Sign in to follow this  
kingkarl

Graffiti

Place I used to work had his book, "Banksy - Wall and Piece", must have read it a dozen times.

One of the very few true artists around in my opinion.

Anonymity, simplicity, execussion, humour. Love it.

E: My favorites (if there must be) are the walls in Isreal. Awesome story behind the 'installation' of the piece.

And, the 'permitted graffiti area' pieces he put around England. Not sure if they're in the link tho.

Edited by antony

I've always loved Banksy's work ever since I heard about him a few years ago.

My favourites are Rage and Looters, I like the way hes anoymous and yet well known. I've got a t-shirt that has Rage design on it, got it made.

I read somewhere that Angelina Jolie bought one of his pieces, I know some people are going to be againest his work but personally I reakon its an awesome way to get a point across even if some people don't understand it or like it

The man (Banksy) certainly has talent.... I'd much rather see his work on canvas though. I personaly have a pet "hate" when it comes to grafitti... its so destructive to personal property, the environment and to peoples lives who have to clean up the friggen mess left on property by these people. I feel very sorry for people who have their homes tagged... try getting paint off bricks. A dairy on my way home gets tagged every night and gets painted every day. The paint on the building must be 1/2" thick by now.

Banksy is the exception to the rule though Glenn.

People use his work as a selling point when they put thier houses on the market ha.

It also adds a bit of interest to what are otherwise terrible housing blocks.

I think his best work is the stuff he covertly hangs in gallerys.

My girlfriend has a copy of one of his designs on her wall.

Always loved his work

I like to see a bit of graffiti as long as it's done tastefully. His stuff is great.

Ok, tagging up some old ladies white picket fence is a bit low, but to be honest a bit of tagging on the buildings around where im staying at the moment ( in the ukraine ) puts a bit of colour into the place. I'm all for that.

Ok, tagging up some old ladies white picket fence is a bit low, but to be honest a bit of tagging on the buildings around where im staying at the moment ( in the ukraine ) puts a bit of colour into the place. I'm all for that.

+1

I like a bit of tagging where I am staying in Spain aswell it adds a little colour in winter very well put Mark, and its not stupid tagging either like Gangster names etc most of it is Art

Edited by AJ-E30

+1

I like a bit of tagging where I am staying in Spain aswell it adds a little colour in winter very well put Mark, and its not stupid tagging either like Gangster names etc most of it is Art

My favourite graffiti I've found so far. On the back street in Bratislava in the Slovakia. Nobody around, steep little street, had this little fella standing in the corner. I thought it was awesome.

Posted Image

The man (Banksy) certainly has talent.... I'd much rather see his work on canvas though. I personaly have a pet "hate" when it comes to grafitti... its so destructive to personal property, the environment and to peoples lives who have to clean up the friggen mess left on property by these people. I feel very sorry for people who have their homes tagged... try getting paint off bricks. A dairy on my way home gets tagged every night and gets painted every day. The paint on the building must be 1/2" thick by now.

I think it's really good when the town / city council provides a big blank wall specifically for artists to grafiti on ... like at a skate park or something like that

It gives the artists somewhere to show off their talent rather than on a dairy or poor old lady's house

Edited by Wom

Guest Ari Gold

As Goethe once said "I was, after the fashion of humanity, in love with my name, and, as young educated people commonly do, I wrote it everywhere"

If you're into graffiti documentaries, you can't really go wrong with the Aeroholics films, my personal favourite being "Bomb It" a really awesome look at how the whole scene evolved in different parts of the world, and how that has affected its acceptance and tolerance today - a prime example being New York's attitude compared to Brazil.

Banksy has done nothing new, he was pre dated by a French artists called "Blek le Rat" who came up with stenciling as a graffiti form way back in 1981.