Sign in to follow this  
deeveus

The Ford Falcon - No longer to be produced!

This makes the imminent death of the v8 supercars look more and more likely now.

Edited by Forrest

Yep, but the biggest issue is that Holden will drop their game, quite a shame really.

Its Bollox. Just the MSM Doomstanding as per usual.

Ford has quickly hosed-down the latest speculation that tried to spell the end of the local Falcon.

The 'One Ford' program announced by Ford's American chief, Alan Mulally at the Detroit Auto show aims to simplify the company's global model lineup - less different nameplates and platforms sold in more countries means lower development and production costs.

Ford says, rather than beginning the end of the Falcon, this means future Falcons will be integrated into the global scheme.

The logical replacement for the Falcon as Ford's large car in Australia would be the front-wheel-drive Taurus. 'Not so' says Ford - the hot-selling, iconic Mustang coupe is rear-wheel-drive, so the company will continue to develop rear-wheel-drive platforms and the next Falcon could share that platform with the Mustang.

According to Ford Australia, with the current FG generation Falcon scheduled to run - with several upgrades and facelifts in the pipeline - for another four years and the Territory SUV slated for production until 2016, the company's future is already being mapped out and is bright.

A key plank in that future is the current $230 million investment in new powertrain technologies for the Falcon - including a fuel-efficient four-cylinder engine.

Rather than the first chapter in a eulogy for the Falcon, Ford's 'One Ford' program could deliver Australian buyers a new global perspective on design and a platform shared with the Mustang - that would seem to be good news for the Falcon.

Yeah, they've been talking about it for ages and were considering an american re-bagged Taurus front wheel drive. But the layout it seems is doomed after the FG production.

It has to happen eventualy imo. People are starting to buy more fuel efficient cars and a Mondeo is nearly as big as a Falcon now.

The Mondeo is a better car than the Falcon IMO, especially in the Diesel variants.

Guest Simon*

With the adoption or integration of the Mustang platform for all RWD Fords, does that mean that future Coons will also have leaf-spring rear as well? :D

As an aside I pulled up next to the new gen SIDI Commodore at the lights the other day. Still seems a huge car for a 3.0L powerplant no matter how clever it is. It doesn't get off the line very quick either

Although I see it's still a V6 - I thought I had read that they were going to be a big 4 cyl. Maybe that was Ford?

Yeah but they are just about as powerful than the old 3.6? with less fuel consumption?

I've got no complaints about the fuel usage from my GTS, I'm averaging about 14-15 which for 307kw is pretty good.

Edited by Clinton

With the adoption or integration of the Mustang platform for all RWD Fords, does that mean that future Coons will also have leaf-spring rear as well? :D

As an aside I pulled up next to the new gen SIDI Commodore at the lights the other day. Still seems a huge car for a 3.0L powerplant no matter how clever it is. It doesn't get off the line very quick either

Although I see it's still a V6 - I thought I had read that they were going to be a big 4 cyl. Maybe that was Ford?

No, what it means is that they'll be utilising broadmeadows experience for the GRWD platform, hopefully bringing IRS to the american massess :P

Ford are scheduled to bring in a 2.0 DI Turbo four as an entry level model in the FG's mid life update, Along with a heavily revised I6 (DI also), a new V8, and there's also speculation of a blown 5.0.

Edited by -Alias-

Ironic really... Australia Day today and the Aussies loose Falcons :unsure:

Whats the bet the "new" v8 will still be a pushrod POS

The falcon uses a DOHC V8.

if they mix the markets they should send the falcon to us not mustang to aus

even if they use the mustang body the falcon is a far better car with a much more powerful and efficient engines and suspension is far better

Yeah, they've been talking about it for ages and were considering an american re-bagged Taurus front wheel drive. But the layout it seems is doomed after the FG production.

They considered that idea 18 years ago, it was released in aprill 92 that they were considering building a new FWD falcon, smaller engines etc blah blah. This ugly and sinfull thing ended up as what we call the mid-late 90's Taurus. The australian and NZ publis didn't want it. Same old story with the whole "no V8's" in the XF model, almost killed Ford Aus.

I will be suprised if Ford does go through with this idea.

Whats the bet the "new" v8 will still be a pushrod POS

Nothing wrong with good old push rods though. OHC is just about as old as pushrod valve actuation.

If Ford kills the Coon, we will have to attempt to tow the race car with a guttless Modeo....Yeah...Nah, not happening

Please please kill it Ford. And then lets hope like hell the Holden go under too.

Both of those cars are embarrasing. Bathurst has been shite since they went falcodore only.