Sign in to follow this  
Nu-Del

Help Needed In Palmy North

Hey guys

Ive gone and brought myself an E30 and am having a hard time getting the thing to run properly... It kinda runs on 5 cylinders half the time and no has all of a sudden gone and lost all the spark and its just confusing the hell out of me...

Its an 85 323i

I was running ok except for number 5, seemed to have spark and fuel but wasnt running... Someone suggested that cause it had been sitting for a long time maybe the rings in that cylinder were a bit iffy and to pour a wee bit of oil down the bore and that should seal them and help with compression did that and now I seem to have no spark at all :S

If anyone has some free time next week and is willing to come have a look, have a beer and shoot the sh*t for a bit any help would be wicked

I had a similar problem on my car and it turned out that the H.T lead was loose in the spark plug socket, if you get what i mean?

Yea was hoping that was the issue so tried another lead off something else and that didnt help... I am wondering if maybe the lead from the coil to the dizzy is a bit iffy maybe? but would need to borrow another one off someone to try it out

Check your dizzy cap. :D I think this might be the first time we've had an actual query when that's been the correct piece of advice!

Hey Dave, I am in Palmy and can pop round and give you some help next week if you still need, I am tied up all week-end, but can do most nights next week?

I have a 323i engine sitting in the shed so I can pull the electrics off that to swap things around to try and find the problem if that helps?

What condition are the dizzy cap and rotor in?

They look ok but ya never just know do ya... And I dont fancy forking out the about $120 for a new dizzy cap only to find out theres something major wrong with it and really it needs a new engine

Check your dizzy cap. :D I think this might be the first time we've had an actual query when that's been the correct piece of advice!

Who knows lol Stranger things have been know to happen

Hey Dave, I am in Palmy and can pop round and give you some help next week if you still need, I am tied up all week-end, but can do most nights next week?

I have a 323i engine sitting in the shed so I can pull the electrics off that to swap things around to try and find the problem if that helps?

Any time next week would be wicked Im just about to take off back down to welly for the weekend... Flick me a PM and Ill give you a text/call early next week :)

After some playing last night and help from Jon... We had it running again on 5 then it died all of a sudden and wouldnt start again... We tried different plugs, dizzy cap and rotor

If flooded to the point at one point where fuel was dripping out the afm :S

Have you tried to start it up again? Any luck?

So weird it started and ran for a bit first try and then didn't even want to know five minutes later.

Tried / changed all the following:

- Dizzy cap (for a definately good one)

- spark plugs

- coil lead

- rotor arm (again for def good one)

- adjusting the timing on the dizzy

Checked spark, and loads of fuel. Possibly flooding, but cleared and left it for ages - still no go. Not even a cough or a splutter.

Got me flummaxed!

Pull the plugs out & check. If wet - dry or replace.

When they flood - cranking while not firing will just compound the problem - fuel still delivering but not burning.

Sometimes will not start without removing plugs. Have seen this a zillion times

If flooded - could be a fuel pressure regulator or ECU temp sender issue.

Re not running on No 5 - have you compression tested? Have you confirmed good spark at plug? Is the injector working?

Sounds like bad coil to me for the start/no start

The no fire on 5 - check plug firing (lay down on good earth surface and turn over

- check injector (while plug is out turn over engine and see what spits out plug hole)

- compression check while plug is out

- get an E36

After ignoring it for xmas and new years... have played with it a bit again and it seems to be over fueling so badly there is unburnt fuel coming out both the inlet and exhaust... Can get it to run after cleaning the plugs and then it just over fuels and fouls the plugs and floods.

My thinking is a faulty AFM or Fuel pressure reg?

When I diddn't connect my FPR properly it was overfueling and wouldn't start half the time.

Well now Im confused... Changed the oil with some waste oil we had laying around and chucked yet another set of plugs in it... And it seems to be firing and starting happily now

Am going to leave it over night and then pull the plugs and see if any of them are wet... I can only think one of the injectors is dripping a little and after sitting for as long as it did it fulled the crank case with petrol rather then oil

Sounds like droopy injectors although if it's still over fueling whilst running it could well be the AFM?

Well after the oil change all was well... Left it a few days and the oil is full of fuel again... Have another quirk that needs fixing as well... Ran the part numbers off the injectors... 5 155cc injectors... 1 200cc injector... might explain a bit so am tracking down some replacement injectors atm