Sign in to follow this  
andrewballantine

Don't get a c36 AMG

Test drove a C36 AMG two weeks back, it didn't even pull as hard as any of the e34 or e39 540i beemers I've had and its manual said it only had 191kw(?) when I was thinking its 206kw. To cut a long story short got a c43 AMG same day which has way more features and pulled much harder. seriously I was offered the c36 for $12,000 and didn't even consider it- when you can get a 540i for $6000 why would you???

A C36 does have more "pedigree" than a 540i.. I think tidy ones will be worth something one day, as they are the first production AMG

x2.

Strange post.

Mate had a C36 and it was 210kw stock, dyno tested, was 276hp with 380nm, he had it chipped and it put out near 290hp and 400nm, that’s not bad, cornered well and was a really nice tourer, only problem with Mercedes AMG is that they are all Auto and are not designed to be M like. The C43 isn’t that great in comparison to an M-Car either, much faster in a straight line than the C36 but still slow by modern standards, a crummy HSV will crush it.

Posted Image

A C36 does have more "pedigree" than a 540i.. I think tidy ones will be worth something one day, as they are the first production AMG

x3.

Our family owns a 96 C36, thus have done a few miles in it , and struggle to see how the C36 is a much worse value for money car compared to the 540i.Whilst it is an AMG , its intention was never to tackle the likes of the E36 M3 or M5 (which many people believe it was meant to), as Apex said , its purpose was to be a tourer with the options such as full electric seats , Bose sound system , Sat Nav, only avaliable in auto e.t.c .

Try selling a 540i now or even in 5-10 years compared to a C36 and one would note there would be a significant resale value difference between the two.

Edited by JohnM575

C36 and C43 are FTW - if i had to buy two second hand mercs it would be either or of the C series AMG's and a SL500 Coupe. The C36's are a pretty bad ass 6 cyl merc in my opinion and i'd almost own one over a E36. Just a shame theyre not in manual however the C180 and C200 boxes can be made to fit :P

Edited by -ISLE69-

+4

Driven them both, different cars the C43 and C36... Ofcourse the 43 is going to pull harder with the V8, especially down low. Both are epic cars and are both more exclusive than a run of the mill 540i which co-incidentally are cars both in a different weight/class anyway. Can't really compare them TBH.

Waht do you think of your recent C36 purchase? Opinion changed from the title line...

imo Mercedes are only good cars when New. the w202 c43 is a mint car but now thats its 10 years old its not that great.

Ild take a 10 year old BMW over a 10 year old Mercedes everytime.