit as well. I just used those as examples. I'm still researching. I agree about the warranty and expect to probably have to pay a little more. When I do get a camera I can always play around with my old lenses just to see what happens and what effects they have.

No worries Glenn.

A few months ago now I purchased a near new Canon 40D (semi prof) DSLR body from a photographer on trade me for $1200, RRP at the time was about $2200. I then picked up a standard 18-55mm kit lens for $100 and a 50mm Prime Lens for $120. This setup is more than enough for me to keep me entertained/frustrated, produces fantastic photos and didnt break the bank! :D

Dont want to throw a spanner in the works but take a look at the 40D or 50D if you can push that far. The build quality is far superior to say the 1000D, 450D, 500D. More of a semi prof camera before heading the full frame option.

It pays to take your time, and shop around.

Let me know if you have any more questions

Yes..I'm keeping my options open. I've also looked at the 40D & 50D as well. Its quite time consuming looking through all of these and cross referencing all the options & specs

Focal length will change by factor of 1.6x on the 400D/500D due to their sensor size compare to film.

for example - a 24-70 lens will become a effectively 38-112mm when used on 400D/500D

I always recommend any film upgrader to get the basic kit with 18-55 or body only + 17-85 IS lens so you have a "standard" lens.

IMHO, the best all purpose lens for everyday use would be the 17-85 IS. Of course there is a 18-200 IS as well but more expensive ($3xx more) and heavier (20%)

Glenn, plus one to the above comments - that is, your lenses will work if they are off an EF Canon 35mm, but there is a conversion factor due to the digital sensor being smaller than 35mm film.

Personally, I have a 20D, and used to have the 18-55 and a 55-200, but found I hated carrying two lenses and therefore always had the wrong one with me!!

I now have a Tamron 18-240mm lens, which does the job of both - not the 'fastest' lens, but fine for family shots, holiday snaps etc.

Let me know if I can help with prices etc, often I cannot beat the prices from the Big Box or Parallel/Trademe stores, but I am willing to look up prices for you, and hand on to you.

Cheers

Greg

The Tamron lense seems to be the way to go, having read up a bit on it. Can you PM me your phone number Greg ?

I've decided to put my old camera and lenses on Tardme...BTW...Its a Nikon not a Canon :wacko: .. shows you how long its been since I used it. Nikon F401S, 35-70mm & Sigma 70-210mm Auto lenses with a Deitz MC1.7 X N/AF auto tele convertor & carry bag... if anyone is interested.

I'm tossing up with a Canon 500D 18-55mm & 55-200 IS lenses or a Nikon D5000 with the same lenses

Anyone here that can suggest good / bad features with these two ??. I like the Nikons moveable LCD screen as a feature.

BTW: I can get better deals than the ones on tardme with NZ warranties

Edited by *Glenn*

Thanks Josh.... I didn't find those. I downloaded both user manuals and read about each... bloody confusing... you go out looking at one thing... then everything changes... like going out to buy a 120i and coming home with a M3

Edited by *Glenn*

Well finally done the deed yesterday morning... Got myself the Nikon D5000 twin lense pack + extra battery, 8gig Extreme SD card and a (canon) Back pack.

Got the best deal fom Noel Leeming in Manukau

Oh no you didnt get a Nikon did you..................

:P just joking. Thats a s*$t hot package Glenn. Make sure you post some pics once you get the hang of it.

Now you have to master lightroom/photoshop!

Well finally done the deed yesterday morning... Got myself the Nikon D5000 twin lense pack + extra battery, 8gig Extreme SD card and a (canon) Back pack.

Got the best deal fom Noel Leeming in Manukau

You won't regret it Glenn.

Interestingly I stayed at a B&B in Perth recently, and there was a photographer staying there who worked for National geographic, Discovery Channel etc doing wildlife photos.

He purchased very expensive lenses, but just used the D5000 as his camera - he said it did everything he needed and was 1/2 ( or less ) the weight of the Pro models!!