Sign in to follow this  
|ncary

E30 M20 Engine Mount

I somehow seemed to have snapped one of these arms in half, been noticing a creeeking the passt week and now it's about to completely sheer.. The left one when looking forward.

Need it before the Summer megacar cruise tonight, so people in chch, if you have a M20 block doing f**k all I'll happily take the mounting arm off you.

THANKS

Look at this! Christ these AKG 75D engine mount bushings are doing more harm than good..

post-1573-1260228025.jpg

Need it within 2 hours unfortunately. If I don't get one today I'll keep that in mind..

Need it within 2 hours unfortunately. If I don't get one today I'll keep that in mind..

Allcars have 2 e30s there pretty sure they still had the engines in them.

Have Eurorec got one? They've always got a selection of E30's in there.

Wrecker was going to be the last option. Not doubt they want 1000 dollars for something they have a billion of.

Wrecker was going to be the last option. Not doubt they want 1000 dollars for something they have a billion of.

Try allcars they do all there parts for under $50

Whats the advantage of useing urethane engine mounts?

I had them in my e30,

They hold the engine down way better (Barely tilts when revving, the whole car kinda moves with it instead). Don't sag or tear like the rubber mounts do either.

Urethane is for softies. Real men use Delrin.

I've just changed rear brake pads and done a rish assessment on the crack (handbrake on and try to drive) to see how much the engine moves. It should be ok if I take it easy with smooth gear changes tonight at the cruise. Still wanting a mount arm though, cheaper the better at this stage. (read: 10 bucks or less ha)

Eurorec are OTT with prices! goto All cars and try them first.

I recently brought the following from Eurorec: Clutch pedal rubber (2nd hand), Two rear disc retainer screws(second hand and half rusty) and a clutch resivour cap (brand new) cost like $30 or something criminal. They must have had HEAPS of pedal rubbers and screws, I was expecting $15-$20 tops...maybe I live in a dream world :rolleyes: ,

Glad i've brought most of my stuff off brent or mike and had it posted down here.

Have a welder? Tack it up for the cruise then replace ASAP. Or just drive to the nearest mechanic and have him weld a bead across, just for added support?

I recently brought the following from Eurorec: Clutch pedal rubber (2nd hand), Two rear disc retainer screws(second hand and half rusty) and a clutch resivour cap (brand new) cost like $30 or something criminal. They must have had HEAPS of pedal rubbers and screws, I was expecting $15-$20 tops...maybe I live in a dream world :rolleyes: ,

Glad i've brought most of my stuff off brent or mike and had it posted down here.

Don't worry i'm at the point where if it's less than $200 it seams cheap

Urethane is for softies. Real men use Delrin.

Lol, and look where that got ya.

Nearly All of my E30 Parts came from auckland including 2 gearboxs front struts rear arms and all manor of various pieces.

this was because Eurorec charged a lot and were not very willing to deal

Henry you need to look into some cromoly steel Mounting arms unless you are to consider them a regular replacement item like a FL steering rack ...... <_<

Looks like the vibrations from the Delrin caused the 4 bolts holding the mounting arms to the block to back out and cause the crack. Will be locktited in when I get a new one. Same thing happened to my oil cooler lines and coolant gauge in the dash from the vibs.

sucks, but now I know how to deal with it.

Tightened the remaining 2 bolts on the arm and no more creeks for the cruise :D

Hello,

I dont think leaving that is a good idea. I have an m20b20 sitting in the garage $25 for the mount.

Will it just happen again if you dont fix the problem? I dont see the need for changing from rubber can someone give some pros and cons to switching to Urethane or Delrin.

Cheers.

Edited by tcbaurpower

Heaps of people use solid engine mounts, I have never seen anyone have problems though. You should be using spring washers on the bolts anyways to prevent them from backing out.

Read page 1, someone already asked and got the answer to why you would want solid mounts.

Looks like the vibrations from the Delrin caused the 4 bolts holding the mounting arms to the block to back out and cause the crack

Looks like the vibrations from the Delrin caused the 4 bolts holding the mounting arms to the block to back out and cause the crack

tc, Wasn't directly the mounts. The bolts backed out and the resulting gap between the arm and block caused the cracks. Solid engine mounts are still very worth it. Just have to locktite some key bolts, better than spring washers really. I'm happy to be the test dummy for Bimmersport.

New mount will get here tomorrow for 15 dollars inc courier thanks to Jono51 from Welly :)

Pros for Solid mounts are: Easier to change gears as the box doesn't roll with the engine and cause misalignment with your muscle memory, Much crisper 'launches' and shifts between gears, motor doesn't waste torque on twisting the engine on the softer mounts. Dash board vibrations are full raze.

Cons: Oil cooler lines fall out of block and bolts holding on engine mount arm. And resonant frequency of the dashboard is sometimes hard to talk over hahaha