Sign in to follow this  
iSO

Should i "take a puff" and smoke my headlights or not?

I need someones help. should i smake my headlights on my E30 or keep them the way they are? theyre aftermarket. I currently have angel eyes in at the moment.

would smoking them ruin my look i have going? and will it mess up my lights seeing as they arent stock and is it legal? i need all these opinions please!!!

I wouldn't bother trying to smoke those angel eyes. The way us standard e30 light guys do it is buy blacking out the shiney reflector in the light housing on low beam lights (light doesn't reflect of it so it doesn't effect light output in anyway) and you add black crosshairs into the high beam lights to make the reflector appear black. Light actually needs to bounce off the reflector off the high beam so blacking out the shiney surface will reduce light output and wouldn't be legal that way.

I did just my low beam lights anyway, Pretty easy.

post-2139-1260255086.jpg

it looks pretty easy. i reckon i could do it myself. i still have the stock ones in a box.

It's easy cos I've done it.

You need to remove the light lens by baking the light in the oven then lifting the lens off carefully. Takes Alot of patience.

Then once that's off you take the reflector piece out, spray it black, place it back in and done.

Some people have done the same on their high beams but it isn't a good idea... You need the crosshairs for it to be done properly.

It's easy cos I've done it.

You need to remove the light lens by baking the light in the oven then lifting the lens off carefully. Takes Alot of patience.

Then once that's off you take the reflector piece out, spray it black, place it back in and done.

Some people have done the same on their high beams but it isn't a good idea... You need the crosshairs for it to be done properly.

what temp and how long usually?

^ Put the headlight in an oven on 140deg on bake for 7-8min to melt the glue and you can cut the lens off with a stanley knife. Make sure you use urethane adhesive to stick it back together so it won't leak and cause moisture in your headlights = failed wof.

painted styles, baked in oven and sprayed on inside not the outter glass. no idea if it will pass a wof im on an exempt reg

low beams double as high beams and low beams with a double filament bulb. and the high beams are now low beams

post-271-1260259585.jpg

Edited by 323e30

Proper way here.

Do it, but do it right i.e. crosshair the high beam, don't paint the reflector or lens.

You have angel eyes on an E30??

Post up a picture of your lights so we can have a…look. Being after market they will be different in design.

Proper way here.

Do it, but do it right i.e. crosshair the high beam, don't paint the reflector or lens.

very very cool im going to try this over xmas

If anyone manages to make some decent crosshairs for the highbeams I'd be keen.

Only reason I didn't do my highbeams is because I don't have anything to make crosshairs with. Would prefer metal ones or something. Some guy used to sell sets on e30tech, laser cut using the Hella cutout templates so perfect fit.

If anyone manages to make some decent crosshairs for the highbeams I'd be keen.

Only reason I didn't do my highbeams is because I don't have anything to make crosshairs with. Would prefer metal ones or something. Some guy used to sell sets on e30tech, laser cut using the Hella cutout templates so perfect fit.

the link that quailboy put up has the pattern i have lazer cuters across the road from me so im sused it will only cost me say $20 to cut them + paint and sealant.

As most of you know, I blacked out my low & high beams. But driving at night, flick on the highs & it does still light up like it should - street signs brighten up way in the distance.

Still prefer to do mine properly. Waste of time if you end up failing WOF for it. And no doubt your light output would be decreased.

yeah good point, you might not want to put angel eyes in the oven

I would, 240 fan bake and serve them up with some rice <_<

Still prefer to do mine properly. Waste of time if you end up failing WOF for it. And no doubt your light output would be decreased.

+1 do it once do it right=no problems later

Yeah, if someone can get some laser cut I could be keen for four. There could be a little profit in it for someone who can do it.

I tried to make some at school a couple years ago but failed.

I would, 240 fan bake and serve them up with some rice <_<

Agreed