Sign in to follow this  
JFry

Anyone check out a e34 for me?

Hey guys,

Been wanting a e34/e39 for a while now and just spotted this one on trademe. Would really like to know what else is wrong with it.

So if anyone would be able to spare an hour or so to check it out would be awesome (or anyone else has already checked it out?)

Cheers,

Jeff

Mate for 3 grand it would proberly be worth you going and having a look, it looks spotless(ish).

Sounds like a good deal to me.

Or get them to take it to a dealership up there to get a check done on it.

Guest Simon*

Looks great, wheels especially ;)

I would recommend sending it to Glenn. Have done it myself with several cars in Auckland and I can guarantee you will be able recoup what he charges (and it's not much at all!) when you've he's provided you a list of things you can knock the seller down on at sale time

Looks great, wheels especially ;)

I would recommend sending it to Glenn. Have done it myself with several cars in Auckland and I can guarantee you will be able recoup what he charges (and it's not much at all!) when you've he's provided you a list of things you can knock the seller down on at sale time

I want those wheels.

Jeff if you end up getting it i have some 15" basket weaves we can do a straight swap on ;)

Dam those wheels are nice! I wont say good price till you've had Glenn check it out.

Couldnt help but smile at this: "I know a guy who fell asleep while driving his 92 525i, hit a bridge (corner) at 80+ km & walked (stumbled) away with a broken colar bone"

Good luck!

Its a 530i... thats whats wrong.

Also... the 80-90km/h wobble will take more than what is said to repair, its got the E34 shimmy and will need new lower control arms, the big ones, so thats about $400 in parts plus fitting and then an alignment so over $500 to repair.

Its something you want to fix as that wobble is either starting to get worse or already really bad so the car shakes violently until you go faster than 90. I hated it when I first got my 540i last year.

Edited by Mike-E34

Nothing wrong with a good 530, better than a 2.5, 2.3, 2.0, 1.8.

Also... the 80-90km/h wobble will take more than what is said to repair, its got the E34 shimmy and will need new lower control arms, the big ones, so thats about $400 in parts plus fitting and then an alignment so over $500 to repair.

Your pricing is pretty off i think mate. I just sold a pair of brand new 'reaction rod' bushes for $110. They weren't E34 ones but E32 750i ones, far more superior than 5 series ones.

its best to replace the arm otherwise you will have to redo them when the ball joints go.Get new arms with the 750 or M5 bushes

$110, thats just for bushes.

I replaced the entire arms including ball joints & bushes, got a pair of Control arms for around $350 from Euro Italia and about the same for the thrust arms which were the actual problem causing the vibration.

Edited by Mike-E34

I went and had a look at this car last week. It was mint, apart from bonnet which needs a re-spray as the owner said. However on cold start up it blew a bit of smoke, and it was a singapore import.

Nothing seriously wrong with the car though, bit gutless for a V8, no power under 4000 rpm.

Edited by BBS-RS

Why have I dismantled 3 530`s with broken timing chains and many more 540`s without broken chains.

A well known M40B30 weakness.

However on cold start up it blew a bit of smoke,

replace the PCV valve at the back of the inlet manifold

Why have I dismantled 3 530`s with broken timing chains and many more 540`s without broken chains.

A well known M40B30 weakness.

That's not good :(

She's a champ she is. And what a looker.

Checked it out this morning. Perfect timing as it was nice and cold. Looks pretty straight apart from a few light scratches. I'm pretty sure I didn't even see one shopping trolley dent anywhere. It does however have a crack on the rear bumper and a few deeper scratches and a pretty deep scratch along the side of the front bumper (Got pictures for Jeffery).

The Style 5's are amazing :wub: They aren't too badly curbed but could do with a re-furb in the future. They do need a good clean tho. Not staggered either :(

Does smoke slightly on cold start up. Not huge puffs only a light stream. As brent said, PCV valve and it should be sweet.

It sounds pretty sweet, that V8 burble makes you shiver. Revving it, sounds sweet. Didn't notice any rattles in the engine.

The shimmy at 80-90km is very noticable while accelerating or braking. At one point is was shaking the whole car and it was pretty freaky. First time I had driven a E34 with the shimmy. However its a relatively easy problem to fix, thrust arm bearings.

The brakes feel nice and strong. Stopped very well from 100km.

The bonnet does need a respray. The seller hasn't mentioned but the rear bumper is in similar condition so that could do with a respray. Paint over the rest of the car looks almost mint with a good polish on it. (Few light scratches).

Now, performance. It doesn't have a jerk between 1, 2 or 3 at all on cold start up. You do get little bumps when changing between neutral and drive. Suspect a tranny flush would fix that. The sport mode of the transmission lives up to its name. Stick it in sport, drops down a gear, floor it drops down another one or two and it fly's over 3.5 - 4k. The speedo just keeps going up and up, classic V8. However under 3.5 -4k its pretty average. My 323 has more get up and go till about 4k. Doesn't have traction control (found that out pretty quickly!), floored it at the lights in drive with sport mode, and sh*t it bites. Not the best test for a wet morning :P thank god there weren't any cops around! So, its a beautiful cruiser. It does have power, the sport mode is great. How you drive it around town though the normal drive mode is more than adequate. No jerks between gears.

Not many rattles in the interior. All electric's work afaik. Air con doesn't as he mentioned in the auction. It blows but not at your set temperature. He thinks it just needs to be re gassed. Leather seats a little tired, could do with a good condition and recolour in some places but more the fine for daily use.

I purposely went into a petrol station and over drive ways and the front shocks sounded a bit loose. They might need replacing in the future. Steering felt alright. Not as tight as I would expect but in corners it felt nice.

It does need a good clean. Bit of dirt and grime under the bonnet etc. But overall it looks like a pretty good buy for sub 3K.

Think that's everything mate. Any questions PM me and PM me your email so I can send you my photos.

One other problem I noticed. While braking from 50k to a stop at the lights I noticed a sort of ticking coming from behind the dash. Sitting at the lights with my foot on the brake and it continued, tick .... tick .... tick. About 3 or 4 seconds between each. Continuously. Take your foot of the brake and put the handbrake on and it goes away.

Also paint flaking slightly and a bit of surface rust on the right hand front fender. Got a picture.

Thats a nice colour brent, how much are you after?

have pm'd you

post-279-1264236659.jpg