Sign in to follow this  
OLLIE

Electrical noise and hum through stereo

So I've installed my tom tom iphone car kit which charges the phone and also has audio to the car stereo.

It's not usable due to the whining noise that comes through the stereo.

I understand that it is a ground loop problem that can easily be eliminated by putting a noise suppression device or ground loop noise isolator on the audio cable ...

Can anyone suggest where I can get one locally? something like - this

help is appreciated

So I've installed my tom tom iphone car kit which charges the phone and also has audio to the car stereo.

It's not usable due to the whining noise that comes through the stereo.

I understand that it is a ground loop problem that can easily be eliminated by putting a noise suppression device or ground loop noise isolator on the audio cable ...

Can anyone suggest where I can get one locally? something like - this

help is appreciated

Firstly: have all phone carkit grounds going to the same place as the stereo

Even use the ground stud on the stereo for the ground - this helps prevent the ground loop in the first place

Then if you still have alternator whine, a check it is a ground loop by just connecting the positive (and not shield) of the audio cable.

If you still have whine, add the isolator (d*ck Smith, Jaycar, Radio Shack)

And if the whine is still present after adding the isolator, check the passenger seat :-)

And if the whine is still present after adding the isolator, check the passenger seat :-)

Classic !!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

also if rca (or line audio) cables are run beisde main power feed cables that can cause that noise

Cheers Jochen

When checking it is still a ground loop by connecting the positive of the audio, what am i looking for?

also if rca (or line audio) cables are run beisde main power feed cables that can cause that noise

True but thats usually only on really high preformance systems. im runing 1950W worth of amplification on full tit when i want to and it doesnt do that.

Cheers Jochen

When checking it is still a ground loop by connecting the positive of the audio, what am i looking for?

A resistance of virtually zero