Sign in to follow this  
APT

Exhaust Opinions

Hey guys im going to be installing my headers in the next couple of weeks, and was thinking of getting the whole system done at the same time,just want to know what sort of exhaust combos have u found to be the best. Single or twin straight through ? size of piping and also what is the best muffler/exhaust tip - mostly sound wise.

THANKS Andrew

when i get round to installing my headers will be going 2.5inch straight through with one pipe to a dual square tipped outlet muffler may have to add a resisnator to the system may be a weee bit loud lol

I have a oval shaped tip and i still have the 1st muffler in there, and its waaay too loud. Its a deep sound, and it puts all those jap tuners to shame with its loudness.

Dual square tips seem to be better sounding. They sound mint and look awesome.

shapes of your exhaust tips does not equate to the type of sounds it produces. :wacko:

To a small extent tips do alter the sound, like a friend of mine put a pair of dual swept tips on his Golf Mk2 GTI and it gained a a metallic ringing sound, but this was caused by the metal resonating more than anything in tune with the exhaust none.

But the over all sound is created by the combination of tube size, header type, resonators and mufflers

Speaking of exhausts, I seemed to be good at making horrible 540i exhausts that made them sound like a nasty HSV.

I am still angry about that big fat waste of money.

Edited by Mike-E34

I run the factory twin straight through ( Headers - Cat - Muffler) ... I'd really like a new rear muffler.. as mines beginning to rust.

My friends car ran a single-through and I reckon the twin sounded a whole lot nicer than the single...

Single is probably better for cost/performance though.

I've got factory twin pipes all the way back to a twin in and out Power-Pro straight through muffler with a silencer in 1 pipe for the WOF man.

Most people seem to love the note.