Sign in to follow this  
Boost Junky

Facelift Getrag 260 on Pre Facelift motor.

Hey guys, have bought a replacement Getrag 260 gearbox for my E30 but its a facelift box going onto the pre facelift motor. Is it possible to get someone to drill out the Crank sensor holes or am I best to swap it for a pre-facelift box? Id rather not swap as that would involve a whole lot of freight etc.. How about changing the housings over, has anyone got any diagrams of one of these transmissions broken down.

Cheers, Luke

Gearbox is a single piece, so removing bellhousings would be a much bigger hassle than shipping boxes around, a lot of cutting and welding is needed, but obviously anything is achievable.

Diagram

Also, you can have the sensors drilled in/attached, a few places do it, the most hassle free option is to get the box with the sensors already, either way! Who know's, it might cost you the same to have the sensors installed as it would to ship boxes around.

Edited by QuickSilver

Gearbox is a single piece, so removing bellhousings would be a much bigger hassle than shipping boxes around, a lot of cutting and welding is needed, but obviously anything is achievable.

Diagram

Also, you can have the sensors drilled in/attached, a few places do it, the most hassle free option is to get the box with the sensors already, either way! Who know's, it might cost you the same to have the sensors installed as it would to ship boxes around.

Or convert your motor to Motronic 1.3, better setup all round...

i had one done in my one in my e28 535i , baverian motors did it for me , just used drills on a air drill unit , just marked them off and used bigger and bigger drills untill it was the right size for the sensors etc . cost me about $100 or so

.or maybe maybe convert to motronic 1.3 system . and be done with that system

Diagram

Oh Alex I dont mean taking the bellhousing of sorry, I mean taking the rear housing off and swapping it over, both gearbox's are still fine its just the new Z3 shifter and linkage I have suits the newer facelift style gearbox because of the mounting on the rear housing.

Also theres a leak on the gearbox that came out of the car and its coming from the rear housing, presume its a seal so I will replace that seal and sell that gearbox. So really what I want to know is it simple to swap the rear housings over? From that diagram Alex it looks pretty straight forward but am I going to pull the housings off and find parts fall inside the gearbox and lose parts etc..

How hard is the motronic conversion??

Cheers, Luke

I think you need the 1.3 loom, Ecu, AFM.. and maybe something else? and just swap the lot over.

1.3 swap is pretty straight forward. You'll need these

1.3 loom

ECU

AFM (maybe?)

front crank sensor and the toothed crank wheel

Fuel rail, FPR, all the dizzy and coil etc are already there. TPS are the same.

I wouldn't try pulling that back piece off either it's a b*itch of a job..

Edited by e30ftw

Have a couple of Pfl. 260`s. Organise a swap.

1.3 conversions also avaliable.

Regards Ray

Have a couple of Pfl. 260`s. Organise a swap.

1.3 conversions also avaliable.

Regards Ray

Hey Ray! A local gearbox guru has got it sorted for me thanks heaps though. Hes going to drill the holes and tap the threads, reckons he can get it accurate to within a thousandth of an inch so that will save me heaps of coin.

How many gearboxs have you got there Ray? My mate has just bought an E30 and is looking at a conversion at some point.

Cheers guys for the help