Sign in to follow this  
Vent

Couple of niggly problems.. :/

Hi guys..

I dont expect anyone to be able to give an answer to these problems, based on a text description.. but here goes anyways..

Every now and then, happened twice since i bought my car on 30th December, it runs rough.. as if on 5 cylinders.. and I get a strange shaking/vibration sensation all over the car. I contacted the previous owner, and he said it was doing that when he first bought the car himself, and fixed the problem by replacing the exhaust gasket ... ??? which sounds very odd... but ok.. Just today, i started the car, was fine, drove it 10 mins, was fine all the way. Turned car off.. came back 5 mins later, started car, right off the bat it was running rough, as described above. When revs get over 4k, the noise/vibrations go away, and it becomes smooth again.. Revs fall under 4k, roughness comes back.. Car stayed this way all the way for the 10 mins drive home. No idea what it is, am seeking opinions prior to taking car to mechanics to be looked at.

Second problem is a knocking noise when turning right hand corners. If i turn left, it "resets" the noise, next right hand corner, I get a knocking/thumping sound. If i turn 2 right hand corners in a row, the noise only sounds the first time.. As posted before, everything in the boot is secure, and it sounds like its coming from under the car. Have checked exhaust, and thats not the source of the problem.. Have checked all wheel nuts, secure and tight. Checked suspension, doesnt seem to be any problems there, but i am leaning towards a worn shock... shrug.

Also, does anyone from Wellington have a really great repairer that they go to for work? someone who enjoys working on bimmers, and someone who takes great pride in their work? Would love any suggestions please...

I would really love to get these problems sorted out before the megameet, as i wouldnt be too comfortable driving the 400km or so if its going to be running rough, or a risk that something could break worse on the trip up there.

Cheers!

Edited by Vent

I had the same problem as your first one, I think. I discovered it when at idle it sounded as though it had a hot cam in it, it had a chugging nosie, like it was running on 5 cylinders. It turned out to be a intake manifold gasket, which cost around $360 to fix.

If you stick your head near it, you should be able to hear a hissing noise, my f**ked gasket was at the back end of the engine.

As for service, I take mine to Antonnel and Park off Webb street, the street opposite Auto bodies, can't remember the name. They do all sorts of European cars, but mostly bimmers and mercs from what I've seen. My mums friend also takes their 500SL Benz there too :mosh:

If you stick your head near it, you should be able to hear a hissing noise, my f**ked gasket was at the back end of the engine.

when doing this, use a piece of rubber hose, use it as a stethoscope....

works a treat

:thumb:

Page european home st off kent terrace near nissan place.The place is full of older bimmers,they know their stuff but they aint cheap.

Page european home st off kent terrace near nissan place.The place is full of older bimmers,they know their stuff but they aint cheap.

However with places like that they end up cheaper (even though their hourly rate may seem high). This is because they can diagnose the problems more quickly, and then know exactly what to do to fix it.

Therefore they do a more efficient job, with a smaller margin for error, and therefore it will be cheaper than a backyard mechanic who guesses at the problem and takes a lot longer to fix it.

Cheers

one wheel bearing is shot??

I wouldnt know, never experienced that before..

Will take note, and suggest to the Mr Fixitman that I decide to take the car to.. :)

Wagon, its left rear...

Dan, we should meet and have a go over, sounds like standard stuff.

The rough engine in the lower rev band sounds like too much air in the intake, as Chris said, but being intermittant you could simply have a split hose so we can simply check your intake for it and it may save you $$$

I had the exact same knocking noise you describe, it stopped after I replaced my springs shocks and bushes. It's definately not a CV joint as that's a different sound. My guess was a worn shock, as someone else said, as it only makes a second thump after it's rebounded.

I'm away this weekend however we could meet wednesday or thursday night for a beer and chat?

E: I also know of a couple of places for repairs, different places for different jobs though so we can talk about it later.

Edited by ///Carl

Lovely, thank you very much for that Carl..

Thursday would suit me wondefully.. shall we pencil in?

Would appreciate a bit of a bimmer lesson from an experienced owner, so i will certainly jump at this opportunity!

Lovely, thank you very much for that Carl..

Thursday would suit me wondefully.. shall we pencil in?

Would appreciate a bit of a bimmer lesson from an experienced owner, so i will certainly jump at this opportunity!

hahaha, i'm no expert, but will gladly help where I can and elevate the serious stuff to the more experienced people, you can only learn through experience :)

Right couple of things.....

Firstly Im taking mine into Page European this week to have a couple of niggles taken care of. I could probably do them myself, but the combination of no tools and no time mean Im a little stuck if I want to get a WOF !

My boss recommended them as she knows the two guys running it, the place is packed FULL of bimmers (mostly e34's the other day) so thats promising.

Ill let you know how I find them. Cant be any worse than Shelleys anyway.

Secondly, do I sense a mini-meet on Thursday with the odd beer thrown in ? I know feck all about e30's but weve all said we should meet for a beer, maybe Vent's problems and Carl's offer of help is just what we need to have a jar or two.

You never know you might learn something :mosh:

Let me know the time and place guys and Ill pop along.

Cheers

Martyn

Ill let you know how I find them. Cant be any worse than Shelleys anyway.

---

Secondly, do I sense a mini-meet on Thursday with the odd beer thrown in ? I know feck all about e30's but weve all said we should meet for a beer, maybe Vent's problems and Carl's offer of help is just what we need to have a jar or two.

Thanks for that, would appreciate knowing good repairers around town...

If we do Thursday - one of the better days for me this week - it would have to be right after work, as I need to be in Newtown about 7.30-8pmish..

so could say 5.30-6pm..

Id be keen to just grab a dozen or something on the cheap, and drink a few while we stand around and chat about various things.. as opposed to going somewhere official and paying someone way too much for a handle.. i mean, we cant really look and talk E30s while sitting inside a bar :)

Any thoughts?

Dan, Martynn, thursday's good for a beer after work.

I'll PM you guys my email.

Sweet, email sent.

Any other Wellingtonians want to join us ?

I dont intend to make it a big night, just hang around for an hour or two see what Carl can do to Dan's car and have a chat in the sun.....hopefully.

cv if its in the front?

wtf !!!!!???????

since when were there cv's in the front of a rear wheel drive?

the knocking from the left rear is either the wheel bearing or more likely one of the bushes, you can test your shocks simply by pushing down on the car hard and letting go if it pings up and stays up the shock is generally fine, if it wallows up and down a bit its f**ked.

the running rough business does sound like an intake problem. maybe your afm is sticking or a hose is split bla bla bla.

cv's in the front <_<

I dont intend to make it a big night, just hang around for an hour or two

Precisely what I had in mind!

For some strange reason, i have the little park/carpark halfway up Ohiro road in mind.. altho, its not a paved surface, so not nice to lie down on, if necessary..

Perhaps around one of the bays, Oriental, or if we want a bit of a drive, maybe scorching?

Failing that, theres always plenty of car parks out of the way, such as at the top of the Wellington Show buildings.. whatever suits most people i guess.. :)

the knocking from the left rear is either the wheel bearing or more likely one of the bushes, you can test your shocks simply by pushing down on the car hard and letting go if it pings up and stays up the shock is generally fine, if it wallows up and down a bit its f**ked.

Thought of this, and tried the experiment, but shocks "seem" to react as they should... both sides of car bounce back and stay up, so by process of elimination, a wheel bearing is sounding more likely..

Is there a way you can tell? Ie, remove wheel, see f**ked wheel bearing, or is it one of those things that you just know is f**ked if you hear a certain noise, and it just gets replaced?

Wheel bearings you can check yourself by jacking up the car and playing with the wheel listening for rough sound or sideways movement. That's what the WOF guys do when warrenting a car.

Last warrant they said I needed a new bearing when all it needed was a little grease :)

whatever you guys decide i wouldnt mind joining ya.....but a carpark??????We wont actually be doing any work will we,what about that pub on thorndon quay,pretty cebtral for all of us .....this thursday????

I'll PM you Paul to get you in on the group email. We won't be doing anything on the cars bar me showing Dan what I know to check for on the air intake system and the regular things to be careful of when you own an E30 :)

Im still keen to get some beers and just park around the bays somewhere.. that is of course, if its sunny...

Hey, i work at the metservice, let me check the forecast... not that its every right tho.. :blink:

Wellington

Today: Fine with southerlies from about noon. Max 21 C.

Wednesday: Fine. Southerlies 30 km/h. Min 14 C. Max 19 C.

Thursday: Fine. Northeasterlies. Min 13 C. Max 24 C.

Looking good...

This thread is OT so i've started a meetings thread regarding our impromptue meeting :D

E: Just to clarify something since WAGON made the comment, the CV joints are located on the rear axles encased in rubber (CV boots obviously) where the axles join the diff stubs right???

Edited by ///Carl