Sign in to follow this  
antil33t

Broken Bridge.

When I was adjusting the tappets the other night, I found this a broken rocker shaft bridge? (is that what it's called?)

Looks like it was broken off when the head was rebuilt... Would've been nice to know about it tbh. Anyone know if this is repairable?

post-4315-1262841766.jpg

Hopefully this isn't a frequently asked question.

Thats out of it man, Never seen that happen to an m20 head before. I was going to say, I hope you found that chunk / debris and no damage... But if it was before the head was put on then wow.

Yeah, there was no debris in the head at all. I assume it was broken when the engine was being reassembled.

I'm taking the car into the Mechanic to have the tappets adjusted... hopefully that bolt is able to hold the rocker-shaft down.. and I'll pluck his brains on how to fix it...,

Edited by antil33t

I'm gonna email the dude that sold me this motor, and ask him, how the hell he did it.

Its usually caused when the cambelt breaks or the idiot who dissasembled by knocking out the rocker shafts.

I've seen it heaps of times. The bolt he's put in it will now also restrict oil flow inside the rocker shaft

The engine isn't in too bader shape like this? (will it last for a while) or should I be replacing it ASAP?

Sorry....my string guage isn't working :D

String gauge eh.

Ahh well, I hope it doesn't blow up :P

I'd also be worried about what else has been butchered that you can't see after seeing what they did to the head

I'd also be worried about what else has been butchered that you can't see after seeing what they did to the head

Yeah, I'm going to email this guy.... and ask him how the hell he managed to break it.. Other than that though it runs fine, Compression tests were pretty good.. all about even.

Very annoying, I really can't be bothered replacing the engine again. This just needs to last a while...

Yeah, I'm going to email this guy.... and ask him how the hell he managed to break it..

Is he a member ??

Is he a member ??

Nope, I wouldn't think so.

He was selling it on trademe, we ended up ringing him, he sounded legit. Is a Diesel Mechanic. Said that he had bought a second hand head, and rebuilt it with new parts (looks clean ect) so it's got a new gasket, cambelt ect.

Sounded like a good deal, grabbed it and here we are now.

I'd be wanting my money back

Would be nice,

Unfortunately he lives in Wellington. - And It leaves me without a car... Again.

Edited by antil33t

I have a spare B20 head. And I'm coming down to Dunedin on the 15th. PM me.

I'd be curious to see what the bottem end looks like, If it was this motor that had the cambelt snap , if it was the cambelt that broke it. Damage to the tops of pistons etc.

If it were me, I'd probably live with it. It's not like you race, or put this motor through it's paces.

I have a spare B20 head. And I'm coming down to Dunedin on the 15th. PM me.

It's a B25 Unfortunately, Cheers though!

Edited by antil33t

I'd be curious to see what the bottem end looks like, If it was this motor that had the cambelt snap , if it was the cambelt that broke it. Damage to the tops of pistons etc.

If it were me, I'd probably live with it. It's not like you race, or put this motor through it's paces.

Yeah, that's true.. I give it the odd boot.. but who doesn't?

That looks like the head off my parts 325i. I sold it to a guy not far from me about 8 months ago knowing full well about the head being like that and he said he wanted it for parts anyway. Looks like youve got it now though :(

far out that is shocking, ring the guy up mate tell him you are not happy. that is really dodge

That looks like the head off my parts 325i. I sold it to a guy not far from me about 8 months ago knowing full well about the head being like that and he said he wanted it for parts anyway. Looks like youve got it now though :(

Do you rember the guys name?

I'm having some pretty sh*t luck atm... got a wisdom tooth coming in... Just been put on antibiotics... :(

Edited by antil33t

Do you rember the guys name?

I'm having some pretty sh*t luck atm... got a wisdom tooth coming in... Just been put on antibiotics... :(

Went through my archived Emails yes i have his name will tell you on MSN later

Ahh well, I've decided that I'll try and get another head.

Can I get a blank head with nothing in it? and swap in my valvetrain... the rockers I have are apparently (and look) new.

Just got to find a head is all :angry:

And yeah, I realise this will require a new gasket, cambelt, head studs ect.

Edited by antil33t