Sign in to follow this  
APT

Chiptuning Chips

Yeah the m20b25 makes 170 odd.. m50b25 makes 191hp.

Someone should try and see if it works?

Wouldn't be keen for that amount of money... that's a good part of having it done properly.

I've heard you can buy that particular chip, and dump a downloaded ROM onto it. (I can't recall where I read that)

Must've been that.

I thaught I read somewhere that they bought a blank chip, and downloaded a ROM onto it :/

Someone tell me where to DIY this chip lol.

It maybe untrue... I'm just wondering if I'm not thinking of something else :0

Just get an m50. Done. Then you know it's gonna give you 20hp more.

No point stressing the ol m20 to the brink of destruction.

Just get an m50. Done. Then you know it's gonna give you 20hp more.

No point stressing the ol m20 to the brink of destruction.

This. Be interesting to try, but not for 290 dollars lol.

An m50 powered e30 would be awesome, but just dont know how much it is really going to cost as i will not be doing most the work myself, and ive just got my B25 running mint.

I'll look into these and report back

Must've been that.

I thaught I read somewhere that they bought a blank chip, and downloaded a ROM onto it :/

Thats what I do, but you need good known rom images or you can do damage to the engine, or tune your own.

Ah I was thinking you had a M50 for some reason...

I can do you a chip if you want... PM me.

Any proven gains on the chips you make ?

Havent been to a dyno with one, e30_capri on here has one. He might be able to swap a original ECU in and do a before and after if hes keen.

Thats what I do, but you need good known rom images or you can do damage to the engine, or tune your own.

I thaught it was you. :P

Too bad I sold my spare ECU.

I put my E30zone chip back in, it is better then the factory ecu chip, not sure how much better though,

but the seller of it doesn't make big claims, these are only 30 pound, so a bit cheaper too.

This is what he told me originally:

Hi Charles,

Either Mild or Wild will be suitable for your car.

The Mild gives an extra 8-10bhp but dramatically increases low-down and mid-range torque for improved driveability and better fuel economy. The rev limit is raised to 7000rpm for when you're in the mood for a blast.

In my 1988 325iSE, this chip brought the 0-60mph time down from the standard 7.3 to well under 7 seconds and raised top speed from 135mph to 140mph, whilst returning 30mpg average with ease.

The Wild chip contains the Alpina C2 2.5 program, which if combined with a six-branch, BBTB and a 268/268 cam as per Alpina spec, will give up to 192bhp and a rev limit of 6500rpm. However, it will also give gains of around 10bhp on a standard M20B25.

For general daily use, I'd recommend the Mild, as it makes driving the car so much easier by eliminating the usual flat spots in the standard chip program.

Either will be £35 posted to NZ. If you'd like one, my Paypal address is mtjhunt@yahoo.com

I then asked about a chip for my 320i.

Hi Charles,

Yes, I am able to offer either Mild or Wild for the later facelift Motronic 320i:

320i/520i Chips for M20B20 with 172/381 ECU code:

1. M20B20 Mild; 7-10bhp gain. Improved mpg and low/mid-range torque, eliminates flat spots to perk up the throttle response, 6500rpm rev limit.

2. M20B20 Wild; 8-13bhp gain, to liven up the venerable M20B20, 6500rpm rev limit.

The mild would probably be most suitable for an automatic. If you'd like one, price will be £30 posted to New Zealand.

Regards,

I just ordered a mild chip for my 320i, claims better fuel economy.. gota be worth a go lol.

Came to $67.70 NZD.. extra 7hp on the 320i would be useful hehe

I just ordered a mild chip for my 320i, claims better fuel economy.. gota be worth a go lol.

Came to $67.70 NZD.. extra 7hp on the 320i would be useful hehe

Maybe it will actually move :rolleyes:

Maybe it will actually move :rolleyes:

Hmm I wouldn't count on it.

I had it in getting the A/C Re-gassed the other day, the loan car was a Subaru Legacy Brighton Wagon, 2.2 Non turbo, it seemed like an utter rocket ship compared to my 320i lol

OT but how much did the regassing cost ?

OT but how much did the regassing cost ?

Well it could have been cheaper, but I got a new drier unit and some new o-rings etc, came to $297incl, but should be good for years, the guy reckoned the system was in good condition.. said the newer ones aint always as well made, I was surprised that most of the parts were ok after 20 years.

I don't mind wasting $ on cars, the missus pays 1/2 of all repairs on the 320i, its

1/2 her car.. :)

Anyway.. back OT, the chip might make up for the power that the A/C steals if i'm lucky..

Edited by Charles28