Sign in to follow this  
Nobimmer

TMS J-Stock vs Ground Control

E30 325i

I remember reading a really decent article on R3V I think comparing the two but can't find it anywhere.

Which of the two are better for a dedicated track/hillclimb car? Prices seem to be fairly similar but have been told by people that the TMS kit seems to be the go.

Will be getting the order away hopefully in feb next year so any help would be mint.

Cheers

Ashkan

Andrew uses the J stock kit. Seems to like it.

Not adjustable shocks, if that's your thing.

E30 325i

I remember reading a really decent article on R3V I think comparing the two but can't find it anywhere.

Which of the two are better for a dedicated track/hillclimb car? Prices seem to be fairly similar but have been told by people that the TMS kit seems to be the go.

Will be getting the order away hopefully in feb next year so any help would be mint.

Cheers

Ashkan

I think "Andrew" got the TMS J-Stock kit for his E30 years ago.

It is a set of shocks, springs & swaybars for a specific race class in the US, so should be good for a dedicated E30 track car.

The "Ground Control" you refer to is the "coil over kit + shocks" I presume??

This relies on you knowing how you want the car to handle, the type of events it needs to be suited for, and how to adjust / tune the set up.

If you aren't buying the pre-modified shock tubes with them, it is likely you will need to do some custom work, although they may come with parts to "make do".

Yeah, Andrew was the one who told me about them.

Not too fussed about adjustable height. And really don't want to be setting stuff up all the time. I don't know why but I hate that sort of stuff. Just want to drive the damn thing!

Are the reinforcement tabs etc really necassary? Seem to be pretty expensive considering what they are/how easy they would be to make.

Not too fussed about adjustable height. And really don't want to be setting stuff up all the time. I don't know why but I hate that sort of stuff. Just want to drive the damn thing!

Wise man.

Wise man.

x2

If you have the equipment/skilz to do your own reinforcement tabs etc....

Then DIY it!!

Yeah they look really basic!

Cheers for the help fellas

I have the Turner J Stock set up in my car, seems OK although ride height is not as low as I would like for circuit work, good for hillclimbs, though.

You will want the strengthening tabs, for both the rear sway mounts (mine folded flat first day out without the tabs in place) and for the front cross member. Easy enough to make, if you have the pattern and know a friendly engineer.

So, not the ultimate circuit suspension but pretty good base set up. I think the Ground Control top strut mounts are probably the best around, although the new Irelland Engineeruing ones may be OK too.

Good luck!

The j-stock solution is more of a turn key one with the shocks already shortened etc etc . It works awesome on the track .. see Andy's orange e30 in the corners. @ 4:32 onwards (running first gen J-Stock suspension)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isXIONudIM0

Ground control you will need to modify your front struts but cutting the OE spring cup off and welding on the seating ring for the new adjustable perch. (Not a big problem) You have to make sure you get the right shock/insert width for your strut tube.

It's pay off is you can adjust your ride height and still keep spring travel (among some of the best travel length around for the $$$.. something lacking from a lot of the other coil over solutions. (Mated with the correct up rated sway bar)

People forget this part when they purchase suspension and is a lot of reason you see race cars lifting the front wheel. On higher powered cars this is a problem when in the chicanes under acceleration because essentially the tire in the air has more time to come down for contact with ground for when you attack the opposite corner. Thus un settling the car and increasing the chance of oversteer out of the corner.

I run a Ground Control setup in mine (koni yellows and 550fr/rr700 pound eibach springs) sorry no vids of my racing yet :)

So in the long run, the GC kit is going to pay off?

Welding the struts up shouldn't be a problem, I have a friend that does that sort of thing.

Josh- if your car is still at Ray's would you mind me popping over and having a gawk next time your up there? I'm ten mins away so wouldn't be too much of a mish from here.

Edit:Gumbi double post

Edited by Indecorous