Sign in to follow this  
pureboiracer

black or red lights?

Hey guys, i have a e30 1990, i have had it painted black, tinted, some black 16s coming from zeneti, blacked kindney grille.

I am trying to decide if black tail lights or red tail lights will look better?

Anyone?

Red. Too much black and the cars lines get lost and it just looks like one big black mass.

Red. Too much black and the cars lines get lost and it just looks like one big black mass.

red also, ive tryed black lights and it looked like crap.

Red 3 Black 1

It looks good on black cars and on white cars imho, especially with a factory spoiler or MT1 or 2

Edit: whichever you chose (which looks like its going to be red!) paint them on the inside of the lens, not the outside. The can told me to spray it on the outside even though my judgement told me not to, and i wish id followed my head. Havent got around to redoing them yet

Edited by ethrty320

Black, do the side and front indicators too it looks way better. you can always try score a second set of tails and have 1red 1black n swap around :)

Black, do the side and front indicators too it looks way better. you can always try score a second set of tails and have 1red 1black n swap around :)

Not to mention the really anal WOF places will ping you for it because they cant be assed walking the 200m back or whatever the distance is to see if they are visible. it just saves the hassle

Its illegal to spay tint your lights (dont ask why they sell it if its illegal, its just like half the other sh*t they sell).

I reckon go for red, looks good & when the indicator flashes it still orange (have attached photo below of mine).

Also, with spray tint, it takes a few tries to get good at it, sometimes will be too thick sometimes will be too thin & its a major mission to clean the spray off.

IF you really want blacked tails then get aftermarket lights (on Trademe, 3 different types for $295 a pair) cant complain, cheaper than a fine or a pink sticker cos they are fully Legal!

post-4588-1261317660.jpg

post-4588-1261317767.jpg

Edited by Shady

Its illegal to spay tint your lights (dont ask why they sell it if its illegal, its just like half the other sh*t they sell).

I reckon go for red, looks good & when the indicator flashes it still orange (have attached photo below of mine).

Also, with spray tint, it takes a few tries to get good at it, sometimes will be too thick sometimes will be too thin & its a major mission to clean the spray off.

IF you really want blacked tails then get aftermarket lights (on Trademe, 3 different types for $295 a pair) cant complain, cheaper than a fine or a pink sticker cos they are fully Legal!

if you use the stuff from Repcos it doesnt efect the colour of the lights. My indicators still flash yellow and as bright as they always are, and the tails, brake lights and reverse lights are all the correct colours too

My red tails flash red = badass. Rear indicators can be amber or red, so that's fine for WOF.

Shady - the reason they sell it when it's illegal is:

1/ It's not designed for that purpose - it's for tinting glass. Artists use it, we've just adapted it.

2/ It's not up to them to decide whether you should or shouldn't use it. The car you may want to modify may not be going on the road so doesn't have to be legal. It'd be like saying you can't buy 3" exhaust tubing as it's unlikely that you'll be making a legal-sounding exhaust with it.

Yeah, thats like alot of stuff sold in the shops, but most have the "not for road use" label on it :lol:

And my tails still have a slight orange glow at night when they flash and I reckon it looks mint anyways.

But Im all for red tails or proper smoked tails (as per TM) :)