Sign in to follow this  
deeveus

Good looking X5

Visit My Website

Nice looking truck, I've never seen a 4.4is before, always thought they were the 4.6.

Hi Clinton,

I just bought a x3 3.0 petrol off these guys. Never saw this X5; this is very nice indeed. I too like the colour and the interior is sweet considering it is 8 years old and has done 120kms.

These guys seem to get a few BM's on trade.

Enjoying your 3.0d?

Hi Clinton,

I just bought a x3 3.0 petrol off these guys. Never saw this X5; this is very nice indeed. I too like the colour and the interior is sweet considering it is 8 years old and has done 120kms.

These guys seem to get a few BM's on trade.

Enjoying your 3.0d?

Absolutely love it, I actually think I've found a car that does everything, it kinda goes offroad, it tows well, very economical yet very powerfull & has all the room that I'd ever need, oh yeah, it looks good.

3.0i in the X3 will pump along very well. I've driven the X5 variant and it was a little sluggish with the extra pounds it has to shift & the V8 doesn't use alot more fuel. I'm personally not a fan of that interior colour on that 4.4 "is" LOL

I actually discussed this with the service manager at Coombes in Hamilton, he said the 4.6is felt almost exactly the same to drive as a 4.4i, not a noticable increase in power. However he said the E53 4.8is really has alot more power. The E70 4.8 though is just too heavy and soft to make use of that power. Parked side by side, the E70 is MUCH bigger than the previous E53.

Apparently the one to buy (if you have a spare 100k) is the E70 3.0sd. Almost as quick as the V8, but only 7.9l/100km average.

Before I bought my X5, I test drove many examples of the 4.4i, 3.0 and 3.0D. The 3.0 was too gutless, and the diesel, while cheap on fuel, costs too much to manitain, and I worried that I'd always wish I'd bought the V8 instead. So I did :D with no regrets 2 years later.

On long trips I average around 12l/100km, and around 15l/100km in town. My average in the 60,000km I've owned the car is 13.8l/100km, combined open road, city and towing my boat. Best whole tank average I got 10.9l/100km and worst was 19.6l/100km.

I'd have to vote against that comment about the "4.4 vs 4.6" as I've driven them both. The 4.6 is a far more focused machine. Most people could feel a 45kw and 40nm increase. YES, mine was the clean one on the left haaha. Mine was a import 4.4 and the uncles was the 4.6is and driving them one after another you really can notice the difference, there kinda has to be with the price difference. I paid 22k for my 4.4, uncle paid over 60k for his NZ new low k one.

I hear you with the maintenance costs on the 3.0d services typically from the BMW agent are around the 800-900 mark, then again though the intervals are 25,000km Most BMW dealerships offer free servicing for two years as did my deal unlimted k's. They do make more economic sense because in the real world, the extra torque over the V8 makes a better drive & coupled with the 1000km to a tank I don't think you can go wrong. The ONLY thing missing is that V8 note!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Clinton

I had mine done last week and I'm pretty sure it's 25,000km the chap said. Will check my manual later.

nice to see more X5 owners popping up - are those Breyton Wheels?

How's the reliability/maintenence been?

Yep Breyton Vision 20's, missing the center caps on one side though, and so far impossible to replace.

Reliability has been pretty good, had a few issues with the fuel line being very sensitive, it was disconnected on two seperate occasions by BMW technicians for different reasons and not reconnected properly causing fuel starvation, and I've had to replace a few bearings and window regulators which I've read is pretty common around the 160k mark.

Servicing I have a third party warranty which forces me to do service every 15,000km, even though I still have 3 green lights showing on the service gauge, but generally only costs $250-350 each time.

I actually wanted to buy a diesel, but at the time they were around $10k dearer for the same year / milage, and I just liked that V8 grunt too much :-)

Yep Breyton Vision 20's, missing the center caps on one side though, and so far impossible to replace.

Reliability has been pretty good, had a few issues with the fuel line being very sensitive, it was disconnected on two seperate occasions by BMW technicians for different reasons and not reconnected properly causing fuel starvation, and I've had to replace a few bearings and window regulators which I've read is pretty common around the 160k mark.

Servicing I have a third party warranty which forces me to do service every 15,000km, even though I still have 3 green lights showing on the service gauge, but generally only costs $250-350 each time.

I actually wanted to buy a diesel, but at the time they were around $10k dearer for the same year / milage, and I just liked that V8 grunt too much :-)

Hey Aaron

I remember when you got your X5. How many k's has it done now? My old MK1 Black E53 had about 150 on it when I got it, sold it with about 180, but only used it as a weekend car and nearly had that a year, paid 23grand for it & boy was it immaculate.

I've just recently bought a 05 X5 3.0d and love it. I can drag my ATV from Dunedin to Christchurch and back on one tank of diesel & with the 500nm, power to burn. I'd say from 0-50kph the 3.0d would be slightly quicker, only because the torque comes in faster but my old 4.4 would probably beat it in a straight line.

Hey Aaron

I remember when you got your X5. How many k's has it done now? My old MK1 Black E53 had about 150 on it when I got it, sold it with about 180, but only used it as a weekend car and nearly had that a year, paid 23grand for it & boy was it immaculate.

I've just recently bought a 05 X5 3.0d and love it. I can drag my ATV from Dunedin to Christchurch and back on one tank of diesel & with the 500nm, power to burn. I'd say from 0-50kph the 3.0d would be slightly quicker, only because the torque comes in faster but my old 4.4 would probably beat it in a straight line.

Was at 120k when I got it, now up to 177k, 2 years on and I still love driving it :-)

I almost hate to bring this up, but I'm sure I saw a 4.4is last week in Akld. Only reason I noticed it was I didn't know they made one. . . . I can vouch for the 4.8, that's quick for a truck, felt better than the Cayenne S I drove last year.

Yer, they have obviously bought in a few 4.4is units.

How many k's are you getting out of a tank in the 4.4 Aaron?

Yer, they have obviously bought in a few 4.4is units.

How many k's are you getting out of a tank in the 4.4 Aaron?

I get anywhere from 600 - 750km per tank, depending on whether it is all open road or not. Can get past 800km per tank if I am gentle (but thats not often :-)