Sign in to follow this  
1rotty

e30 Schnitzer

I'm thinking its time to get the schnizzle moving a bit quicker so I'm considering some of Wayneys headers & a decent (not OTT) cam.

Any advice or words of wisdom from the engine gurus would be much appreciated.

And to all you pre pubescent e30 owners dont even go there with the 2.7/turbo/sc stuff-not interested. :rolleyes:

i would say go for the cam , kelford make some good ones and yes to wayney's headers. while your there you can improve intake with trimming your intake gaskets and throtle body to correctly match your port sizes, angle cut your valves and if you want stroke it with a m52b28 crank.

e: cam not cams

Edited by kerry

2 words - DO IT!

One of the best mods i've done by far. Everyone that i know of that has done it has nothing but good things to say!

I'd say go for the B28 crank, complete engine refresh and balance, lightened flywheel, larger valves, cam (not cams) Valve springs, stronger rocker arms, blue print all ports, headers and a remap... ooops.... and a new dissy cap & rotor

Edited by *Glenn*

I'd say go for the B28 crank, complete engine refresh and balance, lightened flywheel, larger valves, cam (not cams) Valve springs, stronger rocker arms, blue print all ports, headers and a remap... ooops.... and a new dissy cap & rotor

Do you have a price tag on the above Glenn? Quite interested myself, now that my race car's motor is getting a bit tired.

Probably without the headwork though. Not sure I could bring myself to get headwork done on a m20 boat anchor :lol:

You need a M20B25 motronic to start with, M52B28 crank, conrods and a few other mods. You will have to do the head to get the advantages of the increased capacity. Never done one, but I did research it all some time ago.

Have all the info on the work PC

Edited by *Glenn*

Kelford cams are very good, my dealing with them recently has been very positive.

I went with a regrind of my existing cams with specifications to suit my specific setup to maximise my combonation of parts rather than just simply adding a "lumpy cam"

( this is where having the cam designed to work with Wayneys headers could work fantasticly well )

A full engine freshen up is the way to do it properly.

However you do it, going with some cylinder head work & some of wayneys nice headers does sound like it would wake up the old E30 quite well

i would say go for the cam , kelford make some good ones and yes to wayney's headers. while your there you can improve intake with trimming your intake gaskets and throtle body to correctly match your port sizes, angle cut your valves and if you want stroke it with a m52b28 crank.

e: cam not cams

Forget Kelford, I asked them recently and got this response:

Hi,No sorry havn't got these.

Regards,

Kevin Ban

Managing Director

Kelford Cams & Camshaft Shop

well that was a nice reply.

Sounds like you asked for an off the shelf part in a box,

if you look on their website fill out their design form and they can build you anything

but I do agree that wasn't particulary helpfully from the manager

Do you have a price tag on the above Glenn? Quite interested myself, now that my race car's motor is getting a bit tired.

Probably without the headwork though. Not sure I could bring myself to get headwork done on a m20 boat anchor :lol:

It doesn't have to be a massive job in doing head work... depending on the quality of the factory work, just removing the as cast surface of the ports can get a 4-8% increase (measured) in flow. You could do that at home no probs... Some 120/150 grit hard rolls for polishing and your sorted!

Improving things like seat cuts and grinding out the ports to make them much larger is where it gets hard/expensive. Probably the biggest improvement i've seen on most factory heads is the valve seat to port wall alignment - for some reason factory heads almost never get this right, there is always a small lip (in some cases not so small)...

Edited by DRTDVL

It's amazing what a simple head rebuild and camgrind will do for the performance of an M20. If you don't want to go overboard then maybe a 272 camgrind?

Kinda regretting not doing the 272 grind when I had my headwork done actually.

2 words - DO IT!

One of the best mods i've done by far. Everyone that i know of that has done it has nothing but good things to say!

Are you referring to the headers,cam or both?

^ I think he means the headers, whenever I talk to him he can't say enough good things about em.

Guest Ari Gold

Tulip the valves, run a 3 angle valve grind (the M20 heads are the weakpoint, they flow terribly), wayney headers, MAP sensor with standalone management. A nice agressive 2.5 without touching the bottom end.

ooops.... and a new dissy cap & rotor

I am liking this double standard...

And also, if you use the 2.8 crank, you have to shave the block so it will actually fit. I'm not the the benefits of having one over a 2.7

Are you referring to the headers,cam or both?

^ I think he means the headers, whenever I talk to him he can't say enough good things about em.

Yup what Nath said - headers are awesome!!

Yup what Nath said - headers are awesome!!

Ordered woo hoo.

Car currently in the shop for a little maintainence so will be talking to Gary there to get his opinion.

As much as I'd like too I dont want to get to carried away at this early stage so I'm thinking just some gentle head work particularly since the motor is nice & tight.

The 2.8 option will give me something to aspire to :rolleyes:

Keep the input coming guys-its immensely helpful-thanks.

Why not just leave the 2.8 crank in the M52 and put that in? As soon as you start rebuilding engines and doing headwork it gets real expensive real fast.

Why not just leave the 2.8 crank in the M52 and put that in? As soon as you start rebuilding engines and doing headwork it gets real expensive real fast.

agreed. M20 is not worth modding beyond an exhaust an intake with M50/2s so cheap these days

agreed - light mild headwork if you can DIY and stay 2.5, otherwise put an M52 in there, unless you really want to keep the m20.

If you want the M20 - go 3L. It's tough.

Decide a budget and a realistic goal and work back from there