Sign in to follow this  
sascha

Stripped wheel bolt thread in the hub..oops

Didnt know where to post this..i figured its close enough to wheels?

Ok so, to start the kind of embarassing story...

Just before christmas i was putting my 17s back on my e30, so i had it all jacked up, swapped the left front wheel, tightened it up sort of (with the intention of fully tightening it up when i had it on the ground, as you do) and decided i deserved a quick drink (of water ofcourse! ;)) .

Anyway i got back from my drink, and went for a drive, but i forgot to tighten those bolts! long story short my front left wheel fell off, luckily not one of the brand new sportmax's, just a old 17".

Damage - scratches on the inside of the wheel where the disc rotor landed on it

- front left guard is stuffed because it landed on the top of the tyre with the weight of the car

- and the worst one is that the thread in the holes where the wheel bolts go is wrecked so i cant fully bolt a front left wheel on!

If anyone knows what the best thing to do is please help! the cars been off the road for over a month now and ive been stuck driving my girlfriends 1.5 auto lancer .. its driving me nuts! :wacko:

I had a chat to ray from hellbm and he said maybe a new thread can be drilled or something so i dont need to replace my hub? if anyone knows about this help would be appreciated :)

Cheers!

Wooah.. I would look at finding another 51mm front strut?

Way easier to just replace the whole thing, then trying to fix your one, because I bet there would be more damage than just a stripped thread on a bolt hole, from having the front rotor/hub hitting the road.

That would have been interesting Lol.

Edited by e30ftw

That's one of those once in a lifetime mistakes... I've had a couple of those... Never again will I try riding a quad along a step slippery hill haha.

Maybe it's a good idea to get it checked by a professional so they can diagnose exactly what needs to be fixed/replaced.

Yeah well luckily i wasnt going 80kph like about 30secs before it happened, i was only doing under 5kph on my gravel driveway, so it just kind of skidded to a stop. the rotor got saved by the wheel which was lucky, but yeah im gunna take it down to ray next week hopefully - i just want it back on the road!

haha yeah was "interesting" ..tell ya what i wasnt too happy with myself at the time!

How badly damaged is the thread? You may be able to retap it with the correct tools. We have done a few here successfully from when people managed to cross thread th ebolts.

You need a new wheel bearing...comes complete with flange/hub... don't attempt to fix t on a 4 stud wheel

How badly damaged is the thread? You may be able to retap it with the correct tools. We have done a few here successfully from when people managed to cross thread th ebolts.

Awesome i was hoping something like that might be possible.. i can get 3 of the 4 bolts in, but not smoothly. where are you and maybe i could come and bring it in for you to have a look?

You need a new wheel bearing...comes complete with flange/hub... don't attempt to fix t on a 4 stud wheel

Why not try fix it? is it unsafe?

And ok so what part would i ask for if i went to someone who is parting out an e30? just ask for the hub?

Cheers for your help everyone! :)

Why not try fix it? is it unsafe?

And ok so what part would i ask for if i went to someone who is parting out an e30? just ask for the hub?

Cheers for your help everyone! :)

You just need to ask for a wheel bearing...it comes complete... I cant tell you on here whether its repairable or not... safety comes first...fit a new one.

Just chuck a new hub/wheel bearing on.. thats the easiest option.

Didn't I just say that ?? :wacko:

Whatever you do don't try an Easy out. They are useless unless you buy a decent one and have the right gear to pull it out. I found out the hard way.

As said, get a whole new assembly. Ray will have one/.

Didn't I just say that ?? :wacko:

Yes you did Uncle Glenn, but I was just reinforcing the point to assure our friend here that it was the best option.

Cheers

Jason