Sign in to follow this  
danutt

all good

I really hope the rear parcel shelf (the metal structural part) hasn't been cut to fit those 6 X 9 speakers.

Good luck with the sale

I really hope the rear parcel shelf (the metal structural part) hasn't been cut to fit those 6 X 9 speakers.

Good luck with the sale

dont think so because it flew through its last warrant, i would never cut into the chassis

the car has the good stuff 4.10 diff , coupe and in manual..i know theres more involved in getting it into the race series like suspension,tyres and cage but then again it is going cheap....would be awesome too see it in the race series

Edited by danutt

dont think so because it flew through its last warrant, i would never cut into the chassis

You sure ?? Have you had a look ?

How much for us people not allowed to use Trademe during work hours :)

i just had a look and yes its been cut a lil approx 3cm to get speakers to fit and believe me i didnt do it...it could be welded if you going to use the car for the race series or if you just gonna use it on the road you could get to plastic covers and youl be sweet the cut is too small to affect structural strengh in any way but as i said before it can be welded easly if your desire is to build a series car

i just had a look and yes its been cut a lil approx 3cm to get speakers to fit

So whats everyones take on this matter?

Glenn, can you shed some light into your experiences. Would this pass or fail a genuine wof?

That area is structural and cant be tampered with. To fix properly would cost more than you are asking for the car. That area is not allowed to be welded either. It is a WOF fail if the AVI is doing his job properly.

So many E30's have been $%%#%& by doing this

Edited by *Glenn*

That area is structural and cant be tampered with. To fix properly would cost more than you are asking for the car. That area is not allowed to be welded either. It is a WOF fail if the AVI is doing his job properly.

Gutted. Was interested too. Cheers Glenn

Gutted. Was interested too. Cheers Glenn

Thats exactly why I had to ask the original question.. so that others could be aware of this problem. It was not intended to upset the OP. However this is a big problem and people need to be aware of this.... 6 X 9 's normally would ring alarm bells for me unless spacers are used.

Being prefacelift 318 it's not eligible for the series either.

My parcel tray has been cut, VTNZ, VINZ and indepedent garages don't even notice (even when inspecting my car to take it off a pink sticker, which takes them 3x as long as a normal warrant), 3mm cut isn't going to affect the structural integrity that much.

Why can't a for sale thread be left alone? Instead of ripping sh*t on people all the time. I think this is where the PM function comes in handy ...

I'll probably get served for speaking my mind, but as someone that doesn't post alot it frustrates me seeing threads ruined on a daily basis.

Edited by Josh_

My parcel tray has been cut, VTNZ, VINZ and indepedent garages don't even notice (even when inspecting my car to take it off a pink sticker, which takes them 3x as long as a normal warrant), 3mm cut isn't going to affect the structural integrity that much.

Why can't a for sale thread be left alone? Instead of ripping sh*t on people all the time. I think this is where the PM function comes in handy ...

I'll probably get served for speaking my mind, but as someone that doesn't post alot it frustrates me seeing threads ruined on a daily basis.

Unfortunately you also own a vehicle with a problem as well.

As a technical person .. I think I have a duty to inform forum members if I think there may be a problem .. I'm not "ripping sh*t" just pointing out there is a potential problem to forum members. Take it how you like.. and by the way I have been an AVI for over 25yrs my number is A6013

I don't see it as unfortunate thanks Glenn. I have never had a problem with it, I have also had another car with a slightly cut tray, and it has NEVER been an issue with anyone. I don't need your number but thanks anyway :)

I'm just honestly sick of threads getting turned into rubbish, and yes I realise I have contributed to this one.

You can safely assume that if it a fail then someone will fail it one day dollars for doughnuts.

You can safely assume that if it a fail then someone will fail it one day dollars for doughnuts.

spoke to a a wof guy today and asked him about it and he said if he cant see it itl pass everytime no matter where you take it

so the car is great and for peace of mind you could just put 2 plastic covers over the bottom of the speakers...really never had a wof issue surrounding this

car drives great uses no oil or water gearbox clutch and driveline are tight and for her age shes in great nick

i would even put covers in there myself if you are worried

but seriously they do not check

if you like the car come have a look youll see that this is a very minor issue

if it really is just 3mm, then there is no reason to be worried about it. BUT the law is the law, and so therefore this is unfortunately bargaining power against you.

My alpina e30 had the 6x9 holes patched and welded up very basically and it was certed so it could get a wof.... wasnt an issue at all

Making reference I'm glad you mentioned the parcel tray issue Glenn, as it would be my luck to buy a E30 project or any car for that matter and the parcel shelf had been molested. Vendor "never" had a problem with it but as soon as WOF time for me comes, the inspector thinks I'm arogant or snotty, or remind him of the kid who stole his lunch at school etc, and doesn't like the look and fails it because he can, it's what happens, it just does.

If people are having these passed but the law cleary states otherwise it is only a matter of time, am I correct, or do WOF guys just let it slip, close enough she'll be right?

I know I sound like a kook but I have had this happen before.

Just 1 example:

You know those little dimples on your seatbelt they stop the buckle from sliding to the bottom of belt Yes?

O.k one place would of failed me as I had no dimple and as it turned out I needed a whole new seatbelt and anchorage not cheap, anyway my local guy didn't even notice that, infact he had to reach to the floor and muck around and dig the bloody thing out never failed WOF on it.

i failed a warrant at this 1 place i went to, as it was closer to my place. he said the discolouration on the seat belt means that its old and worn and needs to be replaced. was watching the whole time he was inspecting my car and looked like he didnt even give a rats ass. went home cleaned it. went back and he passed it after checking the seat belt again. didnt even notice i just cleaned it.

next warrant i went to my usual mechanic and told him about the previous failing due to my seat belt and he laughed and said BS. no tares, no fibre coming off and belt properly stops and retracts. he passed it no sweat...

just cause it passes this time and this time the inspectore doesnt see it does not mean its going to pass again.

if the next owner takes their car to VTNZ to get warranted, which are notoriously thorough. they may spot the cut and fail it due to that and require the certified fix.

if one takes their car into vtnz and it fails. dont you need to bring it back there to get reinspected? cant bring it to another place??

if it really is just 3mm, then there is no reason to be worried about it. BUT the law is the law, and so therefore this is unfortunately bargaining power against you.

Read the first post, it's 3 cms, not 3 mms, quite a difference.

Read the first post, it's 3 cms, not 3 mms, quite a difference.

sorry you are correct! yes definately walk away