Sign in to follow this  
Vent

Couple of niggly problems.. :/

This thread is OT so i've started a meetings thread regarding our impromptue meeting :D

good. was almost a wrath session.

back on topic now lads

Ohh yeah, sorry but forgot to mention on the problem that we both have/had could be anything from the air box onwards, like Carl said. Just my luck to get the most expensive fix, hopefully yours is a bit easier on the wallet.

As for your second problem, my old E30 manual had a shunting from the back (we thought it was the diff) during traffic speeds, depending on how I used the clutch (like in/out with the clutch in 2nd gear at speeds up to 10-15kmh). Well, it turned out it was an engine mount, which was supposedly sending movement down the drivetrain :unsure:

Not too sure if this would apply to your car, cos isn't it an auto?

For some strange reason, i have the little park/carpark halfway up Ohiro road in mind.. altho, its not a paved surface, so not nice to lie down on, if necessary..

:mosh: Thats my mates and mine favourite donut spot. I'm not looking foward to the day they pave that place.

Engine mount you say??? Could be gearbox mounts, when I did my conversion I tried to use the two best mounts from the 4 I had but they were all shot from something or other...common but not the cause of the thump IMHO

Dunno aye, just saying what happened with my old E30. The new owner said that the thumping went away after that mount was replaced, but the thumping only happened in slow traffic, not cornering or anything. Could be worth a look for troubleshooting anyway.

Page European is the go!

to check wheel bearings jack up your car and check for movement by pulling top and bottom of wheel ... top then bottom (not side and side)

too much movement and its buggered

Edited by 325GRANT

Page European sorted me out...

Knocking noise was my rear muffler being mounted too far towards the front of the car, and thus bumping and grinding on the left rear shock.. got my rear muffler moved back 2 inches for $25... hehe goooo pit stop! smile.gif stupid previous owner smile.gif

Rough running im just gonna have to put up with for now... might have a go with Carl, at cleaning the ICV at megameet...

Vijay from Page also found my right engine mount was half worn, about to drop, so i got that replaced nice and cheap too... :)

All good to go!

Yeah, I was wondering, would worn engine and/or g/box mounts add vibrations to the car when accelerating or cruising??? Anyone know what worn mounts do???

Yeah, I was wondering, would worn engine and/or g/box mounts add vibrations to the car when accelerating or cruising??? Anyone know what worn mounts do???

When I collapsed my engine mounts, I noticed you could feel the engine move on the mounts when you were idling and stationary (almost like in a big old V8), this has gone now that I have replaced my engine mounts(2 weeks ago).

I never noticed it during acceleration or just cruising, only when stationary at idle (doesn't mean it wasn't there though - I just never noticed).

Cheers

Yeah both my mounts were totaly shawn off. Its a horible roughness, that i wouldn't liken to a v8 at all?

after last drags, tims mounts were f**ked, ended up causing radiator hose to hit fan and leak...he was a lucky boy as "draining" the radiator next day, next to nothing came out

I had two engine mounts go on the E36 afte an accident and i was wondering what the noise was ... so i braked hard to test if things still went alright....

The next day i went to mechanics they said i was damn lucky that my engine didn't fall out ... they said all the drive trains weren't matching or something like that .. and i was like sh*t .... hahah .. :lol:

Knocking noise was my rear muffler being mounted too far towards the front of the car, and thus bumping and grinding on the left rear shock.. got my rear muffler moved back 2 inches for $25... hehe goooo pit stop! smile.gif stupid previous owner smile.gif

Muffler moved back, knocking noise still there.. :(

Carl and I think its the left rear shock...

Oh well, guess ill just have to save for a set of nice bilsteins and some low springs :) bummer..

:)

try the top shock mount. If you bounce the car up and down and hold the shock, takes two people, you will feel it moving and the bumb if it's knackered.

:mellow:

Edited by Hartage

IMHO, the rough engine problem was due to the car needing a serious blowout, being that it's an auto and has probably never had the engine rev'd until you bought it.

Going up the massive hill past Mangaweka, doing 150kph uphill, Dan and Grant gave their engines a nice workout and as they descended huge plumes of dirty dark brown smoke blew out the back for a couple of seconds out of both of their cars.

Seems to have fixed the problem yes?

Funnily enough, my car IS running alot better (more pull, smoother) since that blowout of smoke... I was sticking right behind Grant on the drive back down south too, heh, he would pull out to pass, look in his rear view mirror, and see a nasty looking 325i right up his ass... Admittedly tho, i was reading the road ahead, and jumping the acceleration 1-2 seconds before Grant took off, therefore giving me that extra boost.. heh :)

Carl, the rough running thing is very intermittent... so will have to wait a week to see if its fixed it.. but im fairly convinced youre right..

As for the annoying knocking noise... Thats mysteriously gone, just as it mysteriously arrived... Maybe it was just something not seated properly, and the nice long cruise whacked everything back into place.. .shrug, the noise is gone, and im very very happy...

Altho, i got the "brake pads need replacing" light come on, on the drive home.. the flickering of the light was a tad worrying to start with, but a phone call to Carl fixed my concerned right up.. Strangely tho, the light hasnt come on again since ive been home?.. oh well, will book it in for a free brake inspection at pitstop...

When i bought the car, the previous owner made noises about replacing all 4 discs and pads just a couple of weeks prior... im beginning to doubt the legitimacy of his other claims on his "for sale" sheet... for instance, he said he had the exhaust gasket replaced just a few weeks before sale too.. when i rang him about something else, and got him to check his records for the exhaust gasket replacement, he admitted it was replaced in September 2003... oh well.. ive got the car now, and ive got its problems.. i do have the cash/income to get things fixed, so hopefully ill fix the things once, and then ill have a mint car :)